PDA

View Full Version : Still can't get past thinking I have schizophrenia -_-

iheartdrift
16-05-13, 04:59
Ok I wrote a list of my "symptoms" and also symptoms I DON'T have here goes.
(Mind you I'm a bit ocd, have depression, little gad and little bipolar)

Things I Think I have;

I do sometimes get confused

I sometimes feel derealization

I think I possibly see random things or things moving In corner of my eye

Lost appetite

I mix words together sometimes and sentences (but always on the same subject and about the same thing, just change how I word it mid sentence I suppose)

Sometimes see a shadow where there shouldn't be one but I know it's not real
Or sometimes a flash of light almost like a star

Sometimes think I are things move or things move where there really isn't anything (in my peripheral)

A frequent feeling that my head just "doesn't feel right"

Get sometimes delusional thoughts but almost immediately realize they are irrational but then panic over it.

And paranoia that I'm schizophrenic... Never about anything out of the ordinary

And here's what I do NOT have;

I don't have hallucinations (that I know are hullicinations)

I don't have delusions

I don't hear voices

I don't isolate myself

I'm not antisocial

I don't speak in monotone

I do have expressions

I don't get irritable

I don't hear people in my head

I don't feel like people are controlling me

I don't lack personality, emotion or movement

I don't make up words

I don't have disorganized thoughts or speaking

But anyway, I don't know what to think. I'm always so fearful of having a serious issue even tho my phsychiatrist told me I don't have it but I have depression, and symptoms of; bipolar, OCD, and GAD...

If someone could just reassure me that km not crazy, I'd really appreciate it
Oh and I have constant anxiety most te time. And intrusive thoughts :(

I recently started taking flouxetine (Prozac) one week ago. But these things kind of happened before I started the meds by a few weeks

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

I would also LOVE to hear others stories about how they conquered the fear or at least let the same as I do... Thanks

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

Feel the same ***

iheartdrift
16-05-13, 14:59
Any advice?

Whiskey
16-05-13, 15:27
Hey
All the things you say you experience, so do I, esp things moving in my peripheral vision and im on it like a hawk because I always think its a spider!!! All the thing you do not experience, neither do I. I do not think I suffer with schizophrenia but I know I do suffer with anxiety and panic attacks. Im on day 27 of fluoxetine its been up and down but I feel its beginning to level out a bit, I hope, its still early days! Even before I went on the meds I was feeling not quite with it, like my mind was about a second behind my body, esp when out and about. I occasionally see flashes but I think im starting to chill out a bit now. Your doc said you do not have schizophrenia, so please try and relax. Anxiety really does mess with your head, I cannot believe some of the thoughts ive had and fears. Ive suffered with anxiety on and of for 20yrs and when im well I look back and cannot believe some of my behaviours. Your not mad and neither am I!! I hope your meds kick in soon and give you a bit of respite from these horrible feelings, let us know how your getting on with it.
Hope you feel better soon xx

iheartdrift
16-05-13, 17:23
Yeah I've been taking the flouxetine for 7 days now.. It was great the first 3 days, then it kind of went a little downhill.. Feel just odd all the time some in constantly trying to analyze it. But I'm glad that you have thought the same things as me and have the same "symptoms" (not that I'm glad that you have it cause it's terrible I feel bad) I don't feel so alone. But yeah, I'm trying to train my brain to not worry about it. But as of now I'm not officially working. I'm out of my home state. (I'm from USA) so I don't have my friends or anyone to hang out with. I'm acting as a driver for my moms bf because he lost his license, so I have nothing but time to think and think and think -__- it's killing me lol.

Anyway, have you found a way to train your brain to think differently? Any tips on how to tell yourself and reassure yourself that you're not schizo?

anthrokid
19-05-13, 15:28
Heya,

You're definitely not crazy! And you're not alone either! The fear of having/developing schizophrenia is actually quite common around this site. It tends to occur a fair bit in anxiety sufferers.

You are displaying absolutely no symptoms of schizophrenia. Everything you've listed that you experience are indications to me that you do suffer from a degree of anxiety, and ocd given your obsessive and paranoid thoughts on the topic of schizophrenia (and both of these you are already aware of).

You've said that you've started prozac, which is an effective medication in treating depression, anxiety AND ocd, so you're off to a good start. Prozac can take up to six weeks to take effect though, so don't worry or be upset if nothing changes straight away. Given that your thoughts tend to be triggers of your anxiety, some form of cognitive behavioural therapy would probably be particularly beneficial. All CBT does is teaches you how to restructure your thoughts in a manner that won't cause you anxiety. However, this also takes time.

Your psychiatrist should be able to work through some form of CBT with you, in conjunction with the medication, or they may direct you to a psychologist or counsellor for this. In the mean time, you can look up basic cognitive restructuring models (ways to train yourself to think differently) online. I've added a couple of links so you can take a look, but the best course of action would definitely be to ask your psychiatrist about this and whether it may be helpful.

http://www.austincc.edu/colangelo/1318/cognitiverestructuring.htm
http://www.mindtools.com/stress/rt/CognitiveRestructuring.htm

iheartdrift
10-06-13, 16:51
Just wanted to give you Guys an update on my current state. I started taking the prozac about 5 weeks ago. And have noticed a huuuuge difference :) these sort of intrusive thoughts don't bother me so much anymore, I learned to easily forget them. I'm way more happy and excited about things, enjoying life much more, don't have a 1/3 of my intrusive thoughts as I did. And also my anxiety has for the most part calmed down about 80%. One thing I have noticed tho is drinking is not a good idea... During the buzz, I'm totally fine. But AFTER the night of drinking, I have horrible anxiety :(((( minor panic attacks and a lot of anxiety. It lasts about 2 1/2 days... Anyone have similar experiences with this?

Also, I have NO MORE FEAR of schizophrenia !!!! ;)))))))))
Hope this helps others, there is hope! I promise! If I can conquer it, you can!!!