PDA

View Full Version : Advice about exercise

annie.hall
16-05-13, 17:49
I'm trying to conquer my couch potato habits and most importantly my great fear of exercising and I'm a little lost. I bought a stationary bike and I always wait for the "best" moments during the day to jump on it... If I'm hungry, I have to eat. But then I have to wait an hour to avoid stomach cramps and nausea. I also pick the time I'm less tired. Well you get the picture. And then I wonder about the intensity and the duration of the exercise. I'm really scared of those bodily sensations that come with exercise, so I have trouble even exercising for 10 minutes in a row. So I try to split in two the 20 minutes I have to do and hope to one day feel better about doing it in one session.

Do I have to think about all of those things? Has anybody succeeded to beat their fear of exercise and how long did it take them to start feeling the advantages of exercise?

I'm sorry for flood of questions, it's 10 times worse in my head! Thanks!

Mipsy
16-05-13, 19:55
Hi Annie,
I am one of those people with a gym membership who never goes! Like you, I want to try however, sometimes life gets in the way.
Have you ever tried MyFitnessPal? I use the app on my phone. I log food intake and exercise. I'm losing weight slowly but surely. I even log if I've been out a walk with the dog, or walked to school to pick up my kids. I'm not at the stage of gym exercise yet.
I suppose I'm trying to say, start small and build up slowly and surely.
Good luck.

Spot-the-frog
16-05-13, 20:22
I too have started to do 20-30 minutes of exercise a day. When I started on my exercise bike I started with 10 minutes and built it up slowly to 30 minutes. I always do my exercise bike while watching something good on tv, it takes my mind off things. I try and alternate the exercise bike with doing stuff on the wii (wii fit, zumba etc), and also go out for walks.

I also do myfitnesspal, and have lost weight and now at my goal weight. Really think it is a great app.