PDA

View Full Version : Eat Bananas!!!

aboutasponge
28-09-06, 12:01
Hey people,

I was watching "you are what you eat" last night and they said that eating bananas helps to reduce anxiety and depression! I dont really eat fruit and i hate veg but i'm going to go shopping tonight and get me some bananas!!

Rach xxx:D

howiecats
28-09-06, 12:19
Hi

I have recently started taking vitiamin B tables, using the Bacs Rescue remedy and eating bananas. I believe these are helping me alot. I have been really quite happy for the past two weeks. Fingers crossed that i really helps me. I do still feel funny sometimes but i go and do something straight away to take my mind off it.

R.Stevenson

Wannabeloved85
28-09-06, 12:25
Ive heard about this before, im a big believer in all natural remedies, and food deffinelty falls in that catagory

Becci x

trevor
28-09-06, 12:38
hi guys,,

BANANAS have some ingrediants like similar to PROZAC i saw on a tv progg sometime ago,
they do help ,,

trevor,

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

Wannabeloved85
28-09-06, 12:43
its serotin or something isnt it?

B x

Quirky
28-09-06, 13:58
I have always eaten lots of bananas and it's never helped me, but it's worth a try. In theory it should help as bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.
Bananas are high in B vitamins that help the nervous system.

Good luck,

LJ

Wannabeloved85
28-09-06, 14:40
thats the one! lol i knew it was something to do with serotonin!

B x

aboutasponge
28-09-06, 15:37
Yes thats what they said, i couldnt remember. Does anyone else know of any other fruits or veg, i hate them but if its going to help me i will eat them.

Rach xxx

Quirky
28-09-06, 16:00
There are many foods that are supposed to help with anxiety. Celery is supposed to be very calming if you eat a few sticks of it, lettuce is calming too. So many foods are good but in general just try and follow a healthy diet and eat wholegrains, fruit and vegetables, fish for omega 3 oils and other foods containing healthy fats (like avocados) and cut down on salt and sugar. Caffeine can really aggrevate anxiety by causing more stress hormones to be released like adrenaline, sugar can cause this too as can MSG (monosodium glutamate). Any foods rich in b vitamins, calcium, vitamin C and magnesium are very good too. Avoiding artificial sweetners like aspartame can also really help. Try and eat little and often and have a healthy snack between meals, this helps keep blood sugar balanced. Oats (eg porridge) can have a calming effect on the body too. Turkey also contains tryptophan the same as bananas as does milk (especially good drunk as warm milk unless you are dairy intolerant). Some of these foods only contain small amounts of these helpful nutrients though so the best thing is just an overall healthy balanced diet.
Hope this helps.

Lisa x

Phill2
29-09-06, 01:32
I find bananas are great . For a good nights sleep eat one an hour before bed.
Trouble is at the moment they're $12 a kg here
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

missacorah
29-09-06, 09:32
Great - will get some today.Tesco will wonder why their sales of bananas has suddenly risen by 50% lol!

manmoor
29-09-06, 10:10
Tesco banana sales have just risen another 10% lol.
Wow had no idea about this fact thank you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

sarah1984
29-09-06, 13:17
Cool-I love bananas! Yeah, I agree Vitamin B6 is supposed to be brilliant for your mood especially for us ladies with our PMT!
Sarah

polly daydream
29-09-06, 19:00
I eat a banana everyday since hearing about them helping with depression, I do feel better. They can also help lower blood pressure but you need to eat at least two a day, its the potassium in them that does it.

Take care,

Polly

kilvosa
30-09-06, 00:28
hi well i am certainly going to buy some bananas tomorrow feeling really awful at moment. Tingly fingers am tired allthe time not sure if im strating the menopause or not . Had panic attaks two years ago was on medication for a year came off last year and been feeling panicky lately finding hard to breath( but i know i can breath) feeling wierd waking in the night jsut feel lousy.
all the best Anne xx