PDA

View Full Version : Mum's death and anxiety

Mipsy
16-05-13, 18:42
Hi, I'm new to the forum this week.
My HA has been creeping back. I'm wondering if it could be linked to the anniversary of my mum's death? Which is this week.
Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
I'm hoping it's just temporary as I've been having CBT for 2 years which has really helped.
Thanks in advance.

frazm88
16-05-13, 18:46
Hi,

I haven't been through similar but I'd say it would be natural and normal for any person to have anxiety for that reason.

Carry on with your CBT and don't let the the anxiety get on top of you.

fraz

Tessar
16-05-13, 18:48
Hello mipsy, I am so sorry about your mum. Yes I feel it could most definitely be a trigger, anniversaries such as that are very poignant and I feel it is very natural to be mindful of what she meant to you. Even after doing CBT, life of course still throws things at you and in my experience, the habits of old can indeed creep back in when we are sad or stressed, or both even. So please don't worry too much, what I'd suggest is reminding yourself of the things you learned in CBT that were particularly helpful.
You really have come to the right place here mipsy and I a, so glad you have found NMP because you will get lots of support and make good friends here.
All the best to you and remember that you can do something about how your feel as you are armed with excellent skills from CBT. Warm hugs...

flori
16-05-13, 18:48
Mibsy, It could possibly be that. When I went for my first session of CBT a couple of weeks ago and I mentioned to the therapist a health scare I had a year ago, she said that, that and other worries could have been enough to trigger bad anxiety again.

AceOfSpades
16-05-13, 18:56
Hi Mipsy.

I think you may find it is linked to the anniversary as my mother passed away just over 4 years ago and that is around the same time that my life started to fall apart (other things were happening as well).

But I found near to the anniversary of her passing my HA would play up more for a week or so and then fade away.

It is a hard time but the old saying that it gets easier as time goes on is true...

Mipsy
16-05-13, 18:57
Thanks Fraz, Tessar and Flori for your support.
I was worried that perhaps I wasn't in a place where I though I was.
You are right T, in that life will still throw the unexpected at us.
I've been reading a lot on here over the past two days and it's such a relief to know I'm not alone. Everyone seems so lovely.
Thank you again.

Edit: thanks AceofSpades. Sorry you have experienced similar. Thank you for sharing your experience and glad to know it may only be a blip in my life right now.