PDA

View Full Version : How often to take Diazepam

WhitlockWood
17-05-13, 14:00
Hi,

new to the forum and to diazepam. I've been prescribed the 2mg dosage to knock my mild anxiety on the head. It began a month ago when a friend told me she's terminal, the following day I lost my appetite, felt sick, didn't eat well for three days and began shaking pretty much as soon as I woke up. This stopped after a week, but began again last week for no reason I can think of. Appetite only just returning, but my doctor gave me 2mg diazepam to help. I took the first tablet at 10:30am this morning, by 11:30am I was yawning and slightly more relaxed, now it's nearly 2pm and I'm becoming jittery again. How long should I wait between doses of the medicine and should I up the dose to two tablets at a time? The prescription label says one or two tablets three times a day if needed.

Also, does how and when you take it make a difference? ie two before bed for an anxiety free next day, before, with or after meals?

cheshirecatqee
17-05-13, 14:57
Diazepam works quite quickly so don't bother taking 2 before bed to affect next day, just take when you feel anxious.

I would space 2 tablets 3 times over the day for now but do judge it on a day by day basis. Some days you might not feel you need them as much

WhitlockWood
17-05-13, 15:04
This round of anxiety isn't as bad as last time. Last month I pretty much spent 3 days in bed, for some reason I was calmer there, whereas being up and about I was shuddering a lot. These past 7 days haven't been as bad, just no appetite and the odd tremors here and there, especially as soon as waking.

I think if I'm still jittery around 4:30 I'll take another one, since usually from 8pm onwards I'm at my calmest, then tomorrow if I wake shaky, I'll take two and see how that goes.

Thanks for the help

cheshirecatqee
17-05-13, 15:09
yw :) Hope everything calms down for you, maybe think of asking doc about therapies if the anxiety keeps recurring

WhitlockWood
17-05-13, 15:13
I may have to. I assumed it was health anxiety, a mix of my friend's condition and my recent disturbed menstruation and diagnosis of hypothyroidism, but now it seems it may also be related to my partner's sister. She has mental disabilities and literally just began screaming and banging around a few minutes ago, now I'm shaking again even though I've been around her for near six years and dealt with these tantrums of hers almost every day.

cheshirecatqee
17-05-13, 15:19
Counselling is another option as sometimes we need help at different stages of life and it looks like you are having to cope with a bit too much at the moment.

WhitlockWood
17-05-13, 15:21
Can this be gained through the doctor, or does it have to be private, because I sure haven't the money to pay.

cheshirecatqee
17-05-13, 16:04
I would ask doctor as they may be able to refer or know of any free counselling services.

I'm lucky that there is a free counselling charity close to where I live but don't know if other areas would have a similar thing

WhitlockWood
17-05-13, 18:32
Thank you, I'll ask next time I consult with the doctor. Just having some tea then I'll take another pill, still shaky.