PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man and Mental Health

Rennie1989
17-05-13, 15:17
THIS THREAD DOES NOT GIVE AWAY THE STORY PLOT OF IRON MAN 3 BUT I AM WARNING YOU THAT THE CONTENT I HAVE WRITTEN BELOW MAY BE CLASSED AS A SPOILER. IF YOU WANT TO WATCH THE FILM AND DON'T WANT ANY HINTS OF THE CONTENT THEN READ NO FURTHER (EVEN THOUGH WHAT I AM WRITING IS CONTAINED IN THE SYNOPSIS). YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I did write this in the Misc. forum but I got no replies so I assumed that this thread would be better off here.

I must say this film is just uber FANTASTIC! I am a massive fan of Marvel films anyway but this aspect really impressed me, someone who really wants stigma on mental health stamped out.

After The Avengers Assemble Tony Stark (or Iron Man) develops PTSD from the events he witnessed. He suffers from lack of sleep, night terrors and and anxiety attacks from trigger phrases.

That is the spoiler, see, wasn't so bad.

I love how a blockbuster film, like Iron Man, created by Marvel and Walt Disney, have brought in current issues and, almost, taboos from our society. Like other films in the past mental illnesses like depression, anxiety and panic attacks are written so poorly it makes the illness look trivial and small, when, as we know, are certainly not. Although some Psychological journals disagree I believe it has been scripted and acted in a way that people who do not suffer from the condition understand how debilitating such conditions like PTSD and anxiety attacks really are.

I am so proud that such an organisation has brought in mental illness in this way. It is another step forward into ending the massive stigma attached to mental illness. Although the stigma will never fully disappear we are definitely on the right path to making mental illness recognised as a REAL illness.

HOORAY!!!

Ow, I have emailed Mind and Rethink, I haven't heard from Mind yet but Rethink have asked me to send my article to their magazine editor and to newspapers. I'm excited to hear back from the magazine editor but am unsure as to what newspaper to send my article to. Any advice would be great :)

jelly2010
18-05-13, 19:46
That's great! I haven't seen the movie but as someone who has suffered PTSD (amongst other things!) it's comforting to hear it's been portrayed well and not trivialised.
Thank you for sharing.
J x

flori
18-05-13, 20:41
I must ask my son about it. He went to see it last night. As it was at a 10.30 sitting and I believe it was on for well over 2 hours he never got home until late.

Rennie1989
19-05-13, 10:01
Thanks for the responses :)

I've emailed Time to Change (can't believe I forgot them!) and three newspapers. Hopefully I'll have at least one response by the end of next week!

Flori - I think it was about 2.5 hours long! We watched it at half 8 and didn't get home until 11 :ohmy:

flori
19-05-13, 11:51
Rennie, that`s about right because it was nearly 2.00am when he came in. By the time he drove from the cinema and then dropped a friend off. The reason I go on about the time is -he forgot his key and I had to wait up.:mad: