PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive Thoughts? new to board wld luv ur advice

fuunkee
28-09-06, 16:38
:D

Hi all,

Im new to the board today, was wondering if you could give me your opinion.

I went to the doctor recently for a routine visit and for the first time ever saw my notes.

I took a browse whilst I was waiting and on the front of my notes where they have general info on me. It had that I suffer from Obsessive Thoughts.

It shocked me because i was not aware that I suffered or was diagnosed with Obsessive Thoughts. In fact I was quite upset by it.

All I can think that this refers to is about 10 years ago i went for councelling at my request following a period of time i was feeling low, was going through a rough time and felt i needed someone to talk to.

At no time was I told I had obsessive thoughts.

Since then Ive been looking up what it means and im confused, is obsessive thoughts a form of OCD.

Would love to hear what you think.

Many thanks

Fuunkee :D

scoobygirl2005
28-09-06, 16:46
Hi.

Welcome to the forum. I have ocd, have had it for over a year now. I was confused about ocd when I first knew that I had it, but once I spoke to the doctor and came on this website I found out that lots of other people suffer with it and I began to understand what was going on.

Obsessive thoughts is a form of ocd, don't be confused, if you look on the main website www.nomorepanic.co.uk it has some information about ocd on it and may help you to understand it more. When you saw what the doctor had written on your notes did you ask your doctor about it?

You will get lots of help and support on this forum so keep posting and lots of people will reply and give their advice to it.

Feel free to pm me if you need any advice or have any questions. [^]

Scooby2005
x x

hayles
28-09-06, 16:59
Cant help I am afraid as dont have OCD but
just wanted to say welcome

Hay x

neonpink_smurf
28-09-06, 18:00
I'm not sure if obsessive thoughts is a form of OCD i'm not entirely sure that it is, but it is definitely a part of anxiety, i feel its when thoughts are occurring in your head but rather than dismiss them,ignore them or treat them as unimportant its when you can't let them go. Thats how i understand it anyway, I don't have OCD but i would say that sometimes my thoughts can be recurring and too much focus given to them!

redbaron
29-09-06, 10:29
Hi Fuunkee

I am 34 and when speaking to my Dr this year the possiblity of OCD was mentioned for the first time in conjunction with actions that I have been doing for what I can remember of most of my life. I do tend to obsess about things, it's a rather all or nothing arrangement. I hoard on themes, I am untidy and disorganised in most of my life but obsessively and analy tidy in others.

Remember OCD and obsessions are a sliding scale, some people suffer from them so badly they cannot function, others have little quirks. It ain't all about hand washing as I have found out.

I don't know if you find that the tendency to obsess is worse when you are bored or unhappy etc. if so then it would suggest that if not cureable the condition is manageable.

If there's anything I can do to help then don't hesitate to ask, there are plenty of others here who suffer from similar things, sometimes it is eerie how similar we feel about things. You aren't alone.

cheers

Dom x

If what doesn't kill us makes us stronger it's a pretty fair bet it's going to hurt.

fuunkee
03-10-06, 12:50
:D Hi Neon, Dom, hay and Scooby,

Thank you all for your replies and warm welcome to the board.

I did not expect so many replies and so pleased I joined the board. Its nice to hear and share other peoples experiences. I can relate to so much of what I have read on the board.

Since reading on my doctors notes that I suffer from Obsessive Thoughts, its made me think about the way I am. Ive noticed that Ive changed so much. From being so confident and outgoing, the life and soul of any social event to being withdrawn, quiet, shy and really nervous.

Im a compulsive worrier, I worry about what people think of me, did I say this right, did I do this right etc etc. I fear being embarassed and continuously look for reassurance about the way I look, what I said. This has got much worse in the last 2 years. Others have noticed how Ive changed too.

I worry continuously to the point that on a bad day, I wont go out, I will avoid people I know just so I dont have to talk to them.

Its making me feel isolated and I get frustrated with myself and not sure what to do about it. I know its a problem but Im too scared to tell my doctor, as I would feel like they think Im mad or something.

Would love to hear what you think I should do.

Take care

Fuunkee x

Humly
04-10-06, 10:03
It probably means that you just worry a lot. I too am a compulsive worrier and go over and over things in my head so I suppose that I too suffer from obsessive thoughts. Isn't that what worrying is all about. I've gone through the avoidance thing too. I have made excuses not to go somewhere if I am feeling bad just so that I don't have to talk to anyone so you see you are not the only one. Read some of the other posts on general anxiety etc and you will get some good advice.

All the best.

newdad
04-10-06, 13:42
I posted for the first time today under "Any reassurance" then found this thread.

I think that what I am experiencing is obsessive thoughts about my son's name (eg. It's too long, it's too unusual, it's a girls name, he'll have trouble saying/spelling it) and this has blown out of all proportion because it's something that will always be with him. this is what worries me as I feel it is not something I can avoid.

There is a bit of a pattern here as about 3 years ago my (then) girfriend and I split up as I felt we were not suited. This developed into an obsession with me in that I would see women in the street, on TV, at work etc and the first thing I would think about them would be how much more compatible I would be with them!! the split didn't improve things and I went to counselling for a year. She is now my wife and I cannot believe I ever had such ridiculous thoughts. She hasn't changed and I wouldn't want her to.

THis obsession is along the same lines, I feel I cannot be happy while my son's name is Mackenzie, but my wife adores it as does nearly everyone I know.

I need to know I won't always feel like this.