PDA

View Full Version : Hair dye allergy test

almamatters
19-05-13, 12:22
I managed to dye my hair a few weeks ago with a temporary dye and was ok. Because I have had to change brands I have now started to do the allergy testing again, have done it 4 or 5 times and have had a bit of itching but not much else. I don't know if slight itching is a bad sign or not. I want to stop this as it is becoming a bit of an obsession, I am wasting money keep buying dyes just to an allergy test. Can I get tested for allergies at the doctors does anyone know? Thanks

Worrychick
19-05-13, 12:27
Why do you not ask your hairdresser/barber? :) I think a mild itching is okay; but a big rash wouldn't be. x

almamatters
19-05-13, 12:31
I have had allergy tests done at the hairdressers and they were a bit itchy as well so did not have the guts to go back and have it done. Have been dying hair for years before this but have become panicky about hair dye and meds. There was not a rash so felt ok about that, my problem is the constant rechecking , did a lot of tests last week and still not convinced one way or another. Thank you. xx

Mipsy
19-05-13, 12:39
Did it itch at the base of your hairline? I often get itching there and a hair dye can aggravate it. I asked my doctor and he said I had some eczema. I usually put some cream on it to help.
A tip when dyeing your hair (works if the itching is not located all over) is to rub some Vaseline on the area before putting the dye on.
Also, I have found the ammonia free hair dyes less irritating. Herbal Essence is the one I tend to use.
Hope this helps.
X x

flori
19-05-13, 12:44
I have eczema and allergies and go to dermatologist. I have had tests done and I`m have no allergy to hair dyes, but they still irritate my scalp. You may be allergic or it could be you have sensitive skin.

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Mipsy are the ammonia free good and do they cover greys.:blush:

Mipsy
19-05-13, 12:45
Another thing I've just thought of as well, is if I lie in the bath, afterwards the base of my hairline is often itchy. Doc says it could be a slight allergy to the bath products.
Could be as Flori said, you have sensitive skin.

Flori, yes they do cover grey, as I have a bit at my ears and a patch at the front and it covers it up. I do admit to keeping the dye on slightly longer than it suggests on the packet though!

flori
19-05-13, 12:54
Thanks Mipsy, I must give it a try. Ammonia stings like hell:)

AlexandriaUK
19-05-13, 13:10
If it’s just a mild itch I would say it’s probably ok, but if in doubt ring the help line for that particular product, every time I dye my hair I do a skin test, sometimes it stings a little but no inflammation so ok with me, you MUST always do the skin test because although you can do it many times and its fine, your bodies reaction can change, especially with hair dyes.
It’s when you have used the same dye for years without a problem and so become complacent and think it’s ok not to do the skin test and wham you suffer a reaction.
You may find that because you keep doing the patch test it’s irritating the skin especially if you do it in the same place every time.

almamatters
19-05-13, 13:22
Thanks all !! I do have sensitive skin and struggle with moisturisers etc, the dye I have brought is ammonia and peroxide free and it only lasts 8 washes it is a nice and easy semi permanent . I am going to leave the test the full 48 hours and see what happens. What I normally do though is when the 48 hours is up , decide to do another test and then wait another 2 days and so it goes on.

Magic
19-05-13, 16:15
almamatters,
You are doing the right thing. I had a permanent hair dye about 2 months ago and the colour came out very dark. I did it myself and of course there were patches of light. It is just about getting back to my own colour by washing with a dandruff shampoo. I also felt a bit queasy when the dye was on my scalp, no allergy though.
so I will stick to my own colour for a while then try one like you are having.
Best of Luck:)

almamatters
19-05-13, 18:40
Thank you :flowers: x