PDA

View Full Version : First visit to a a NHS doctor in 12 years after living abroad

ricardo
19-05-13, 15:44
On Tuesday I have an appointment with the head of our local practice and as I am agroaphobic the surgery has arranged a time when i won't have to wait.
I have 10 minutes to discuss my GAD,HA and OCD.and often get paranoid.I have given my Englishdoctor's notes who attended me in Spain beforehand but for some reason I feel extremely nervous .
Has anyone got any advise as to how i should approach the appointment.
Our journey home has had an enormous toll on me and if anything I feel more nervous than ever before and extremely tired.
I am on propanol and (Alprazolam which I know doctors don't like to prescribe)but they help more than any other drug and I don't abuse the 2mg that I take daily split over 4 quarters.I can't take SSRI medication as i get urine retention,something confirmed by my urologist
I never wanted to come back to England but my daughter's various illnesses over a period of 15 months together with not getting the right guidance for myself made the decision for us and my wife wanted to return home anyway as all our other children and grandchildren live here.

We have been back nearly a month,moved three times in total and even in my own home I am literally trembling 24/7 and at the same time having to make countless phone calls and write endless e mails all apppertaining to the house move.

I don't usually plead for help but give advise but I am concerned that I generally feel so ill and extremely anxious.

Annie0904
19-05-13, 15:51
A move like the one you have just had would take its toll on anyone so I can understand you feeling even more anxious and tired at the moment. Hopefully your new GP will be able to give you the help that you need so desperately. If I was you I would make notes to take with you so you don't forget to tell him things. make sure you tell him/her exactly what is going on and how you are feeling. :hugs:

Magic
19-05-13, 16:00
Ricardo,
Ever lightly you feel ill, what with all the moves since you arrived.
Just try your best to be calm even though you have a lot to do.
It will all work out ok soon. Don't worry so much. It won't get you
anywhere.
That's all the advice I can give Ricardo, but I wish you all the very best
and I am sure things will get better soon.
Keep us posted. We all love you to bits:hugs::hugs::hugs:

dally
19-05-13, 16:13
First if all I would ask for a double appointment. My dr told me to ask the receptionist for a double appiontment when I knew the dr was going to be giving me a smear etc. so it's common practice to ask for double appointments.
Failing that, when I have been very distressed, my gp has always spent the time to listen to me, forgoing the allotted 10 mins they have for each patient. This is one reason, I'm never annoyed at being kept waiting in the drs surgery (although I still panic like mad whilst waiting!!!)
Also I would write a list and prioritise the problems you need most help with r

Snoodlester
19-05-13, 16:52
Hi Ricardo
I've been following your travels as that's one of my biggest fears - so it's a great achievement what you've been through :D I can only repeat what the others have said - take a list of things you want to talk about. I never do, and I come away thinking - oh I wish I'd mentioned such and such. But I went to the GP on one occasion and told her about my anxiety and persistent headaches - it got so bad I ended up going to A&E. They were worried about my headaches and said they'd write to my GP telling her to refer me to the headache clinic. When I went back to my GP she almost told me off, saying you never mentioned your headaches before! So it doesn't always work :wacko: But for the next few days write down anything you want to discuss, every symptom or anything you're worried about - I think the GP relies on us to tell them everything - sometimes symptoms/niggles are unconnected but may still be relevant.
Hope it goes well, Sue x

clio51
19-05-13, 22:06
Hi Ricardo,

Gosh doesn't time go quick a month.

Even somebody without anxiety would be extremely anxious and irratable, with 3 house moves in a month month this is so unusual. So I'm not surprised you feel like you do Ricardo it's perfectly NORMAL, you need to get relaxed again( or as good as) and was things are sorted with your phone calls etc this will happen it takes time. Now your back in your own house this may start because there is no more moves.

As to the doctors with a bit of luck they have probably made it either after morning surgery ends or before it start afternoon when there hardly anybody there.
Before Tuesday like the others say, put your most troublesome problem/concern first
Then the second concern etc, that way if the Dr stops you time wise you will have dealt with the most important issues.

If you have to go back do as Sally says and make a double appointment that way you will know you have a bit more time and may not be as stressed and anxious.

Good luck let us know how you get on.

Spot-the-frog
20-05-13, 15:49
Hi Ricardo

As everyone else has said, take a list of things you want to discuss and above all be honest and let the doctor know everything that is going on. I always take a list with me, even if it only says 'ask for repeat prescription' as sometimes you forget the most basic things.

You have been through some stressful moves so be kind to yourself, good luck at the doctors and let us know how you get on.

Kx

ricardo
21-05-13, 17:15
Hello
Well I went to the doctor this morning and she gave me her last morning appointment so that I wouldn't have to wait.
She had my report from the doctor in Spain and I took all your advise and wrote down everything I wanted to discuss.

I was extremely nervous and the first thing I said was that although I had a lot to discuss I appreciated that the appointment was a scheduled ten minutes.She replied "take as long as you like" and in fact I was with her for 40 minutes.

She adjusted my medication slightly but my BP has shot through the roof which to some extent is explainable and has asked me to come back in 12 days to get a 24 hour monitor reading to get a true picture.
She is also arranging counselling for me saying I need a hefty amount of sessions as opposed to just 3 or 4 and that will be arranged next week.

All in all it is hopefully the first way forward and she said I should concentrate on myself first and that in turn will help me deal with my daughter's situation.

Annie0904
21-05-13, 17:23
I am so pleased to hear this Ricardo. It sounds like you have got yourself a good, understanding doctor there. I think those are wise words too..to get yourself sorted first. I know when my anxiety is high I find it hard to focus on problems related to other members of the family and need to get my anxiety under control first. You know I think that this may have been a good move for you even though it has so far been a very stressful one. It sounds like you are thinking positive about it too which is a very good start :)

Snoodlester
21-05-13, 19:04
I'm so pleased for you Ricardo - it makes all the difference having an understanding doctor and one that actually makes things happen! You've been through such a lot recently, I hope things start to get better soon, Sue x

Spot-the-frog
21-05-13, 19:30
Looks like you have got a good doctor there, it all looks very positive. Take care and be kind to yourself, put yourself first for a change.

Karen x

bernie1977
21-05-13, 22:59
I was wondering how you got on with your journey back to the UK. Going through that plus three moves, I can't imagine the stress you felt.

Glad the GP was so understanding and helpful with you. When I read your first post I was worried that they wouldn't give you alprazolam (Xanax), so I'm glad you've got some as thats what keeps you ticking over. My Doctor will only give me it for emergencies. I get diazepam but if I have to go somewhere I need something stronger as I'm housebound with agoraphobia and diazepam doesn't work aswell. I had to pay for alprazolam on a private prescription as my doctor said its not available on NHS prescriptions.

I hope things settle down for you soon take care :hugs:

AuntieMoosie
22-05-13, 01:18
Hi there Ricardo :)

Long time no see or hear, but I have been thinking about you.

I'm so glad that that awful journey is now behind you.

I'm not at all surprised that you're feeling so anxious and nervous having had to face that and then 3 more house moves, that's an awful lot for anyone to have to cope with let alone someone who suffers with anxiety :)

It sounds to me like you've done so well though, I know you're not feeling well, but just stop and look at what you have achieved, you done it no matter how hard it was, and, believe me, I do appreciate how hard that must have been :)

Your first visit to your new doctor sounds very positive, I think you may well have found a good doctor there :)

I'm glad that she's going to be monitoring your blood pressure, that's very important especially if you're getting high readings.

The counselling sounds a good and positive move too and I'm sure it will help you given time.

You need to let your body and mind rest a bit now Ric :)

It's been shaken through to the core and now needs time to recover.

Just take it each day as it comes and do as much as you feel able too, but have plenty of "me" time and just allow yourself to heal :)

Keep going, I'm still here if you need me :hugs:

ricardo
22-05-13, 13:23
bernie

I said that my GP altered my meds a bit and what you said is perfectly correct that alprazolam in not free on the NHS and it has a short term life of 5 hours.I decided to switch to lorazepam which has a 12 hour life and is free, so 2 mg of alprazolam which I took as 4 x .50mg a day now equals 2 x .50 mg of lorazepam.Something you might consider yourself.
I am always cautious about taking a new drug but I had taken lorazepam some time ago, and made doubly sure that I wouldn't get withdrawl symptoms from the alprazolam, by asking my new GP and she assures me they balance out the same and that the lorazepam should also help me sleep better.

To you and everyone else thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement.Still a long way to go to get a semblence of quality of life but hopefully I am in the right hands now and that in itself will drive me on.

clio51
22-05-13, 13:39
Well done Ricardo for getting to the doc's in the first place it must of been very hard for you.

That's seems a good plan with the lorazepam, much better than paying if you had to have it.
Hope the change over goes well for you.

bernie1977
22-05-13, 21:47
bernie

I said that my GP altered my meds a bit and what you said is perfectly correct that alprazolam in not free on the NHS and it has a short term life of 5 hours.I decided to switch to lorazepam which has a 12 hour life and is free, so 2 mg of alprazolam which I took as 4 x .50mg a day now equals 2 x .50 mg of lorazepam.Something you might consider yourself.
I am always cautious about taking a new drug but I had taken lorazepam some time ago, and made doubly sure that I wouldn't get withdrawl symptoms from the alprazolam, by asking my new GP and she assures me they balance out the same and that the lorazepam should also help me sleep better.

To you and everyone else thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement.Still a long way to go to get a semblence of quality of life but hopefully I am in the right hands now and that in itself will drive me on.

Thanks for that information Ricardo as its something I didn't know.

Hope you get all the help you need x