PDA

View Full Version : citilopram withdrawal

sue3
28-09-06, 22:12
hi all , i have just joined tonight and hope to gain some insight and support from others who have had any problems withdrawing from the anitdepressant citilopram. It has taken me a while to pluck up the courage to join and introduce myself. I have been trying to come off these tablets this last month and have failed due to the awful withdrawal symptoms can anyone help?

honeybee3939
28-09-06, 22:45
Hi Sue,

I have been taking Citalopram for around 8 years on and off, What strength are you taking? In my experiance when i cut them down (im on 10mg now) i do it gradually, was on 40mg then took 30 mg for a week or so then 20mg, for a couple weeks , then 10 mg for a week then 5 mg (cut the tablet in half )for a couple of weeks, i never have any side affects that way. at present i have been taking them for 2 years and havent had any side affects withdrawing from them.

hope that helps

Love

Andrea
xxx

vernon
28-09-06, 22:47
Hi sue and welcome to the site. I am on Cipralex which is similar to what you are taking and tried a few months ago to come off them, but I had some bad luck (my son had a bad accident in the USA while on Holiday) so I went back to my normal dose for a while. About 2 weeks ago I decided to give it another go and reduced my dose from 20mg to 15mg, and touch wood up to now have been pretty much OK, except from the odd day with a bit more like raised anxiety and a little panic, but nothing really to worry about. I don’t know what dosage you are on? But I would advise to cut down just a little at a time. I have dropped 5mg as I said and will stay that way for quite a few months as coming off to quick can set of the bad effects again and it’s better to be on 15mg for a few months than try to cut down again to soon and end up back on full dose. I don’t know what mg your meds come in but you can always cut a 10mg in half if they don’t do 5mgs etc. hope you succeed in reducing your meds but don’t cut down to much and don’t try to cut down further for a good while and you are fully comfortable with the reduction. Take care and hope this helps. Vernon

yorkylover
28-09-06, 23:21
Hi Sue,I came of citalopram slowly,and I found it really hard.Side affects were bad.I managed to stay off for 3 months.My depression returned and Im back on them again.I think it affects people in different ways.;)

Ellen XX

vernon
28-09-06, 23:27
Thats why I said I cut down from 20 to 15mg, and I will stay at 15 for months even a year is better than having to go right back to full dose. TC all. Vernon

Phill2
29-09-06, 01:28
Hi Guys
I'm just cutting down on Cipralex myself and have gone from 10mg down to 7.5 mg.Been that way for 4 weeks now and plan dropping to 5mg next week.I too have been OK except for 1 offish day.
Phill

Don't believe everything you think.

anxious
29-09-06, 09:11
Hi there,

i was on 10mg for about 6 months and i just stopped them 3 weeks ago. I thought i was on such a low dose it wouldnt bother me too much - wrong!! Saying that i think ive got over the worst and just seem to be extremely light headed.

anx

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

sue3
29-09-06, 10:52
thanks to all who have replied. To Andrea and Vernon i have been taking 40mg for just over 4 years now after suffering from reactive depression. I think i made a big mistake in cutting my tablet down to 20mg and start to feel, nauseaous, dizzy. extremely hot like i was burining up, shaking and real panicky. The other problem with these tabs is the weight I have put on and cannot seem to lose. I am now waiting for an appointment to see a doctor about withdrawing, but my GP seems to think i should stay on them but while I have been on them I always feel so damn tired and have no energy. Thanks for your experiences though I will try it and see how it goes.

take care
sue
xx

magicsheep
29-09-06, 16:15
Hi Sue,

Well done registering on the site.

I was on cipralex last year and did come off them pretty quick. I think I was a lucky as the withdrawal wasn't too bad. I know you are advised to reduce slowly and I would recommend that way.

I know you want to come off them, 'slow but sure wins the race'.

Good Luck
x

honeybee3939
29-09-06, 17:30
Hi Sue

4 years is along time to be taking the medication, i think vernon is right to cut down over months or even a year or so. I never had withdrawl symptoms when cutting them down, but 6 month to a year later i was back on them again. So maybe i cut down too quick. I will take vernons advice and cut down gradually over the months or even a year.

Love

Andrea
xxx

nomorepanic
29-09-06, 19:05
Hi Sue

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hopefully we can help you with some of your issues and you will get great support too.

Nicola