PDA

View Full Version : Skin Cancer anxiety about another person

MangoMadness
20-05-13, 11:46
Hello, I just registered because I am in the throes of the worst health anxiety attack I have had in 10 years. But this time it is not about myself, but about my girlfriend. She found that a mole had grown a fair outwards last Tuesday, and that it was swollen and protruding. It also had a darker spot in the middle. She told me she noticed this two weeks ago or so. I told her to go to the doctor the same day she noticed, and the doctor told her that he wanted to remove it just in case it was something bad. After he did the biopsy, it got sent to a lab. But I couldn't help but google it ever since she told me about it, frantically just googling everything. I also started to think that she's as good as dead already, and have been struggling with constant anxiety since then. She'll probably know for sure on Wednesday, but I feel like I am waiting to lose my girlfriend to cancer. And she is afraid and stressing out about it too! Does anyone else have this strong anxiety for other people? I can only find health anxiety examples that you have to be worrying about yourself, not others.:weep:

Mipsy
20-05-13, 14:36
Hi there. Sorry you are feeling like this. Yes, I feel it for my children any time they are ill or have something wrong.
It sounds like your gf acted quickly when she noticed the changes in the mole, so that's a good thing. Most moles turn out to be benign.
I'm sure she will be fine. Let us know how she gets on.
X x

MangoMadness
20-05-13, 18:09
I went to Dr.Google, and that's never a good thing. Now I feel almost completely certain at times that she is going to die from the worst types of skin cancer. Thank you for your answer, I just keep having this 'what if everyone else is wrong, and I am right' thoughts!

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:48 ----------

I have made my girlfriend real worried about herself because of my anxiety, and now I feel so bad I just do not know what to do about myself. I walk around in a gloom that never lifts, as I wait for the dreaded news on Wednesday. I just feel like it can only be a death sentence.:weep:

Mipsy
20-05-13, 19:52
Hi, if you have a look on the cancer research website (I've linked below), it tells you welcoming news regarding skin cancer.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/type/skin-cancer/treatment/statistics-and-outlook-for-skin-cancer

90%of people are cured. Even those other 10% it's not all bad news.
My dad had skin cancer on his ear and it was huge but even then it wasn't at the really worrying stage. I'm sure everything will be fine and it will be a benign mole.
Let us know how she gets on x x

MangoMadness
20-05-13, 19:57
Yeah, I googled it for like 4 hours each day last week lol, I got all those statistics but I keep thinking 'what if she had a growing mole longer than she has known about'. The hardest thing about having HA is that you think you somehow possess knowledge no one else has. But I will keep you posted, and thanks for the information!

Mipsy
20-05-13, 20:01
Also, have you thought about tackling your HA? I've had 2 years of CBT and I'm in a much better place than I used to be.
Ask your GP for a referral to a CPN (clinical psychiatric nurse). The guy who supported me was fantastic.
Good luck.

MangoMadness
20-05-13, 20:02
I am currently being checked to see if I have a personality disorder, but we have not gotten to the part about my huge amounts of anxiety yet. I have a lot of issues lol

pringles
20-05-13, 21:52
if they would have found something very bad they would have called already. hope it goes okay

MangoMadness
22-05-13, 22:40
My girlfriend went to take out her stitches today, and we really thought she would get the results of the biopsy, but we have to wait a whole week more. And that means they found something in the mole, doesn't it?! I am about to give up life, I have too much anxiety in me..

panicperson
23-05-13, 08:02
I'm not a doctor but if it was bad news you would think they would tell u ASAP.