PDA

View Full Version : Weird feelings in my face, I'm terrified

wdwfan1973
20-05-13, 18:00
Hi all. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. We were travelling yesterday and we hit a part of the motorway where we went up quite high then back down to level ground. I was singing along to my iPod as usual and all of a sudden, I couldn't concentrate on singing, it's like my mouth wouldn't move. I told my husband and he made me open the window to cool down. I was able to move my mouth again but my cheeks were burning red. I was convinced I was going to have a stroke. I felt a little better but ever since, the feeling comes back and forth. I tried for hours to sleep last night but I kept pulling faces to see if my mouth was drooping. This morning, it had gone but it's backs. I've been checking different sites terrified as it feels like my face is going to freeze up. I've got tingling in my face at times, I keep going hot in the face yet my feet are cold, it's the oddest sensation and I think it's anxiety. On the way yesterday i had been worrying about our ferry journey because the last time I went on one, we had the choppiest journey. Could this be why this is happening? Have I wound myself up that much? Hubby thinks I'm panicking for no reason but I'm scared its the start of something bad, like I'm expecting myself to keel over. Can anyone advise me before I ring my doctors? All I can concentrate on is listening to my voice to see how I'm speaking. Thanks for reading :)

aggiecuttler
20-05-13, 19:11
it does sound like anxiety its surprising how it can manifest itself, if it were a stroke then there would be other symptoms, are you on any anti depressants etc

clairejayne
20-05-13, 19:19
Hi all. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. We were travelling yesterday and we hit a part of the motorway where we went up quite high then back down to level ground. I was singing along to my iPod as usual and all of a sudden, I couldn't concentrate on singing, it's like my mouth wouldn't move. I told my husband and he made me open the window to cool down. I was able to move my mouth again but my cheeks were burning red. I was convinced I was going to have a stroke. I felt a little better but ever since, the feeling comes back and forth. I tried for hours to sleep last night but I kept pulling faces to see if my mouth was drooping. This morning, it had gone but it's backs. I've been checking different sites terrified as it feels like my face is going to freeze up. I've got tingling in my face at times, I keep going hot in the face yet my feet are cold, it's the oddest sensation and I think it's anxiety. On the way yesterday i had been worrying about our ferry journey because the last time I went on one, we had the choppiest journey. Could this be why this is happening? Have I wound myself up that much? Hubby thinks I'm panicking for no reason but I'm scared its the start of something bad, like I'm expecting myself to keel over. Can anyone advise me before I ring my doctors? All I can concentrate on is listening to my voice to see how I'm speaking. Thanks for reading :)

Hi. Hope you are feeling better now. I get a strange tingling and sort of itching on my face and head, sometimes it feels hot and sometimes cold. It does freak me out a little at times especially if I get it around my mouth. I convince myself im having a stroke. Im sure its an anxiety symptom.
Take care and be strong.
Claire

CharlieM
20-05-13, 19:29
I get this rarely, but when I do it is because I have been clenching my jaw due to anxiety. Because I know what causes it, I am not overly worried about it.

I have to consciously relax my jaw all day because I can just be watching TV and feel my neck burn. That let's me know I am clenching.

wdwfan1973
20-05-13, 20:13
Thank you for the replies, they have put my mind at ease. I've never experienced this before so I had no idea what was going on. I've noticed that if my mind is occupied by something else that I don't feel so weird in my face. I'm not taking any anti depressants or anything but I think if this continues to be an issue, I might have to see the doctor for help. Thank you again.

NoPoet
20-05-13, 22:46
Do you get a tingling sensation across your cheekbones, below your eye sockets? I used to get that all the time. It might be something to do with hyperventilation, which creates a weird breathing rhythm and can cause numbness and pins-and-needles in the lips, fingers and face. These symptoms have never done me any harm. The more mysterious symptoms are, the more likely they are related to anxiety. That is something everyone on NMP should remember for the rest of their lives: "If it's weird, it's probably anxiety".

Anxious_gal
21-05-13, 00:35
What do you mean by your mouth wouldn't move?
It could be TMJ, your jaw may have locked up for a second, maybe a tight jaw muscle or a muscle spasim, or numbness, pins in needles?

wdwfan1973
21-05-13, 00:47
I've never had tingling across my cheekbones or my eye sockets before. It's hard to describe but the closest thing I can think of is numbness on the left side of my mouth. It feels like I can't smile as much on that side but I have no lumps or anything visible.

In the car yesterday, It felt like I wanted to speak but when I tried to move my mouth it wouldn't move the way I wanted it to? Like it was about to freeze? It frightened me so much. I haven't had it since so I think it was something to do with pressure from going up so high then back down again in the car.

I try not to think about it but it creeps in and next thing you know, I'm paying too much attention to how I speak and pulling faces again to make sure my face isn't drooping. I keep asking hubby if my face looks alright :blush: I've had a few nightmares where my face has drooped on one side and I'm trying to ask for help but I can't speak or make anyone understand me. I managed a bit of sleep but now I'm awake and thinking again. I think I need to take some deep breaths and try for more sleep :wacko:

---------- Post added at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was at 00:45 ----------

Do you get a tingling sensation across your cheekbones, below your eye sockets? I used to get that all the time. It might be something to do with hyperventilation, which creates a weird breathing rhythm and can cause numbness and pins-and-needles in the lips, fingers and face. These symptoms have never done me any harm. The more mysterious symptoms are, the more likely they are related to anxiety. That is something everyone on NMP should remember for the rest of their lives: "If it's weird, it's probably anxiety".

I need to remember that quote and say it aloud to myself next time it starts again!