PDA

View Full Version : Hard lump below knee

countrygirl
20-05-13, 19:53
Its at the top of my shin bone where kneecap starts. I noticed it about 6 months ago and it aches if I kneel down or touch it.
I have Dr appt at end of week but I did worst thing and googled it and everything says bone cancer!!!!!!!!
There was one reference to inflammation of the tendon where it joins the shin from knee.
Wondered if anyone else has ever had this??

MarkJames3
20-05-13, 20:02
Hey,

I had a boney lump exactly where yours is, mine didnt hurt...

Have you been rubbing it or even thinking about it a lot, because mine was there for 6 months or so and it was only when i started thinking about it did my knee area start to ache.

My doc said he thought it was nothing and sent me for an x ray to put my mind at ease... guess what it was nothing :D

Bone cancer is extremely rare and from my best friend who is a radiographer and studies cancer every day.... she says with bone cancer generally the patient has excrutiating pain.

Im sure it could be any number of things before its even remotely likely to be cancer.

You have done the right thing to get it checked though but im sure you will be fine :) enjoy what you have and try and distract yourself.

countrygirl
20-05-13, 20:43
Thanks for that. It only hurts ( mildy) if I kneel or rub the lump which is why I have not been to Dr before as I forget about it for months on end if I don't kneel down!!

I know its highly unlikely to be bone cancer and much more likely to be a problem with my tendon. I have also had times where I have got a sharp pain in area when I go upstairs but only rarely.

I just want to see Dr asap of course!

RVP
21-05-13, 03:20
I've hade this for as long as i can remember. Ive got it on both knees and always thought and got told thats it due too much exercise. Do you do a lot of physical activity? my have never hurt, but my friend also has this and his started hurting, the doctor told him to just rest for a week. If what i think is the same thing i have then its completely normal

just googled what i have and its called osgood schlatter, normallt occurs when theres been too much stress put on the bone.

countrygirl
21-05-13, 17:39
I'm far too old for ossgood whatsit!! I saw my Dr today and he said its where the tendon attaches to the shinbone and in some people it swells and becomes painful. He said he has seen once case of bone cancer in his career and I def do not have that as I first noticed the lump 6 months ago and if it was bone cancer I would be in agony with hugely swollen knee and very large lump.
He told me to not kneel down as this will keep annoying it.