PDA

View Full Version : Meds phobia

purple to black
20-05-13, 22:44
Hey folks, I have a major phobia of meds and am going to cbt on Friday (privately) to try and help me overcome it. Has anyone else had this and how did it go? Thanks.

Lilharry
21-05-13, 00:14
I have a phobia of them too. I'm finding it hard to overcome, but have decided I have to in order to get better. I think it's a matter of reminding yourself that you're taking things in order to help yourself. I don't think it's going to be easy, but it's got to be better than being anxious and sick all the time.

owlkeeper
21-05-13, 01:04
Great that you are going to CBT for it, that is the first step to overcome it! How does your phobia express itself? Are you afraid of the side effects? Or do you have trouble swallowing them?

purple to black
21-05-13, 08:18
Im afraid of the side effects and have anaphylatic shock. Stupid really but I cant shift it. I have a fear of being on my own too and cant stay in or go out without someone being there so if I can take meds im hoping I can conquer the rest.

owlkeeper
21-05-13, 13:27
Well it's not that stupid.. with all the info you read in the leaflets they hand out with meds it's only logic it scares people. Luckily a lot of side effect are rare or only occur in interaction with other meds. I hope your CBT helps you so you can start on meds!

purple to black
21-05-13, 14:01
I know and my ex worked for a pharmaceutical company and told me that they have to list everything the person the drugs are being trialed on experiences which could be totally unrelated to the meds but because they experienced it while on the meds they have to put it down as a side effect. I hope I conquer it too.

almamatters
21-05-13, 18:55
I am trying to cope with this phobia, I am very scared of taking medication , especially any new ones. I have lost count of the meds I have been prescribed and have not taken due to this phobia. I have two meds that I take regularly but have been on them a while and have got used to them. Good luck with the CBT

jayjoe18
30-07-13, 21:15
Lilharry made a good point there. I'm terrified of taking meds but I'm at that point now thinking it can't be worse than what I'm feeling right now. Please let us know how you get on at CBT, good luck!

Mnisilochos
30-07-13, 22:01
Hi guys,

This phobia is relatively new for me. I didn`t use to think about it, but lately I developed the habit to do research about them online and I started to panic thinking of all the possible complications. Also, I do not trust the doctors, which is not very good I guess. Anyhow, I hope I `ll get better.

Good luck with the CBT!

jjgamesroom73
03-08-13, 07:13
I think medications will help you. In the treatment of phobias, medications are used in conjunction with therapy and may not necessarily be a part of initial treatment.