PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I convince myself I'm not having a heart attack ...

wendy35107
21-05-13, 15:43
Google is evil, just pure evil, the second you google any of my symptoms, it tells you to call 999.

If you're panicing / having anxiety issues, that only makes it a million times worse.

I get little pains above my left breast sometimes, sometime between my breasts and sometimes down the centre of my back. They're never accompanied with anything else like dizziness or nausea, so I know it's not a heart attack, but I wish body would just believe that too.

Do you ever have heart attack like symptoms when you're feeling anxious?

This anxiety is just awful isn't it :shrug:

Ric77767
21-05-13, 15:57
Yeah I have them every day. Always left side of chest. Getting so scared about it too been happening for over a year now.

CharlieM
21-05-13, 16:00
Wendy and Ric - I have had 100+ heart attacks in the last few weeks!!!! At least in my head. Suffering from one right now if you believe my mind.

It's crazy stuff. The pain is real and I genuinely can't accept it is all anxiety. Something is wrong with me, so if it isn't my heart, then what the hell is it??!!!

wendy35107
21-05-13, 16:04
I'm at least glad it's not just me, even though it pains me to think anyone else is suffering from this too.

It's torture, absolutely horrendous, I'm trying so hard to live my life positively and see the bright side in everything, but it's impossible when you think you're about to die isn't it.

Have you any tips on how you've been handling it at all? I'm really freaking out at work.

AceOfSpades
21-05-13, 16:29
Hi Wendy

Like CharlieM I have had so many heart attacks (Sorry anxiety induced NON heart attacks).

I think the reason why people who have health anxiety fixate and believe that they are having certain health conditions is to hopeful find a reason as to why things are happening.

And we just have to recondition or brains to understand that not every ache and pain is health induced.

I was going through pure hell when my health anxiety was at its highest and it was all based around the heart (for 2 years) but in the end I begged for a echocardiogram to be done and I promised my doctor and my family and most of all myself that IF the results came back all clear I would take it as that and move on (I was convinced I had heart problems).

But they came back all clear and I have done my best to move on, I still have the odd off day but I have learnt to understand that it is just my anxiety (I have not had to call A&E for nearly a year).

And to top it off my Doctor who dislikes me Shook my hand one day and told me how well I was doing and that meant a lot to me.

So the only way to move on is to just accept it as being anxiety induced..

wendy35107
21-05-13, 16:37
Ace of Spades

Thank you so much for that, I think I may need something similar in order to "convince" myself that it's not my heart.

I don't think I'll ever be able to accept it otherwise if I'm honest.

At least you've shown that it is possible to move on and live with your anxiety rather than letting it take over your whole life.

Thank you again, I really appreciate your reply :D