PDA

View Full Version : New Health Anxiety Sufferer.

allisonlordmclellan
21-05-13, 16:01
Basically, I'm 19 years old, no previous health issues (I am a smoker.)

A few weeks back I was taken into hospital after feeling lightheaded, breathlessness and trembling. I had blood tests done and they all came back fine. I had been suffering from rapid heart rate and lightheadedness after this before going to the doctors two weeks ago. He prescribed me with beta-blockers which have helped a lot. After another trip to the doctors yesterday and a call to NHS 24 a few days before, it seems I have anxiety.

I've been suffering with trouble breathing, feeling like I'm going to collapse or pass out, pains and a tingling/tightness in my chest, clammy hands, numbness and a sense of dread/fear of a heartattack. The sense of dread lasts almost all day but the rest of the symptoms happen when I am on my own, at night and I sometimes even get them when I take my daily beta-blocker (I get a fear that no-one is around and it may cause my heart to slow down too much or that I stop breathing altogether.)

I'm really at my wits end with this, I feel like I'm going crazy and that no-one understands what it's like. It's stopping me from doing the things I love to do - go to concerts or even just go out.

Any advice on how to handle it? Or re-assurance that someone has had or is going through this as well. :weep:

hannahp
21-05-13, 16:08
Have you suffered with anxiety before? All of the symptoms you have are classic symptoms of panic attacks. There is not one of them that suggests anything else.

If you were having a heart attack - it would of happened by now - and the same for anything else.

Anxiety is an on-going condition which manifests itself in physical ways and this is why you are feeling like this. I have had a health anxiety for years - probably diagnosed myself with 75+ diseases and I'm still doing it. The amount of symptoms I have had is endless - the more you worry about something, the worse it will get. It's a vicious cycle.

I am still worried sick now that I have MS - in fact I just posted about it. Honestly, don't worry - you're clearly having panic attacks so be rational and try to tell yourself that is all it is.

I hope you manage to get through this!

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Oh, and try to quit the fags - all they will do is increase your heart rate even more! ;)