PDA

View Full Version : Driving Test Anxiety

McHovis
21-05-13, 17:21
Hello Everyone! It's been a while since I posted, hope you are all doing well <3

I have a little problem...

For the first time in 5 years, i have been panic attack free for 3 months! I have had only 3 panic attacks since December!!

HOWEVER....

I'm VERY stressed at the moment with some home stuff, managing to cope with Paul McKenna's 'I can Control Stress' (Recommend it - if that's allowed??), but... I have my driving test on Tuesday! I'm so very scared ! Exactly one week! I'm not scared about passing or failing, i'm scared of the actual thing, because i know i'll get anxious and i'm worried i'll panic and compromise my test!

I have some Rescue Remedy gum, but to be honest i don't think it helps enough for what i'm going to do - Any tips?! Those of you who have passed or tried and failed?!

Many thanks, and lots of love!

Joe xxx

Tessar
21-05-13, 20:06
Well, McHovis, congrats on having a panic attack free 3 months. that is absolutely brilliant and demonstrates how hard you must have worked to achieve that.

So, lets think about it. You've done so well to achieve that and it does mean that compared to perhaps a few months ago, doing the driving test is a big thing. But - most importantly you can now go into it knowing that you can be panic attack free. that's really good. do remind yourself of that

now it might be more years ago than I care to remember when I took my test but I can still remember how nervous I was. thing is though, like you say, you aren't worried about passing or failing, you're just scared of doing the actual thing.

Remind yourself it's perfectly natural to be nervous and in fact, in many ways that means you are bright & perky. Were you too sleep & relaxed, you might not drive as well or spot hazards etc. It will speed up your thinking. Do you do breathing exercises or anything like that? They would be worth remembering on the day. particularly while you are waiting to be called.

Being anxious at the beginning is natural - I know I was. but as the test went on, I began to settle down. in the end, I looked at it that well..... the more easy going I am about it, the better I will drive. try to drive naturally. let things happen by instinct.

are there any things you can read up on or practice between now & then? Do your homework. not too much obviously as you don't want to overload yourself. but its amazing how a few bits of late reading can make a difference.

on the day, just go for it. you can do it. really you can. I will have my fingers crossed for you!!!!

McHovis
23-05-13, 17:32
Thank you for your kind words! I sometimes do breathing exercises, but i'm not sure if i'm one of those people who doesn't try or doesn't do it properly, I just never benefited from them... I guess all i can do is try?! Thank you! :)

NE21 worrier
23-05-13, 18:10
Hello McHovis,

I also had some issues getting over the line with my driving but I did eventually make it at the fifth attempt in January 2010. I was terribly anxious even in most of my lessons but I've managed much better as an independent driver, and even now driven from the north east to Edinburgh, York, Reading and Glastonbury Festival.

You must believe that you will get there - but do not put pressure on yourself to pass on this particular occasion. There is always a next time.

Just be aware and try to take some confidence from the fact that your instructor clearly thinks you are ready and that you have the skill to do so. Try and remember what he/she has told you on your manoeuvres - and good luck!

Sorry that this is a bit of a plug but, a day after I passed my test, I wrote on my blog looking back on my experience. You can give it a read here: http://theintrepidreporter.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/five-live-drive.html

Thanks, Peter

Edie
23-05-13, 20:23
My advice would be to try to make conversation with the examiner as you walk out to the car. Doing this on my second attempt eased my nerves immensely and I passed :)

The worst that can happen is you fail and have to re-sit. That wouldn't be so awful. But your instructor obviously feels you are ready, so I would be guided by his expert opinion and give it your best shot!

I wish you luck!

Tessar
23-05-13, 21:52
That's interesting Edie, I passed second time and feel the extra few months and additional lessons meant I was far more confident and accomplished when I got there.

And as you say - indeed.... "give it your best shot"!!!!

pauline
24-05-13, 17:13
I took my driving test 4 years ago and passed first time at the age of 47. I have suffered anxiety and panic attacks most of my life. I was terrified and like you not really about passed or not though of course I really wanted to pass. I took 3 calms it might of been 4 i'm not quite sure but I know it was at least 3 and they really did help me. just took the edge of the anxiety. Here's wishing you all the best it great knowing I can drive though i don't go very far.

McHovis
24-05-13, 17:31
Thank you all for your replies, I'm feeling more confident but still being kept awake at night by the worry! I'm just itching to get away from home! Please keep success stories coming, I think it's nice for everyone to be able to read (and of course makes me feel better hehe)

Thank you all xx

McHovis
28-05-13, 17:47
Thank you all for your kind words and...
I passed first time! Thank you so much :D

<3 xx

Tessar
28-05-13, 21:44
Amazing, well done you, McHovis, I am really pleased....
And I bet you are too, it must be really really exciting.
It felt like the biggest thing. I had ever achieved when I passed.

How does it feel????

:notworthy: :yahoo: :notworthy: :yahoo: :notworthy: :yahoo: :notworthy: :yahoo: :notworthy: :yahoo:
:notworthy: :yahoo: :notworthy: :yahoo: :notworthy: :yahoo: :notworthy: :yahoo: :notworthy: :yahoo: