PDA

View Full Version : discrimination within college...advice please?

R.Barratt
23-05-13, 04:10
Hello
I started college this year in September at this time i turned 18 and i was meant to be transferred into the mental health team. This didn't happen for another 4 months and even then they were not particularly helpful.
At this time my attendance at college was very poor but they were aware it was due to anxiety and depression. Caused by a very traumatic childhood with sexual, verbal and physical abuse.
I asked them to help me by calling the adult mental health team to hurry them up to help me but college told me this was not their job. I am now just getting some counselling and help.
But not college is threatening to throw me out due to my attendance. I feel this is discrimination as they didn't help me when i was struggling and now things are starting to get on track they want to kick me out. When i go to them an explain this to them and how i am struggling they keep saying things like 'we arent counsillors' and 'other people have those problems you arent the only one and they get on fine' these comments obviously dont help. i know getting kicked out of college will make everything worse as college is my only purpose in life. All i have to create a successful and happy future.
Sorry for the rant. Just wondering if theres any advice for me or anything i can do to make sure i dont get kicked out? Thanks for reading

Edie
23-05-13, 11:53
Are you a member of the NUS? I'm not, but it's possible they may help with this. Another possibility is to seek an advocacy organisation in your local area.