PDA

View Full Version : redness blushing

scaredy-prat
23-05-13, 18:19
Hi all

I have mostly managed to deal with my anxiety in the fact its not obvious I want to curl up and die just leaving my house but the one thing I cant sort is the going red. I used to get really embarrassed so it was fair enough that I went red but now in a way it is worse. I don't go just red, not the kina cute blushing, I go blotchy on my face & neck & look like theres something really wrong with me! The worst bit is I don't even feel like im embarrassed but I can feel im going red, I feel hot etc. It really annoys me coz I feel like im doing so well then my face lets me ddown & tthen I lose any confidence I had & just want to hide away so people cant see the odd redness :blush::shrug: any ideas??

Tessar
23-05-13, 18:41
I wish I had a solution, scaredy-prat... I blush very easily too. For me it all depends on how self-conscious I'm feeling really. Sometimes it's triggered by feeling I've been put on the spot although saying that, if my mood is good & it's something I am confident about, then I can do things in front of others without blushing.
Also, if i'm having a bad day, its more likely to happen. sometimes other people aren't the cause. if something's upset me a bit & i am trying to control, or rather, manage how i feel and not get carried away, the feelings can trigger it. I get hot like you too.
It's so difficult though isn't it? But in the end, your best bet is to keep going out. Keep doing things. If you are able, go outside your comfort zone & notice what happens. You discover that not only can you survive feeling that way, but If you can tolerate feeling uncomfortable for longer each time, you will build up your confidence. It might not stop the blushing every time but what it will do is ease your feelings and symptoms over time.
Plus talking about it here is also. A very good idea as many others on NMP feel the same too.:flowers:

PanchoGoz
23-05-13, 19:23
I'm the same, I can't lie without going deep red all over my face, nor can I speak up in class about something as I can feel myself going red. Consider it a good thing, that we are honest and humble indiviudals :)

Tessar
23-05-13, 22:00
Consider it a good thing, that we are honest and humble indiviudals :)

I like that pancho.

scaredy-prat
23-05-13, 22:10
Thanks. Its all very well saying its good we are honest but I go red when im accused of something I haven't even done so it makes me look guilty!!! Its really awful. I just don't get why it happens, for example I went to pick up y son today and I was in a chat with 5 other mums and I didn't feel myself going red at all but I was well nervous but controlled it, yet say im at the drs and they ask me a question that's dead simple, I go red and I know it but im thinking im not really that nervous or worried.. I really don't get it. I might try beta blockers again, I think that's what the dr gave me once to stop the redness, I didn't use them long enough to see if they worked though. Thanks again for letting me know im not alone.

Tessar
23-05-13, 22:19
How very interesting you say "Its all very well saying its good we are honest but I go red when im accused of something I haven't even done so it makes me look guilty!!! Its really awful."

That is me exactly!!! My mother would line us children up if someone had been naughty and you can guess who got the blame!!!!

I don't get why it happens either. But yes -you definitely are not alone.

scaredy-prat
24-05-13, 19:19
Thanks, maybe i should do a phd study of it ;) lol

Tessar
24-05-13, 21:16
I could be your first case-study...:scared15:

scaredy-prat
28-05-13, 22:40
I could be your first case-study...:scared15:

I will hold you to that :yahoo::hugs:

Tessar
29-05-13, 09:38
Where do I sing..... ooops, I mean sign.....

jellyowl
30-05-13, 17:07
I can relate to this. I don't blush as bad as I used to, but stressful situations like dates and job interviews still make me turn all red and blotchy, yuck. I know surgery and behavioral therapy are supposed to help with this, but I was never willing to try anything so drastic (especially because I hear the surgery doesn't have a very high success rate). I also know certain hormone pills and things like that can make blushing worse. When I was on birth control I used to get panic attacks and blushing attacks ALL the time. They didn't start to get better until after I went off the pill, so maybe think about what pills you are on, and see if that might be having an effect on you.

The biggest thing that has helped me though is just covering myself up. I own a lot of high-collared shirts like button-ups and turtlenecks which cover my chest and neck, so people can't see the blushing there. I'm also good at using foundation and coverup to hide my skin. I really cake on the makeup for days when I know I'll likely be blushing a lot. Tanning also helps hide blushing because its harder to see a blush on dark skin, although its not very healthy for you.