PDA

View Full Version : I did it - booked hol

Jules31
24-06-04, 10:48
Well after much deliberation. I agreed last night to my friend booking us a four night stay in Rome at the beginning of August.

This is the first time that I will have been away without Dave since my anxiety started. I'm really apprehensive about going but really want to do it too. It is somewhere I have always wanted to go.

Becca is my best friend, who I've known since I was five but we've never been on holiday together other than as kids. In fact we booked to go to Rome as teenagers but the day we were supposed to go the company went bust! Hopefully I won't be jinxed this time.

Not sure what I can do to prepare, any ideas?

I'm sure I'll be here for support during the lead up to going

I do feel it is a positive if not a very scary thing though

Jules

sarah
24-06-04, 12:15
Hiya Jules

Well done for booking, brilliant step!!!!

Preparation beforehand....
1-Have you thought about going for hypnotherapy?, ive done it and its brilliant for relaxation.
2-Go buy yourself some 'holiday' clothes to get yourself in the mood.
3-Try and do some exercise a few times a week..go swimming or get an exercise DVD
4-Try Yoga for relaxation
5-Generally look after yourself, good food, exercise, relaxation etc.

Flight...
This is what I took for mine..and it worked...lol
1-Big bottle or water
2-Puzzle book
3-Rescue remedy
4-Personal CD player with relaxation tape
5-Comfy clothes
6-Emergengy Diazepam tablets (I took 2mg in the lounge as we were boarding and was fine...didnt need any on the way home!!)
7-My husbands knees to grab onto if I needed them....lol

take care, I hope this was any use for you!!!

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

sadie
24-06-04, 20:22
Jules,

Well done for finally saying 'enough' to your anxiety and booking your trip to Rome.The more we live our lives the better our anxiety gets as we dont run away from things.

As for coping techniques, I would say just do lots of positive thinking from now until your holiday. Eat healthily, breath properly, maybe take a relaxation CD with you to help you relax on the plane etc, take the usual vitamin B to help with the stress levels, sip rescue remedy throughout the day when on holiday. Remember you are safe no matter where you are and nothing will happen to you.

Does your friend know about your anxiety?

sadie

sal
24-06-04, 22:52
Jules

Just remember you are with your best friend and what better medicine can that be. she knows you inside out and however you feel with be your life line. Thats what best friends are for. Youve booked it, the biggest step allowing yourself to do it. Now you just enjoy it and remember you are with someone who loves you to bits.

Even your darkest hour only last 60 minutes!!

Sal xxxxx

seh1980
25-06-04, 21:48
Hi Jules,

Well done for booking the holiday!! It's a big step. I've gone away a few times and have been a nervous-wreck before each trip so I know how you feel. The good thing is that you are with your mate - I was by myself most times and that was awful. Just make sure you take along a lot of things that you enjoy and things that you can distract yourself with: books, puzzles, snacks, etc. Good luck!!

Sarah (seh1980)

Caz Fab Pants
26-06-04, 00:58
Jules,

WOW! You star. Give yourself a pat on the back and go and buy yourself some treats to take away with you.

Think the advice given so far is all good and think you may find it useful to buy a small note pad so you can write down how you are feeling as it happens. Unless of course you already keep a diary in which case just take that with you. I find it a good release to write things down and its always interesting to look back on.

Keep us posted on how you're getting on, with the build up etc

Caroline
x

Rennie1989
26-06-04, 15:51
hiya jules

WOW rome, is there any room in ur suit case to take me wid u, lol

really the best thing to do to prepare urself is to make ur self think its gonna be fab and u can see the tower of pizzzzzzzzzzza and eat pizza!!! FUN FUN FUN. also make sure u have everythin like suntan lotion etc

enjoy ur self

Scooter Girl

if i wa hungry would u feed me, if i fell u you help me up, if i was crying would brush away my tears

HB
28-06-04, 14:57
Jules, well done, i know it is a big step going away from someone who knows you and your anxiety so well, i am off to university in september, away from my mum for months on end. if you go on holiday then you will give me the confidence to go through with my big step too

H

Meg
28-06-04, 15:02
Wrong bit of Italy for Tower of Pisa.

She'll be busy re-enacting Gladiator instead and getting blessed by the Pope.

Meg

Jules31
29-06-04, 13:49
Maybe a blessing is what I need to help get rid of my anxiety.

~Thanks all of you for the tips. I'm going to give them all a go. At the moment I'm bunged up with a cold and so am feeling particularly sorry for myself. Maybe some Italian sunshine is just what I need

Jules

stimpy
29-06-04, 14:55
Don't forget to take some photographs for us ! [8D]

Have a fantastic time!

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

nomorepanic
29-06-04, 16:12
Hi Jules

I am still catching up on posts so well done on booking this.

I can't add any more tips to the list already given so I hope you can pick out the ones that you think will help the most.

You will have a lovely time and you deserve a break.

I am sure your friend will take good care of you too.

Nicola

Jules31
05-07-04, 12:29
Plan to take lots of photos Liz

Thanks Nic, not sure how useful my friend will be though. I had a massive attack of some sort on thurs and all she did was give me a large glass of wine!!!

Jules

charliesanangel
05-07-04, 14:15
Sounds like a great friend to me jules ;) lol
When you get back hun you will have to tell me what you did on the flight to help take ya mind of things.

carlin
05-07-04, 18:59
ules, have a wonderful holiday, i am due to fly to
inorca in a few days and am terrified, but listening to all the advice has helped me so much

nomorepanic
05-07-04, 19:01
Jules

The wine sounds like a good idea to me lol. Did it help?

Carlin - hope you are getting some tips on here for you break away. I hope it goes well.

Nicola

HB
07-07-04, 19:00
arrghh.. its my holiday next wednesday, so scared now.

H

jo-jo
07-07-04, 20:06
Hi there H

Having just come back from my hols I can promise you that the build up to and the worries you have are a lot worse than the reality. I know its hard and its scary but go armed with a big panic pack - I took anti-nausea tabs, rescue remedy, some lavendar oil, a good book (I know its hard to concentrate but once you've read a few pages it gets easier), a puzzle book, a list of affirmations to get me through if the worst happened (from the first steps guide here) and had a good chat with my hubby before we went and basically told him how he could help if I got really anxious or panicky and also what not to do!

This holiday might just do you the world of good, just think you'll have none of the usual chores to do, you'll have some lovely sunshine and hopefully the chance to laugh and have some fun. Don't be too hard on yourself and take it one step at a time, think about how you will manage the journey first (prob the worst bit) and then take it from there.

I felt just the way you did and believe me, I wish I was back on holiday it was over so quickly!

Take care
Love Jo xx

HB
08-07-04, 21:16
Well I have decided that nothing is going to stop me having a fantastic time on holiday... i have only been abroad once before and i wont be able to go again any time soon coz im off to uni!! wish me luck....

H

Jules31
29-07-04, 12:53
Hi everyone

Well I leave for Rome on Mon and I'm really nervous. I used to love travelling but have been feeling pretty off lately.

The dizziness and moving feelings are back with a vengeance as are feelings like I can't breathe and will pass out. Plus loads of headaches too.

I'm still trying to look forward to it all though and spent a fortune on clothes on Sat (yes I did over five hours of sales shopping) - and only a couple of hot sweats/giddy attacks. Felt weak a lot of the time but was very determined.

Guess I just need your well wishes and the odd prayer or two. I really don't want any major attacks whilst I'm away but am sure I will have them

My friend wants to us to make our own way from the airport to the hotel and I want to get a taxi. I know I'm wimping but Im not sure I can cope with being thrown into things the minute I get there.

Hey and guess what we fly at 7 am so there is no wine she can give me wine that early!!!!!!!!

Jules

Meg
29-07-04, 16:03
Hi

If you're going Easyjet from EMA they have an extra bus that goes to tbe central train station once passengers are through customs.
Not expensive , easier than public transport and much cheaper than taxi. Maybe a compromise ?

I'll wave at you as you take off !!

You have coped with so much that you can cope out there should you feel off kilter plus as you'll be walking everywhere you'll be too tired.

Keep up the water intake - you'll need it and mind the heat stroke.

Enjoy

Meg

apm
30-07-04, 14:12
I've booked my flights to and from Edinburgh for mid august. Be going on my own! Bit scary, and a makes me feel a bit nervous... Sure I'll be fine, but this will be the first time....

Alex.

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx.

sarah
30-07-04, 14:14
Hey Alex

long time no see so I guess youve been doing good?

As you say im sure you will be fine, its the thought thats worse than the doing isnt it?

Just relax and take all your necessary 'anti panic kit' and you will be fine.

take care
love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Meg
30-07-04, 15:32
Alex ,

Work or pleasure ? ie anything to worry you about being there or is it ( just ) flying or also being up there alone to present as opposed to meeting friends on arrival ?

You have sat as alone on the M25 for as long as it will take you to get there. Take whatever you need to comfort you on board and chat to the person next door.

I have every confidence in you

Meg

jo-jo
30-07-04, 20:40
Hi Jules

Well done on booking your holiday. Nothing I can add to the list of great tips already provided but I wanted to add that you will feel just fantastic afterwards! I have always wanted to go to Rome too, what a great place to be going and four nights is just nice as you have time to relax but won't be away from home for too long.

Have a wonderful, fantastic time and take lots of pics of those lovely Italians for us!

Lots of love Jo xxx

Jules31
01-08-04, 20:01
Hi

Well off to bed as have to be up early for flight. Am feeling really yuck and have two spectacular sorts of attacks since last night, horrendous pains in head, off balance, hot surge through whole body, dry mouth, you name it. Am putting it down to anxiety. Wish I could shift wobbly feelings and headache though.

Thanks for the tip about the bus meg, will give it a try, as we are going easyjet.

See you all when I get back

Hugs

Jules

apm
02-08-04, 12:57
As Sarah says, the thought is worse than the event- but that's kind of the thing for us?! Just a case of trying to maintain perspective, and let the spiral begin. I will definitely bring my anti-panic kit, iPod with as many relaxation cds on it as I can find, and numerous bottles of water! As you say Meg, the good thing about Edinburgh is that it's all over so quick! Ans I have sat on the M25 for that long without exploding, and I take the train for 30 mins every week. It's a pleasure trip, visit to the festival & stag do at the end. Should be a great laugh!

Was feeling jittery when I booked, but not so bad now...

Otherwise, pretty good really. Keep focussed on the positive.

One tip- listen to Divine Comedy, Come Home Billy Bird- it is impossible to listen to that tune without smiling! Hang on- there might be a thread in that...

Alex.
xxx

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx.

Jules31
09-08-04, 13:03
Hey everyone, I'm back

Rome was fantastic. I had some major blips whilst I was there but I got through them and am still here to tell the tale.

I had several attacks most days and they were all very different. The worst was in the Vatican. We queued for an hour to get in, in the baking heat. As I waited I started to feel my chest go tight (this never usually happens to me) and I started to feel really giddy and lightheaded/unreal. I shuffled around and tried to tell myself it was the heat. Then we got in the lift to go to what I thought was the top of the Basilica (no way were we doing 320 steps) in that heat. Or so I thought. Little did I know that the sign was wrong and it was 320 steps after the lift. I wouldn't have minded the steps, but the fact that they were a shock and were in a spiral encased staircase, with no natural light. I don't do confined spaces well normally but this was just awful. My legs were giving out, I had devloped chest pains and my head was hurting and I felt faint. I felt so trapped, people in front and behind me and my arms touching the wall either side. My friend kept telling me we were nearly there but I knew we weren't. By the time I got to the top I had an overwhelming urge to burst into tears (but didn't). I had been so sure that I would collapse in there and no one would be able to get in to help. The views however were spectacular and I have the photos to prove it.

I had several more similar feelings whilst we were out there but without the chest pain. I don't think the heat helped, though I did try and drink lots of water, though probably not enough. And the dizzy moving feelings kept hitting me with a vengeance

But the main thing is I did it. When I woke to go to the airport, I really didn't want to go, but I'm so glad I did.

Now I'm back, I'm feeling wobbly and have had some strange turns but I'm trying to be positive still. Bec wants us to plan our trip for next year, so guess I couldn't have been that bad company.

Oh yeah on the funny side of things, whilst in the Sistine Chapel, I got a horrendous pain in my neck. It went into my head and of course, I thought it was something neuro. At the time, I didn't think that I might have just hurt something after all the looking up!!!! It does still hurt now and cracks very loudly in my head every so often but I am trying to be more rational.

Then I got in trouble in the Vatican for wearing a skirt which was too short. This from a girl who hardly ever wears anything but trousers!! Thanksfully I got a sarong from a stall outside and went back in. Hmmm guess wearing two layers of clothes whilst waiting to climb the Basilica wouldn't have helped much!

Anyway guys thanks for all the support. I am still neurotic, but at least one that has travelled just somewhere else

Jules

Meg
09-08-04, 13:46
Well done Jules.

Brilliant success.

Keep this one close so you can recall how well you did often !!!

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch