PDA

View Full Version : Sorry disgusting thread!

KeeKee
23-05-13, 20:50
Does anyone else get quite severe pain during their first few days of menstruation whilst pooping? I can't help but think that it could be Endometriosis but have read that to determine if you do have that you need an endoscopy (I think that's the one) and will therefore need to be put to sleep! This of course terrifies me as I have an irrational fear of dying lately.
It is literally on for the first 2 days on my period and then subsides and it is only when I poop. I haven't mentioned it to the doctor yet as I thought it could just be weird period pain but I have been getting it for almost 2 years now (seems to have been a lot milder these last 2 or 3 periods though).
Can Endometriosis present only 1 symptom?

sarahsarah
23-05-13, 21:22
Yes, I get that. My period pain feels like cramps in the bowels rather than uterus (no idea if it is, that's just how it feels) and it's relieved by pooping, but during the poop it is quite painful, a tenderness that's particular to a poop at this time of the month. The first sign I am getting my period is usually a painful need to go to the toilet. It does vary in intensity from month to month and I suppose very occasionally I don't get the pain. However, it is always gone by the end of day 2 then my period continues painlessly til the end.

I just assumed it was absolutely normal. Well, it's normal for me as I have had it since my periods started when I was 13, so for 25 years. I don't have endometriosis. In fact, I didn't know this type of pain was a symptom of it, I just thought it was bog-standard monthly cramps.

By the way, I don't think you usually get put to sleep for an endoscopy. Sounds like you won't need one anyway but this is worth bearing in mind. Xx

Tessar
23-05-13, 21:49
I don't know much about endometriosis but when it comes to period pains and their association with bowel symptoms, for me there is a definite link.
Bearing in mind that when you are about to have your period, your body becomes very bloated, and of course particularly in the region of the uterus, bowels etc, that area becomes very clogged. I can only imagine the various parts of your anatomy are under additional strain.
So maybe the act of pooping upsets the uterus and makes everything cramp even more than it was already. Also I believe that another cause of periods is that the muscles in that area get very tense when you are due, this can lead to constipation (or I think in some people's cases the opposite trouble).
So really, as all these bits and pieces are adjacent to each other, it's bound to have an impact. I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes I have trouble telling the difference between period cramps and bowel cramps sometimes.
The whole thing just makes me feel like a massive balloon that needs to pop before I can be comfortable again. It's such a relief when it's all over.

KeeKee
24-05-13, 09:58
That's a relief, thank you both. I may mention it to the doctor in passing but I am confident now it is a normal burden of us poor women!

Shivmarie
25-05-13, 08:22
I had the same symptoms that you did, along with terrible abdomen pain, i had various scans etc and i had to have surgery, I have just had a laparoscopy (the operation they do if they suspect you have endo which I did) I was so worked up, crying refusing to believe I'd wake up for the anistetetic. It was awful, However I came around and it really wasn't that bad, I was in abit of pain don't get me wrong, and the recovery took me a week, but it was very quick, and I've just had my first period post op now the endo has been removed and I feel better, and I'm not suffering or uncomfortable anymore.
I also had blood in my tummy which they sorted out whilst I was under so it is worth doing, as I'd never of known that.
Good luck x

---------- Post added at 08:22 ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 ----------

And I questioned before about me being to sleep but because of the nature of where they make the incision you HAVE to have local anaesthetic. There is no other way, believe you me I begged and cried as I was so frightened, but I realise now I was maybe a little dramatic but HA does this to us! X