PDA

View Full Version : how long does pain last after a tooth extraction?

Annie0904
24-05-13, 12:32
I think I am becoming paranoid about getting dry socket! I had the tooth out on Wednesday morning. It is still quite painful. It was a back tooth and looks like there is a clot there which is supposed to happen but I am worrying a bit about the pain. I know that I do have a low pain threshold anyway. Has any one else had a back tooth out and still been in pain 2 days later? I am trying to think back to the one I had out in hospital and I don't even think I could get a teaspoon in my mouth after 2 days so maybe this isn't so bad? I started taking antibiotics the day before I had the extraction to prevent infection and I am still taking them.

nicola1980
24-05-13, 12:55
Hi Annie, i had my wisdom tooth extracted a few years ago and it took a good few days for the pain to did down, why don't you ring your dentist if your worried for a bit of advise, hope you feel better soon x x

Annie0904
24-05-13, 12:58
I thought about ringing but after all he did to help me out I don't want to seem like a nuisance :( I think it is just me getting anxious about pain as I always do. I need to accept that I will be in pain a few days but I am struggling to accept it. I keep looking at the clock waiting for the time to take more pain killers!

nicola1980
24-05-13, 13:15
You won't be being a nuisance hun that's what there there for, give them a ring to put your mind at rest x x

Annie0904
24-05-13, 13:21
They are closed for lunch so I will try again later...I guess I just need reassurance x

lisa1975
24-05-13, 13:53
About 3 to 4 days mine was sore for hope your feeling better soon

unsure_about_this
24-05-13, 13:57
When I had a few teeth taken out when I was eight to make room for my adult teeth , it was 24 hours. One of my teeth at the side adult teeth, I did not really have much pain

ricardo
24-05-13, 13:59
The teeth are a maze of nerves and canals Annie and it is very common to have discomfort for a good few days.Is it a throbbing pain as that were the nerves have been disturbed and need to settle down.:)

Annie0904
24-05-13, 16:23
Thank you everyone..Ricardo you are spot on :) I called the dentist and he told me to go and have it checked which I have just done. He explained that because I had pain for a few weeks before the tooth was removed, the pain will last longer. He said it looks fine and it was packed when the tooth was removed to prevent dry socket. I feel better for having him check it for me and I am now reassured. I am so pleased I found this new dentist, they have just been amazing..I was so thankful that I gave the dental nurse a hug :)

Tessar
24-05-13, 21:20
Good for you, Annie, tat you had it checked and that it has afforded you some reassurance

Edie
24-05-13, 23:02
Glad everything's normal. I hope your pain will pass soon though!

nicola1980
25-05-13, 00:05
Glad you got it checked out just for your own piece of mind, hope you feel better in the morning x x

Annie0904
25-05-13, 10:42
Thank you Tessar, Edie and Nicola. Still throbbing this morning but hope it will pass soon.

Annie0904
28-05-13, 17:43
It hasn't been quite so painful today but I could feel something sticking on the gum. I tried to brush it gently and it is black blood. I almost fainted when I saw it and had to lie down. Hubby says I should leave it alone to wash away itself and not try to brush it. What do you think? I just hate the feeling of it being there :(

Tessar
28-05-13, 21:40
Yes Annie, you must leave it alone. Please don't play with it, even tho I know it's irritating. You really have to let it heal naturally & not pick otherwise you might make it worse or just slow down the healing process.

Edie
28-05-13, 22:25
Your tongue is very sensitive and anything in your mouth feels so much bigger than it really is. If the pain is dying down then it is healing. I agree it's best to leave it if you can.

You can always call the dentist to double check if it's worrying you.

Annie0904
29-05-13, 18:20
It has been aching a bit again but I guess I can't do anything about it until I get home other than keep taking the pain killers. I just wish I could stop worrying about it. It has been 1 week today.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Does anyone know what happens to the stuff they pack the tooth with? Does it disintegrate?

Tessar
29-05-13, 22:08
I did try looking it up but what I read is inconclusive, I can't tell if it's meant to come out itself after a few days or what. Did they say anything to you? Does your mouth taste ok? I wish I was an expert but I don't want to mislead u.....

Annie0904
30-05-13, 18:50
I asked my daughter if the dentist had said anything and I don't have to go back so I guess it stays in. It does have an awful taste but from what I read, the packing contains some sort of anaesthetic and clove oil. The taste is worse first thing on a morning. It should disintegrate. It feel a bit better today so I guess it is improving.... I just panic about things too much but I guess you have already noticed that! :D

Tessar
30-05-13, 21:21
I'm glad it's showing signs of improvement, Annie... You have been very patient. What's that you say...... You, panic????? Nooooo you must be talking about somebody else...surely.......

Magic
31-05-13, 08:44
I remember having a wisdom tooth out years ago had to have stiches.
Bruised face and it took ages for it to heal

Annie0904
31-05-13, 17:24
It is starting to feel a bit more 'normal' today. A few blood clots came off it yesterday and they have really freaked me out and made me feel faint! but today I can feel more normal gum. :D

Tessar
31-05-13, 20:52
that's brilliant annie, I am very pleased. at least you didn't actually faint!!!

Tessar
03-06-13, 22:16
How's the tooth now?