PDA

View Full Version : insomnia tip

cheshirecatqee
24-05-13, 15:22
Tried this last night and was surprised how well it worked so thought I'd share :)

I've been doing mindfulness so decided to try it for insomnia. What i did was to just lie still and breath from my belly while moving my mind round my body experiencing how it felt as well as the sheets on my skin and I feel asleep.

I did wake a few hours later but did the same thing and it worked again. Did wake again but that is the way i am at the moment. Might not work for everyone or work better giving a full nights sleep

arfasc
26-05-13, 21:16
Yes it kind of works for me as well.
I woke up early in the morning in my anxiety days and I can stay in the bed, trying to concentrate on the breathe and have an hour more of light sleep.
Is not a deep sleep, but good anyway!!
Better than wondering around the house desperate!!!

Last year during a "crisis" I tried one day at 4 or 5 to take one pill for anxiety... one hour sleep and feeling tired afterwards (and I don't like to take medications)..
I tried the day after to put the ipod with the mindfulness exercise.. a light sleep until going to work and feeling less tired!!!

flori
26-05-13, 22:50
Thanks for sharing. I got some info from therapist about mindfulness 2 weeks ago. Are there cds that I can purchase.

Bekzie
26-05-13, 22:51
Great tip I will be trying this tonight, thanks for sharing :)

arfasc
27-05-13, 05:46
wow just back on the insomnia + anxiety and stomach pain this morning..
Tried to meditate but could not concentrate on my own.
Now after a tea for the stomach I'll go back to bed and try with the audio.

If you are not able alone (as I am not yet, uff) the audio helps a lot!!

AlexandriaUK
27-05-13, 09:25
Hi I was a pretty good sleeper till I quit the cigs 3 years ago, now my sleeping habits are crap:mad: but I use Librivox its completely free and their are some great stories on it, one of my favs is the enchanted barn, I find I drift of before the first chapter is over and if I don't then at least my mind is occupied so I am resting.
Also when I was younger I used to build houses or design clothes in my head, that used to work as well.

Magic
27-05-13, 11:51
A tip I read somewhere.
When you first get into bed lie down in the most uncomfortable place you can find
and stay there for as long as you can bear it---then get into your comfortable place
and if lucky you might get to sleep:unsure:xx

cheshirecatqee
27-05-13, 19:34
Thanks for sharing. I got some info from therapist about mindfulness 2 weeks ago. Are there cds that I can purchase.

I've got the book the full catastrophe by jon kabat-zinn and guided mindfulness meditation cd, which I use. Not sure about any other cds tho.

AlexandriaUK
27-05-13, 20:25
A tip I read somewhere.
When you first get into bed lie down in the most uncomfortable place you can find
and stay there for as long as you can bear it---then get into your comfortable place
and if lucky you might get to sleep:unsure:xx

Does the top of the wardrobe count? that would be pretty uncomfortable: