PDA

View Full Version : purplish bump below tonsil

tiredOfOcd
24-05-13, 23:52
Hi all

Its not been a good couple of weeks for me anxiety wise.

In October I had a white bump in my throat. 3 dr's said it was a harmless cyst. One offered to remove it if I wanted. I said ABSOLUTELY. He did (not until I had read all about tonsil cancer/oral cancer) and the thing really was a cyst.

3 months later, I was looking at my tonsils and saw another white bump on the other tonsil. I waited 2 weeks, went to the dr after scaring myself (reading all about tonsil cancer/oral cancer and moderate alcohol use) and he said the white bump was nothing.

A week later I looked in the mirror again and this time pressed my tongue real flat against the floor of my mouth to get a really really good look at my tonsils. I noticed a small gray-purple bump right below one of them.

Now I'm afraid my moderate alcohol use as left me with oral cancer.

I found this thing a week after my dr (an ENT) pronounced me as being ok. I think I'm overreacting and scaring myself. Has anyone seen a purple bump by their tonsil?

angrry
25-05-13, 01:02
hi tired...I have exactly the same thing at the bottom of my left tonsil...scared the hell out of me when i saw it...I've been having lots of throat and sinus issues for several weeks now...sore throat, throat feels swollen, clearing my throat all the time....I see an ENT doc on June 4th I'm really hoping it is nothing serious...but you know how us hypos are.....It is encouraging though that you have seen an ENT and he obviously wasn't concerned...after reading that I don't think either of us need to worry too much about the bump.

tiredOfOcd
25-05-13, 01:10
hi tired...I have exactly the same thing at the bottom of my left tonsil...scared the hell out of me when i saw it...I've been having lots of throat and sinus issues for several weeks now...sore throat, throat feels swollen, clearing my throat all the time....I see an ENT doc on June 4th I'm really hoping it is nothing serious...but you know how us hypos are.....It is encouraging though that you have seen an ENT and he obviously wasn't concerned...after reading that I don't think either of us need to worry too much about the bump.

I've had sinus stuff (post nasal drip from my allergies, clearing throat, always swallowing) going on for the last few weeks as well.

The thing that freaks me out is I don't know if the dr saw it or not. If he did, he didn't mention it. That could be because its nothing but there's that doubt as to if he saw it. And all it takes is a little doubt and a little Google and I'm out of my mind with fear.

angrry
25-05-13, 01:12
did your ent scope your throat?....not that it matters...if we are able to see it...i'm sure an ent wouldnt miss it

tiredOfOcd
25-05-13, 02:47
did your ent scope your throat?....not that it matters...if we are able to see it...i'm sure an ent wouldnt miss it

he didn't scope my throat. the spot i asked about was right up front and he was able to see it when my mouth was open.

i "discovered" the spot i'm worried about now a week after i saw him.

and i keep asking myself "did he see it? could he have seen it? since the one i asked about wasn't a problem does that mean anything about this one?"

and on and on and on

angrry
25-05-13, 12:50
if he used his wooden stick and checked your throat i'm sure he saw it...we can see it and we're using a finger, flashlight and mirror....i doubt very much he missed it....but I really can relate to what you are saying though...i'm terrified i'm going to go to my appt and the ENT is going to find sinus or some type of throat cancer....HA is hell...I've been going to a psychologist about it since August...and although it is getting better..it is a slow process with lots of setbacks...hope you feel better soon

tiredOfOcd
28-05-13, 15:46
i've seen a post about them and i've made at least one post about this white bump below my tonsil. Its mostly white, but i think its come up underneath some veins because there are some fine blue lines going across it.

i'm scared out of my mind. i'm really really afraid i've screwed up my health.

i've been scrupulous about being healthy my entire life: i eat the recommended number of fruits/veg, i exercise 6x a week, i don't smoke and i thought i was fine until i read about alcohol.

the one thing i do is drink alcohol. i thought i was drinking moderately (no more than 2 drinks at a time) but in the last 10 years i've been drinking maybe 3-4 times a week.

i've just measured the wine glasses we use and the shot glasses and i've been drinking slightly more than the 2 drinks at a time. Not much more (like 6-7oz of wine instead of 5oz and/or 2oz of liquor instead of 1.5oz)

i'm convinced this has caused me to give myself oral cancer and the gray thing below my tonsil with the veins going thru it is the start. i'm afraid i have invited this into my life and i'm going to suffer because of it.

i'm so scared.

i've got an appointment with an ENT and i'm terrified he's going to have to do a biopsy - even though i was just there about 2 weeks ago for another spot on the same tonsil. the spot i'm seeing him for is maybe an inch below it to the right.

i've googled and read and am appalled that alcohol use increases oral cancer risk and i've been drinking alcohol. i'm terrified that i've screwed up my health at 46 and i'm going to die without seeing my son graduate high school.

how am i going to make it to the appointment? what am i going to do for the next 10 years until my risk drops to normal.

how much of this worry is even realistic. according to the statistics i've read, even IF i was drinking 3-4 drinks a day i'd have a 97% chance of avoiding oral cancer. why can't i take that and just accept it?

oh god i can't stand this.

---------- Post added at 14:46 ---------- Previous post was at 14:30 ----------

and all that stats i see are about alcohol consumption PER DAY.

i've never ever regularly drank every day. i think the most on average has been 4 times a week and even THAT hasn't been consistent.

but i'm still convinced i'm going to die.

aggiecuttler
28-05-13, 17:18
ok breath, you are getting very panicy, ok a small mark does not mean you have cancer, it could just be a simple old mark, we love you simple old mark. you have an appointment and its going to be checked so you can take a breather and know that you will be in the right hands and that you will no longer have to worry re your mark.you say you have been seen for another mark what did they say it was? this is probably the same, dont panic unless there is a reason for panic, you are not going to die so take time and stay calm and look forward to your appointment where you will have the doubt taken away blessings

tiredOfOcd
28-05-13, 17:44
ok breath, you are getting very panicy, ok a small mark does not mean you have cancer, it could just be a simple old mark, we love you simple old mark. you have an appointment and its going to be checked so you can take a breather and know that you will be in the right hands and that you will no longer have to worry re your mark.you say you have been seen for another mark what did they say it was? this is probably the same, dont panic unless there is a reason for panic, you are not going to die so take time and stay calm and look forward to your appointment where you will have the doubt taken away blessings

thank you very much for the reply.

i've calmed down - although I'm going to be on the brink of a panic again for a while. not sure how long "a while" is. could be hours, could be months.

the last tonsil spot the ent saw me for was, in his words - "nothing to worry about. could be the tonsil doing its job."

it very likely was, because its gone now.

this other mark i discovered by trying to keep an eye on the one the ent said was ok.

the thing that's absolutely shocking for me is the relation of alcohol and oral cancer. if you drink, the chances are increased. the more you drink, the more the chances are increased.

i haven't known what else to do, so i've been making calculations. in order to figure out where i sit consumption wise. i'm at an average of about 2.5 drinks whenever i have alcohol. its higher than the 2 drinks that would give me the minimum risk for someone who uses alcohol.

i can change that. but what impact has it had on me up till now?

logic says - little impact. i don't drink every day and never have. i don't smoke and never have.

i'm just trying to cope with the shock that something i've done has raised my risk even after being careful. i feel like someone in the 1930s who thought smoking was ok and then learned it really isn't.

i feel as though i've cut my own throat - as though i've undone all the careful living and care i've taken of myself. i had thought 6 days of exercise and a good diet would be enough and perhaps they are. but learning what i've learned about alcohol is completely unexpected.

tiredOfOcd
30-05-13, 15:57
saw the ear nose throat dr today

he says its a normal imperfection that doesn't concern him at all

i've already made an appt with a psychologist

tiredOfOcd
30-05-13, 15:58
just got back from the ENT

he says its an imperfection behind my tonsil that doesn't concern him at all

i've made the appt with a psychologist.

venusbluejeans
30-05-13, 16:11
tiredOfOcd I have merged your 2 threads about the same thing, It will make it easier for people to reply to you and you will not have to answer twice to things.

we normally delete duplicate threads but you had answers for both so I added both of your threads together :)

tiredOfOcd
30-05-13, 17:16
tiredOfOcd I have merged your 2 threads about the same thing, It will make it easier for people to reply to you and you will not have to answer twice to things.

we normally delete duplicate threads but you had answers for both so I added both of your threads together :)

thank you. i've been in such a panic that I just created threads with no thought for anything like that.

angrry
30-05-13, 18:31
thats great news tired...hopefully you can put this all behind you...the therapy will be a great help too...i'll let you know how my appt on tuesday goes