PDA

View Full Version : Day 2 on Fluoxetine for Panic Disorder, I feel like a zombie

Miss_Judged
25-05-13, 17:57
Hi there everyone, I'm new on here but I am having some pretty crap side effects from starting Prozac.

I'm an RN and have been on antii-d's in the past in my teens (im 25 now), but none worked and I had bad side effects from some. Havent had any since about 17 years of age as there has been no apparent need for it. I recently had a bout of severe panic attacks (trigger unknown) in October of 2012 and basically from then on I've been having severe problems with anxiety and spontaneous panic attacks. (Saw a psychiatrist this week after being diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome which made everything worse, and he diagnosed me with panic disorder, which I pretty much had an idea I was dealing with anyway).

Obviously I also have an impending fear I will experience an attack at an inconvenient time so there is also some agoraphobia. I started on 20mg OD of fluoxetine 2 days ago, the first day I just felt a little spaced out however I began to feel anxiety due to my symptoms so I took 5mg of Diazepam or Valium which I've been prescribed PRN. Felt ok, went out but was feeling very edgy but I generally felt a different kind of "on edge" as to my normal anxiety.

Well today is day 2 and I feel absolutely bonkers. I literally feel like a zombie. My vision is blurry, I can't listen properly to what people are saying. I feel kind of stoned and I can't process information properly. I've had to take 10mg of Diazepam in split doses today, which is VERY unlike me to control the anxiety and funnily enough it makes me feel less "whacked out". My appetite is average and I just feel as though I am not going to be able to return to work on Monday (now being saturday night) and function as a nurse on this new medication.

I was just wondering if anyone has had these side effects so rapidly? I know they are common etc, however I am kind of hoping there is some light at the end of the tunnel because I currently feel like im not even in my own body. I don't like to give up on something so quickly, but as a nurse I'm wired to think well if there is a reaction stop the medication. But is it a serious enough reaction?!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks x
Amy

aggiecuttler
25-05-13, 18:23
hi amy, sorry to hear your prediciment. i am on fluoxtine 20mgs, on week 10 now and they have made a difference, side effects dont tend to last, they are normally short lived, they should not be about for too long if you can stick with it, i know the days drag and you wish things would settle down, i think the depersonalisaton is down to the anxiety and the meds can heighten this initally but this too will not last to long. if you can stick it out fluoxtine is a great med, take care and all the best blessings catherine

Miss_Judged
25-05-13, 19:00
Thanks for your reply Catherine, did you have the same symptoms and more importantly were you able to function properly-ish?! I'm just at a bit of a loss right now whether taking more work off will jeopardise my job etc, so I'm struggling whether to just see if I feel normal tomorrow and quit them, or take more time off and see if I can ride it out :weep:

Whiskey
29-05-13, 23:14
Hi
Ive been taking fluoxetine for nearly 6 weeks and yes the first few days I felt spaced out and weird, unable to focus properly. This did ease. I have been off work for nearly 6 weeks which has helped a great deal. Hope you feel better soon