PDA

View Full Version : Tips for starting up on medication?

jayjoe18
26-05-13, 17:50
Hi all,
Hope everyone is enjoying the bank holiday weekend as much as can be.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on starting up on medication? If anyone has seen my posts before you will know I'm absolutely terrified of medication and just can't get myself to take it! I've had anxiety for 6 years now and all the therapy in the world just hasn't helped so I'm now trying to come round to the idea of medication, problem is I used to have health anxiety and I've never taken a tablet in my life!

I'm worried about taking the first one, I know I'm going to panic straight after knowing I can't reverse it. I'm getting anxious now just thinking of it.
On top of this I'm super worried about all the horrible side effects I've heard about. Because I've had health anxiety I also worry about long term effects, basically I worry about anything to do with taking tablets!

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about taking the first one?

Thanks in advance :)

aggiecuttler
26-05-13, 20:01
hi jasmin what meds are you about to start, yes its a big step, you need to see the tablet as happiness in a tablet, that they are going to be good and work out, try and put a postive spin on it if you can see them as a friend not an enemy. Just because others get side effects does not mean you will you might not get any, remember that side effect will go anyway they very rarely last long, repost with the meds name and then you can get direct info from someone who is on them blessings

almamatters
26-05-13, 20:55
I struggle to take medication and find it difficult to start new meds. Personally I do not read the side effects leaflets (if I did I would never take them) and agree with the previous post try and turn the experience into something positive, like how this tablet is going to help me and make my life better. Once you have taken one and feel confident then it does get easier, I post on here for support with meds and usually do get round to taking them but I know it can be hard. Take Care.