PDA

View Full Version : Nausea and anti-hystemines

Sansaflowers
26-05-13, 22:01
Hi! I'm pretty new here and not sure if this is the right place to post this, so here goes...
I have recently had trouble (where I didn't previous to this year! which is so, so frustrating and upsetting) with anxiety attacks whilst traveling. My boyfriend lives a good 2 hours train journey away so this is becoming a problem. We are also going on a trip by plane, train and bus to Belfast in a couple of weeks. My major concern, as well as with this traveling, is that his father is picking us up from the airport (which is incredibly lovely of him) and driving us back an hour home. I am terrified of embarrassing myself and my boyfriend, or of having a panic attack in the car and his father thinking I am mad (I've only met him a few times).
My main problems are nausea and upset stomach (anxiety related IBS I guess?) Also I find nowadays I need to use the toilet much more than previously. It will also be at night, and I am so much worse at night. Kind of wishing I just be sedated for the whole journey but that's not really an option! :P
Basically, I have heard that anti- hystemines can combat nausea. Has anyone had any good experience with them? I feel it would really help if I could take something before the journey, even if it is just psychologically. Failing that, does anyone have any advice for coping with IBS on the go? I feel like the anxiety I feel worrying about what could happen is largely to blame but I can't get it out of my head.

Many thanks, and sorry for rambling!

peteyboy
27-05-13, 03:32
Hi there,

I get IBS as well and often worry before I have to travel that there won't be a suitable toilet to use - and I'm a man, you think we'd just be able to go in the bush right?!

What I often try and do is eat some light, mild food the day before so hopefully it won't give my stomach too much grief. Usually find when I am actually on the journey it is alright, its just before hand and maybe would be the same for you.

Dunno about the nausea but sounds to me like a travel sickness? Maybe cld just get some travel sickness pills to take? No idea about antihistamines and nausea though sorry, but chewing gum can help as can peppermint tea. If you aren't on any other meds for anything tho, then unlikely an over-the-counter antihistamine would do you any harm.

I wonder though if most of the anxiety is coming not from the journey but from the fact that its with your boyfriend and his dad is at the other end? If so, well I'd say if u explain it all to him and he's a good bloke then I'm sure he'd understand, as would his dad. My wife is now quite used to waiting for me to find a bog whenever we get or leave anywhere!

Good luck with it all though!

pete

Sansaflowers
27-05-13, 11:15
Hi Pete!
Thanks for your reply, it's good to know someone else feels the same :)
I will look for some travel sickness pills and hopefully that helps. I haven't heard of chewing gum before but I guess its the mint/ distraction that helps? So definitely going to try that too.
I'm not so bothered about the fact it is with my boyfriend, he is very understanding and supportive. You're right about his dad though. He's also lovely too, but I don't know him very well and I think a lot of my anxiety about a lot of situations comes from me thinking I am going to embarrass myself in front of people. I might try having a quick chat with him before we leave to get in the car and go home.

Thank you so much for replying :)

Pipkin
27-05-13, 15:19
Hi there,

You could try promethazine. It's an antihistamine available from the pharmacy which works for allergies and travel sickness. It also has a sedating effect and is used as a pre-op sedative. The brand name is Phenergan.

I'd recommend discussing it with a pharmacist to see what they think.

Pip

Sansaflowers
27-05-13, 18:25
Thanks Pip, I will definitely look into that! :)