PDA

View Full Version : taking paracetamol etc

unsure_about_this
27-05-13, 14:42
Once again another phobia.

I got a big phobia and fear of taking paracetamol and ibuprofen because I am scared of taking too many. even though doctors say we cannot get addiction to them. I know I have to take them if I got cold etc.

I rarely take these as it is.

I am scared of just taking them because of fear of damage to my organs, I could be one of the unlucky ones that a taken the normal dosage could harm me. I got IBS so reading through the instructions carefully, until the doctors say I am fine taking ibuprofen with this annoying abdominal pain, I have shown where the pain is had scans etc. all came back fine, no signs of cancer or anything serious.

I got this crazy thing going if I touch a packet or box I think I took one (even though I have not) it worst when we have a packet opened, have I took one or not. It has come to the best solution for my parents to let me have a fresh packet so I know whether or not any have been taken.

I remember having leg pain last year I got recommend to take ibuprofen or paracetamol and was scared to take two at a time because I could only take one at each dose because I fear overdosing, my legs are fine now took a while.
(could this have started me off with my fear of cancer) with daily mail online being the website after seeing countless articles about people dying of overdosing plus there are other articles I have read over the years in various papers, and people risk overdosing on tablets.

I cannot get out the cycle of fear and phobia.

Jacsta
27-05-13, 15:08
as long as you follow the dose instructions on the box then you are fine. Some people are sensitive to ibuprofen with it upsetting their belly so if that happens just stop taking. As long as you arent taking them long term then you wont cause damage. I think they say dont take for more than seven days at full dose without consulting a GP.

Hope this reassures you a little