PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else feel like this???

Robertomac
24-06-04, 12:42
Hi everyone

I started suffering from panic attacks about 2/3 months ago.

I feel 100% confident that I could kick this if I could just stop thinking about it. I have some days that are better than others (as I'm sure we all do). Sometimes I spend pretty much all day feeling 'ill at ease', uncomfortable, worried etc. I keep finding my legs constantly moving as like a comforting thing.

I am sick of feeling like this and just want to return to normal. It seems at the moment like all the time I question myself 'Do I feel alright?', or 'Will this situation make me panic?' etc.

My biggest fear i think is of having a heart attack and/or dying, even though I am young fit and healthy. As a result, I keep getting anxiety chest pains and discomfort. I feel as though I am going round in circles!!!

Rob

Purdybird
24-06-04, 13:45
Hi Rob

I know exactly how you are feeling because it's exactly how I feel. It's like half of you feels really strong and is determined to beat this thing and the other half is the worrier who's asking the questions about how ill you are feeling all the time. Each half is trying to gain full control and it's a constant battle.

REMEMBER ALL THE POSITIVES. There is nothing wrong with you, you are fit and healthy. Keeps repeating this to yourself every time that nagging worry about your health enters you mind.

When was the last panic attack? if it was a few days ago congratulate yourself on how well you are doing. You are getting better, you not had one for ......many days now.

I do all this and I believe it's helping me. I am so determined not to let this very frustrating disorder get the better of me. Every time one of those thoughts enters you head - BEAT it away...don't listen to it!!

Purdy x

stimpy
24-06-04, 15:07
Hi Rob and Welcome,

The truth is we all feel like that. You are not alone, at sometime or another we have all been questioning ourselves, and running around in circles.

I didn't have the leg moving thing. I had the whole body moving, in a sort of rocking a baby to sleep type motion.

Chest pains - yep
Palpitations - yep
A feeling of unease - yep
Worried about nothing specific - yep

Try some relaxation exercises as they may help you.
I find they are a great help to me when I have one of my uneasy moments.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Meg
24-06-04, 16:55
Rob,

I hope you've been keeping a journal and can look back and confirm to yourself that you've felt like this before and were okm previously.

Progress is built on 'time without incident' which you reinforce continually

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

diana
28-06-04, 04:46
Hi All,

Just want to welcome purdybird aboard. I hope you have been finding alot of information, suggestions and support here.

Robertomac...............

I agree with Liz. We all feel like that, so nothing unusual there. :)

Everything you listed. I can personally say from my own experience, I have felt.

We all have better days than others too.

Rest assure we could all beat this thing today, if we could all just "STOP THINKING ABOUT IT". Obviously that is the "IT". We think too much. :(

I suppose things could be worse, but whilst in it, it seems as though this is the worst. Does`nt it?

We are all also tired of feeling this way and just want to return to normal. So again you are not alone there.

The thoughts, physical symptoms and fears you have are also quite "NORMAL" , well atleast for us sufferers.

Not to worry mate. This won`t last forever.

We will all feel "normal" again someday.

Purdybird................

Very good way of looking at it (each side of us trying to gain total control).

I never thought of it quite this way.

Indeed, it is a constant battle though. Is`nt it?

I agree with you. We all have to remember the positives, and beat those negative thoughts away when they enter our minds.

So good to hear that you are determined not to let this disorder get the better of you. :)

Liz and Meg replied with some very good suggestions. I do hope you will try one or both and post to let us know if it has helped you a bit.

Hoping you all are feeling good today.

Take care all.

Loadsa Love, Diana xxx

Caz Fab Pants
28-06-04, 16:16
Meg,

Just noticed something you put in your post which I feel compelled to comment on.

Most of the time I agree with everything you say as you are undoubtedly a lady in 'the know'.

However you said we should build our confidence on 'time without incident' which I disagree with. Thats like saying that if you panic when you're out doing something you are taking a turn for the worse. I believe that its ok to have a bit of anxiety or a mild panic as long as you take it in your stride, dont think of it as a catastrophy and cope with the feelings rather than react to them or battle with them.

Its like a lot of the self help books say, you are never cured of this problem you just learn to live with it.

Hope this doesn't cause offence, it's merely how I see things. As I get quite anxious and panic most days it would be quite soul distroying to think that I wasn't making progress. If I've been out and done what I set out to do I see it as progress whether I panicked or not :D

Caroline
x

Meg
28-06-04, 16:49
Hi Caroline,

Definately no offence taken . It good to have differing opinions. Its how we learn.

I was referring to 'incident' as being a situation where the person cannot handle it and turns back and avoiding a situation rather than coping and managing it.

This does with most people result in a blip for a day or two whilst they grapple with feelings of disappointment and increased fear until they can go off once again and have a better day .

Its a term I've used for a while and must not have clarified it recently - sorry.

I didn't mean at all that the steps forward would be a comfortable ride ..I wish lol.

I terms of curing , I think that once your nervous system has learnt to panic, it will remember it in times of strife but I do believe that over time it is possible to overcome it to the point of it not being the primary learned behaviour.

Thanks for picking me up on that point .

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone