PDA

View Full Version : Stopping A Panic Attack When Something Has Actually Happened

coastgirl
29-05-13, 08:11
I have mild panic attacks but I know what they are so I can calm myself down. They never get too bad.

However, I had a terrible panic attack today after getting bit by a spider. It was on my wetsuit and somehow stayed there when I turned the suit right-side out and put it on.

Anyway, saw there was a red mark, and once I confirmed there was a spider there (the dead spider was in the suit) I full on FREAKED out.

I know someone who was killed back home from a wasp sting - a healthy man in his 40's. He had an allergic reaction. So I'm rather scared of insect stings because I feel like you never know.

Being as I've never been bit by a spider, and I had no idea what kind of spider it was (I live in so cal) once that panic set in I could NOT tell if I was having a panic attack OR if it was a reaction to the bite. I jumped in the car and decided to drive to the ER which was only like 2 miles from where I was. I nearly pulled over and called 911 for myself because I thought I wasn't going to make it. I mean, it was BAD. Once I got to the place I calmed down a bit but was still on freak out mode. Basically they said I was going to be fine and just to take some advil or benadryl for the bite. I admitted to them that I couldn't tell if it was a panic attack or a reaction.

My question is this - how can you stop a severe panic attack if there's something like this that happens? Something that could legitimately cause panic-attack like symptoms? I don't want to go into hysterics over every proverbial bee sting. :wacko: It was definitely an over-reaction. Most people would shrug and put some ice on it and see if it got worse. Whereas I thought I was going to die immediately and had a full fledged panic attack.

vicky23
29-05-13, 18:39
hmm to be honest I think that you did the right thing by going to the hospital to get it checked out. I guess that the idea situation would be that you wouldn't go into panic mode but would still be safe and cautious in getting in checked out by a professional.
So I guess the self talk here would be 'I'm sure I'll be fine and these sensations feel a lot like panic but a reasonable thing to do will be to get it checked out'
the experts tell you that you'll be fine, the panic and sensations subside but you're glad you got checked out cos if you did just put ice on it you'd continue to panic wondering if it was a dangerous spider