PDA

View Full Version : My 2 cents to help recover...

Lawton86
30-05-13, 17:50
Hi guys

so after being an anxiety sufferer for 5 years here are my 2 cents. ill try make it as short as I can.

When I first had my panic attack 5 years ago and it left me with de-realization and constant anxiety, it was horrible, I was sooo scared, never felt relaxed, was acrophobic (didn't leave house for 3 months) and felt like I was going crazy or going to die at any point.

It took me about 6 months to start really getting out of this phase and probably a full year and a half to really feel the big drop in anxiety. The thing I always remember thinking when I look back at that time that helped me the most was, getting so fed up with it , I just wasn't bothered no more. I literally spent 3 months waking up, walking straight into another room and sitting at the desk at the computer for about 16 hours and just looking out the window feeling so sad that I thought I could never enjoy it like I used to.

It got to a point where I started to go out with my friends abit again.....admittedly drinking a lot when I did....but so what!!!! it meant atleast I wasn't alone looking out a window.....and more and more I went out and felt crappy at first an de-realized but then the alchol kicked in and made the world feel more stable weirdly???? lol. But then I didn't really have enough money as the rest of them when going out so I thought it was about time to get a part time job......I found one and went for an interview but they could only offer me 28 hours and not part time, but I took it. The interview I felt like I was gunna pass out, soooo warm, dizzy, sweaty, but got through it.

The first few weeks in the job was hard, but still got through them and then made friends.....and was put in more and more social situations until I was dating girls at work , going out, had 2 motorbikes etc etc. I always needed a beer or 2 in a anxious situation but just grew not to care about the feelings and they really did start to go.

At the moment I have been really bad again, 3 weeks ago had a bad panic attack, and I stayed in bed for 3 days, didn't eat, just laid their shaking thinking I was going mad or going to die. Then my dad came and made me get up and get a shower......when he asked me I said 'I darnt dad, im sacred of walking'.....how silly right? but after I ahd got up and got a shower, I had a beer, had some soup, stayed in the living room and went on computer. By no means was I feeling great.....but 2 hours ago I had convinced myself if I got up I would pass out.

On this forum lots of people come with their feelings and bad times, which is all fine and what its here for. But every response is meds, meds, meds, meds, meds, couciling, meds, meds. Which I agree some people say they help. But they don't work for me and ive never really took them.

This morning I woke up with the thought of , well if im going mad or gunna die, lets do it in style. I didn't just get up and lay on couch with laptop and blanket. I got up, but happy music on ('I feel good') , had a shower, did some housework and had 2 bananas and a bacon sandwich. Normally I wouldn't be able to eat much without having alcohol to relax me abit. And I felt better.

The de-realization was there but I was just like, 'well your protecting me and your not going to kill me'! after 5 years ive never been to hospital (touch wood) and never gone mad so think logically! I really believe that soooo much of it is not just sitting down and thinking about how bad you feel , or getting so distracted with your own thoughts that the day just go's by. I know people will hate me for saying this, but if it means you have a glass or two of wine and that gives u the confidence to say f**k you anxiety, im off out, then do it!!!! It surely better than staying in shaking? just keep it under control.

If you know it cant hurt you, and ur not going mad, not matter how much it feels then fight your fears... because your body will have to adapt to know that them fears will soon become normal. it may take 1-20 times , but surely its better then being stuck and thinking this is it right?

that's my 2 cents.......hopefully it might help some people.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

As a great person once said......The only limits you have....are the limits you put on yourself!

Shivmarie
30-05-13, 18:06
Great post, and very inspiring. I've taken the sort of attitude aswell and trying to apply it daily. Mr anxiety is NOT welcome around here xx

Mclovin
30-05-13, 18:35
I agree, alcohol is a Powerfull tool when used correctly.

However, I admittedly do go through addictive phrases where I mentally (no real physical symptoms) need a drink if I use this method too often, and have ended up on 3-4 day benders of constant drinking...Always snap my self out of it eventually, but you have to be careful as you said.

It's SOO annoying that our 'miracle cure' is ourselves, and our opinions/perception of people and the world...But it's very hard to overcome it!

Very frustrating!

Lawton86
30-05-13, 18:54
It is hard, but unless your ready to roll over and let anxiety spank you to the point one day your on your death bed and you think 'I wish I had done this and that and....' . Do something about it!!!! get up, have some dutch courage if like so many of us you need it, and get doing something that really puts you in a position that u want to do but you darnt. Or just do something else that's productive.

I BET YOU 100% YOUR STILL ALIVE AND NOT MAD AFTERWARDS!