PDA

View Full Version : can you be depressed but not feel depressed?

tiredOfOcd
31-05-13, 13:18
i've just been thru a really bad period and have gotten a new therapist.

she tells me that i talk like someone who's depressed.

i'll admit this has been an awful week for me - but can you be depressed without feeling it?

i've been anxiety ridden and my OCD has gone off. i've been distracted but depressed?

can despression slide up on you and you not even be aware?

froggyx
31-05-13, 18:26
Its how you feel, Your maybe ignoring how your feeling. Do you have a busy lifestyle?

tiredOfOcd
31-05-13, 19:15
yes, i am very busy. that's by design. if i am, it keeps the ocd and health anxiety in check.

the last month has been a problem. it became really bad this last week.

i just didn't think depression could happen THAT fast.

cattia
31-05-13, 20:22
It depends what you mean by feeling depressed. I have suffered from depression before, it I didn't feel sad or even hopeless really, I just felt exhausted all the time, like everything was too much and I was wading through mud. I think that depression that comes as secondary to anxiety is perhaps different from major depression that is not rooted primarily in anxiety. For me, I don't think I am really someone who suffers depression, but when my anxiety is really bad, depression kicks in as a result, if that makes any sense?

tiredOfOcd
01-06-13, 15:10
It depends what you mean by feeling depressed. I have suffered from depression before, it I didn't feel sad or even hopeless really, I just felt exhausted all the time, like everything was too much and I was wading through mud. I think that depression that comes as secondary to anxiety is perhaps different from major depression that is not rooted primarily in anxiety. For me, I don't think I am really someone who suffers depression, but when my anxiety is really bad, depression kicks in as a result, if that makes any sense?

that's interesting. i never considered the experience of 'depression' as being different based on its cause.

i knew something wasn't right with me, but wouldn't have considered it was depression. but now that i think about it maybe it was depressions that was starting and i just lucked out in that the cause was relieved before it got any worse.