PDA

View Full Version : Tired of being scared

jamie1125
01-06-13, 04:33
Hi everyone. I am 34 years old. Have a great husband and 2 great kids. I used to go out and do a lot of things but the past 5 years my life has stopped. I am afraid of having a heart attack. It is all I think about. My dad died at the very young age of 37 of a heart attack. My boyfriend died a few years later at the age of 30 of a blood clot that went to his heart. Sooo...needless to say...I am a little bit of a hypochondriac.
I have had numerous tests - including ekg's, sonograms on my heart, and have worn a monitor twice and it all comes back ok. My bp is a little high at times but it is normally anxiety causing it. Also, my cholestoral is good. I have damaged muscles in my left shoulder that causes a lot of pain and numbness on my left side and into my face. That doesn't help with my fears. I am afraid to run, ride a bike, go on a roller coaster or do anything else that may get my heart beating fast because I am afraid I will die. I have muscle spasms in my back and chest and I am convinced these are mini heart attacks. I am on anxiety meds and bp meds. I have preeclampsia with my youngest child and caused me to have high bp. I am better than I was - believe it or not. For about a year I couldn't drive and I barely left my house. going out to eat or to a school function for my kids was out of the question because I was afraid of dying there. I just want to stop being afraid. I want my life back. I know that the chances of me having a heart attack at a young age are slim - yet I still live in constant fear. Also I should tell you that my dad is the ONLY person in my very large family that died of a heart attack. His parents and siblings and my mom's family have never had heart problems of any kind. Still - I worry constantly. sorry this is so long. Thank you for reading.

CharlieM
01-06-13, 09:59
Jamie,

I could have written this. I am absolutely convinced I am going to have a heart attack all day every day. Like you, my family history is the same. Only 1 member of my family died of a heart attack, my father aged 40. I am now 43, so I suspect some of my fear is related to my Dad.

I get left sided pain as well, and when it is at it worst, I am paralysed with fear. I can no longer drive and rarely go out in case I drop dead in public.

I know I have anxiety with occasional panic attacks. I also know that my physical symptoms can be caused by anxiety. But when they are happening, I cannot think rationally.

I try and tell myself that I would have had a heart attack by now because this has been going on for over 8 months.

We both need to try and accept the symptoms for what they are, and allow them to wash over us without fearing death.

Hope you are feeling better today.

Charlie

jaynehal
01-06-13, 11:50
Hi there

Sorry your feeling like this and I know the feeling completely although my dad didn't die of a heart attach he died of cancer and now I have constant fears about that nearly everyday infact the last two years I have suffered bad with my health anxiety and have had numerous Cbt sessions which do help a little. I think when we go through the traumatic time of losing someone close it is normal to feel worried but I have been told to control my worrying thoughts and get on with life as I'm missing out on so much when I'm miserable.

I hope you get through this bad time soon x