PDA

View Full Version : work, disciplinary for attendance

StressedAndDepressed
01-06-13, 10:24
I`'ve been on a bit of a rollercoaster for the past two years. I've not been able to work for some time. Anyhow my recovery was going well and I was planning a phased return to work. My next meeting with the boss and hr was to kick start this. All was well at the last meeting I had and they seemed supportive.

I got a very formal, recorded delivery letter out of the blue. It seems they are planning to take me through a disciplinary for attendance. The letter has unhinged me big time (my brain decides to self harm when I'm stressed to a high level. I think nurses are getting fed up with wound dressing and stitching).

I've got some diazepam and am trying to use it to keep stable. Am ok so far today but am dreading Monday when I'll be at home on my own. I guess they can sack me for attendance and have no way of knowing whats really going on. The union is helping me but they don't know what's going on, the people involved were not around last week to find out.

I've managed to reduce my diazepam intake to 2mg a day, now it's going up quickly. The medics do know about this, the person looking after me is seriously good. Trouble is that she can`t be calming me 24 hrs a day.

Am not even sure why I'm posting this as I'm not sure what I want in response. Maybe someone's been through something similar and can make some suggestions.

No need to worry about me, I've always got to a and e or someone who can help me when things go crashing around me.

kittikat
01-06-13, 11:58
I have been exactly where you are now, even to the point that my formal letter was delivered by courier to my home address one evening when I was alone. It had exactly the same effect on me too.

There is normally a 3 stage process...Your first hearing will be to discuss your attendance/sickness and suggest ways that you can be helped back to work by means of 'reasonable adjustments'. The outcome could be that you are given extra support and a timescale to improve or you could get a formal warning.

I have been through 2 stages so far...the 3rd and final is yet to come. This process has taken almost a year so far, so it is highly unlikely that you will be loosing your job anytime soon.

Also remember that you are covered under the Equalities act for mental health. This gives you extra rights and your employer must show that they are doing all they can to support your return to work.

I agree, it is a very daunting thought and process and it bought about a total relapse in me. I also took diazepam to help give me some 'mind space'.

Anyway, the formal hearing itself should be a supportive one, I don't think you need to worry too much at this stage, but if you are anything like me you will anyway!

Feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything and I will try and help...I empathise and totally understand what you are going through right now.

Take care, Kitti :)

StressedAndDepressed
02-06-13, 09:06
Thanks for your reply, it's good to know that I'm not the only person to experience this. Can you tell me what the three stages are?

Also, no-one has ever mentioned that I'm disabled. Is there a test they do to determine this? I've certainly not been able to do a lot of normal stuff for over a year so suspect I might be classed as so, have also had a couple of spells in hospital.

Many, many thanks

kittikat
03-06-13, 00:34
The company you work for should have an official sickness absence policy for staff setting out the stages of the 'formal' procedure. You should get a copy of this if you are invited to attend a 'formal hearing'. You should also be able to take a work colleague or union rep to support you on the day.

Stage 1 - you attend a meeting with your line manager and HR rep to discuss the issues and try to agree ways to support you in your return to work. This should include reasonable adjustments to help ease you back. A decision will be made and sent to you in writing. I got a 6 month warning.

Stage 2 - If no improvement, same as above.

Stage 3 - meeting with a senior manager and a decision made as to whether you are suitable to keep your job.

There is no test to determine that you are covered by the Equalities act, but generally if you have suffered anxiety that is likely (or has) lasted a year or more you are automatically covered. I am guessing that you would definitely be.

Your company policy may be slightly different, but they camnnot just get rid of you.

Let me know how you get on. I wish you all the best :hugs: xx

Rennie1989
03-06-13, 08:51
I think it's down to the person who determines whether they are disabled or not. But this if the official definition:

"You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities."