PDA

View Full Version : I must be going mad

hem
24-06-04, 21:34
Hello,
I have just been sitting here for 20 mins being paniced about posting a message on a panic attck web site, now i know i am going mad.
I was fine 3 weeks ago, i started a new job and i was doing really well then 2 weeks ago i went to work and half way there on the bus i felt as if i was going to faint. I didnt hyperventilate i just knew that i was going to faint and thet i couldnt stand up. i went to the hospital and they couldn't find anything wrong so they sent me home ( it lasted all day feeling week and then a wave of dizziness would just take over and i had to lie down ) now i am getting panic attacks every day , especially when i am on the bus or when i am behind a till at work because i cannot escape. i feel really paniced and i need to faint. i feel totally hacked off and i dont know what to do to stop them as i have started walking to work even though i know that will not help. told a freind about them and i think she thinks that i am just a bit stressed!!!
liz xx

Meg
24-06-04, 21:56
Hi Liz,

Its called overload !!

You are not going mad , you will not faint . It is a more extreme version of stress

This is not unusual shortly after starting a new job.

Please read 'First Steps' in the welcome section and try to implement it

Sarah will probably add the link for you.

Walking to work will help as its uses up some of the adrenaline you're producing .

Keep posting , it will pass.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

sarah
24-06-04, 22:21
Hiya Liz

here's the link to the first steps post for you....

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

you arent alone in how you feel...glad to have you on board!!!

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

sal
24-06-04, 22:49
Hi Liz

It has a lot to do with stress but a lot to do with how we handle how you are feeling now. You have recognised early on that you have problems and that is a good sign because we can help you get to grips with it before it does you. Anxiety in whatever form it takes is horrible, but firstly you need to believe you are not going mad. If you were going mad you wouldnt be able to consciously think that. Use this site to help you and all the support you will get from your posts. We will help you all we can and remember, admitting a problem is the first major step forward. We are here for you all the way.

Take care

Sal xxxx

seh1980
24-06-04, 23:20
Hi there,

Don't worry, we all think we're going mad when we first start suffering from anxiety and panic attacks!! Walking to work will help you lots because the more you exercise, the less anxious you will feel. I know it helps me. Anyway, you have come to the right place so have a look around all the info - I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful hints. Take care.

Sarah (seh1980)

hem
25-06-04, 21:49
Thanks for all the advice, its great to know that there are people out there who are going through the same things as i am sure that most people i tell just think panic attacks are simply feeling a bit scared. i get so totally paralysed during them that i could tell them it is a bit worse than that. have already started cutting out caffine and trying to relax myself more in the enevings, i hope that if i go spending time in the evenings instead of worrying about what is going to happen tomorow at work then i may be able to get to the point where the attacks are less frequent. walking to work will help although it will not cure my fear of getting on a bus and i still have to walk where there is no sun as i am getting terrified of being in the sun( if i go into the sun i will faint) .. great time to start having these panic attacks .. just when summer is comming !!!

Rennie1989
25-06-04, 22:49
liz

i can see wat ya mean. the owner of dis site, nic AKA omorepanic, had a simular thing as u

also, welcome to da site

Scooter Girl

if i wa hungry would u feed me, if i fell u you help me up, if i was crying would brush away my tears

hem
27-06-04, 01:35
Just out of interest are there any medical reasons why we get like this... for example .. today i got on a bus and freaked out yet 7hrs later i was standing up in a concert in front of a room full of people and reciting a monologue with nothing more than butterflies in my stomach... what is the medical explanation for why i am fine in a normally nerve shredding experiance but i go to peices on a 504 bus.. it is a really good thing that i have a sense of humour

Meg
27-06-04, 07:16
Its all to do with what messages you give yourself as you're appraoching and geting on the bus.

Developing fears of places where you may feel trapped is very common with panic.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

april tones
27-06-04, 07:46
hi liz, your not alone and your not going mad. I felt like you few years ago when mine first started, they got worse as i didnt know they were panic attacks and didnt know much about them. They are harmless to us but just cause alot of distress, i find the more you know about them the better, take care, love april xx

apriltones

nomorepanic
28-06-04, 21:25
Hi Liz

Welcome aboard to the site and the forum.

I hate public transport so I avoid it - buses, trains, planes, taxis etc.

My main panic is when driving so I am doing well to conquer that at the moment. Then I need to conquer the buses etc.

I hope you find some help here and realise that you aren't mad and you can get over this.

Good luck

Nicola