PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassed to leave food unbeaten in restaurants

phil6
03-06-13, 16:19
Hi all,
My anxiety always focuses on my stomach, and causes lake of appetite and even nausea.
I am faced with 2 weeks away from home and eating out.
I find the fear of leaving my food unbeaten so embarrassing that I bring on panic once it is delivered to the table, thus killing my appetite.
Looking for reassurance that it is ok to leave food, if I find I can eat only a little.
Phil

Annie0904
03-06-13, 16:42
I often just order a child's portion. If they don't do child portions I just push what I can't eat to the side and explain that the food was lovely but I have a small appetite and the portion was too much for me.

AlexandriaUK
03-06-13, 16:45
My motto is I am paying for it so I can eat or leave it, well its mine isnt it so I can do what I like with it, why worry the worst case scenario is you can ask for a doggy bag that's what I always do, can never finish a meal as they seem to give me way too much, also if you are really worried ask for a kids meal or for a smaller plate, tell them you are on a diet LOL
Go and have a great time, you will probably be chatting so much you want even notice what you are eating, also their will usually be some one at the table who can finish yours as well :D

PanchoGoz
03-06-13, 17:10
It seems like everyone finishes their meal nowadays, but I think a lot of people leave bits, we know when we are full. Spend a moment taking in your food aesthetically, smelling it, nibbling it, enjoy it!

Edie
03-06-13, 17:50
I often just order a child's portion. If they don't do child portions I just push what I can't eat to the side and explain that the food was lovely but I have a small appetite and the portion was too much for me.

I do exactly this as well.

My ex used to work as a waiter, and his chef told him he didn't mind people leaving food, he would prefer they enjoyed their food than stuffed themselves trying to clear the plate.

unsure_about_this
03-06-13, 18:38
I have a small appetite, even when we went to United States and Canada on a coach tour my parents and I struggled sometimes to finished the meals we ordered sometimes.

In all inclusive hotels we have stayed in, for buffet meals I make sure I don't fill my plate to high, so I can finished it and maybe go back for more.

Sometimes there is too much food on the plate in some restaurants we have ate at, but usually it the chips I don't always finished.

Sparkle1984
03-06-13, 20:18
I've always had a smaller than average appetite, and when I have a meal I almost always end up leaving some. I'm a fussy eater anyway, so sometimes I end up leaving certain vegetables or sauces that I don't like. Most of the time, no-one says anything. However, when I went out for a family meal a few weeks ago, I had an even lower appetite due to recently starting meds, and I left quite a bit of my food. The waitress asked me if the food was OK, but she didn't ask that of anyone else. I would normally just say that the food was nice, but I have a small appetite and couldn't manage it all.