PDA

View Full Version : Really nervous about benefits application help please

agneskrob
03-06-13, 19:16
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of applying for benefits as I've been suffering with anxiety and depression since February of last year, and at the moment am unable to leave the house on my own. My husband works two jobs and we were coping financially, unfortunately his hours have been reduced so I'm just asking for help until I'm able to go back to work. For some reason I feel really bad about having to apply I feel guilty, as I think that a lot of people see people on benefits as scrounges, but if I can't leave the house on my own how can I go to work.

I guess I'm just asking how other people feel about this? Also my doctors certificate was only dated for 2 months is that normal, does that mean that he thinks I should try to go to work in two months, as at this point that feels impossible and adds to my anxiety. I'm just really worried about this whole process as have read some posts on here of people being treated badly by the works department. Any advice would be very much appreciated, thank you,
Agnes

flossie
03-06-13, 20:38
This is a good site to give information about benefit entitlementhttp://benefitsandwork.co.uk/
You will need to make another appointment to see your GP for the date when your certificate ends. Your GP will then decide whether you are fit for work or not.
I am agoraphobic and unable to attend appointments. I get help from No Panic http://www.nopanic.org.uk/

Snoodlester
03-06-13, 20:47
Hi Agnes

I've got a similar worry about benefits. I've recently applied for ESA as I don't feel able to look for work, and at the moment I have more bad days than good so I would risk relapsing again and I don't want to do this to a new employer. I got help from the Citizens Advice Bureau and they were very good - I wasn't able to get to them, so I emailed them for help and they responded straight away.

Good luck, I know how difficult this is.

Sue x

shakey1961
04-06-13, 06:32
Hi Agnes.

There is nothing wrong in applying for benefits - that's what they're there for. The vast majority of people on benefits are not scroungers, though some are, and we've all seen on TV the fat parents with 20 kids and a 10 bedroom house, getting £50k a year on state benefits, but they are very much the exception to the rule. TV and media are all too quick to label people on benefits as scroungers and they'll always find people and show pictures of scruffy people with a cig in their mouth holding a can of cheap lager. The present government don't help by highlighting what they think are scroungers.

All you're asking for is some help and support while you go through a difficult period, which if my memory serves me correct, was what the welfare system was set-up to do in the first place.

If you have worked in the past, and your husband is working I see, then you've both paid into the system, well now is the time you need it to pay you back and support you. Don't feel guilty. Will you be spending any benefit you get on cigarettes, drink, and drugs? No! You'll be using it as intended to keep yourselves going.

As for your doctors note only being dated for 2 months, that's normal. Just go back and see him/her when it's due to expire, explain that you're not better and he/she should renew it. You may have to keep getting it renewed, but if you illness turns out to be long-term (and I really hope it doesn't) then you should eventually get notes that last for 6 months at a time.

That's my experience of it anyway.

Stop worrying and apply - you're not a scrounger.

NOGGIN
05-06-13, 19:19
Has your doctor spoken of any counselling?