PDA

View Full Version : Worry of lung cancer :(

Charlee123
04-06-13, 10:38
10 days now i have had what feels like a tight upper chest & throat. Its constant. Light headedness too. Seen doc twice & both said airway sounds fine, oxygen levels were at 99 which is fantastic. Given ibuprofen for the pain thinking it maybe muscular. I am convinced this is lung cancer. I actually have become depressed and cry daily as i have two young children. I only cough if i breath out hard. Its not asthma or an infection. Just feels like my airway/upper part of my lungs are restricted. I am so scared. I used to smoke occasionally, but quit in march.

aggiecuttler
04-06-13, 11:00
well done for stopping smoking good on you, do you suffer with hayfever this can play havoc with cough etc, if you are still worried go back to your dr that is why they are there blessings

Charlee123
04-06-13, 11:18
No hayfever. I dont have a cough only a tight chest. No other symptoms but im convinced its cancer as ive had it persistently for 10 days.

Shivmarie
04-06-13, 14:38
IM GOING THROUGH THE EXACT SAME!
My pharmacist suggested it could be hayfever/allergy related and advised me to take an antihistamine.
Yet im convinced i have something wrong with lungs, my lungs are clear and my bloods come back fine but othing will tell me otherwise!

Charlee123
04-06-13, 18:05
My mum suggested hayfever also. Did the tablets work for you? I have never had hayfever. I am sat here crying i so scared i feel like ringing nhs direct. Fat lot of good that will do thou. My chest was listened too on two seperate occasions both times doc said my chest souded clear. My oxyen levels are spot on. I just want the tightness to go.
How lon have you had it?

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

Also i have had bloods taken not so long ago, a few months back (i was worried about something else) they all came back fine. But this has only been for 10 days so i dont get any comfort from that.

Shivmarie
04-06-13, 18:36
I noticed I had it a few days after a major anxiety attack, I had another anxiety attack last week low and behold here is the chest tightness. I have noticed I've had some sinus burning and stuff to aswell as this sore throat yet my tonsils are fine etc.
I've had for about 3-4 weeks now. Really time my GP prescribed my diazepam for chest tightness to relax the muscles. I haven't used one I got past it, but I think I might have to if it continues. It's getting me down, I rung nhs direct and went to the out of hours for peace of mind so if you think it will help then do it xx

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

My bloods were done end of April, again all fine. It's so confusing isn't it?:shrug::weep:

Charlee123
04-06-13, 19:24
I rung them last week and went in and doctor didnt no what was causing it. He said possibly stress. Then last week i saw another doctor and he said it could be muscular so im on anti inflammatorys. This came on suddenly without any panic attack which is
Why im scared.

Shivmarie
04-06-13, 19:38
Yeah mine came on like a week to 10 days after my attack before, or when I've had a slight symptom the movie over think it the worst it feels. I didn't realise the muscles in our chests were so sensitive.
How's your breathing? Also do you have any mucus etc atall?

Charlee123
04-06-13, 19:47
No mucus. Nothing. My muscles do hurt when i stretch but i feel pain even when resting. If i breath out really hard it causes me to cough and it feels like i need to take my inhaler but it doesnt work as doc said this isnt asthma! Bah it must be cancer.

nomorepanic
04-06-13, 20:45
I think everyone coughs if they breathe out really hard - I just did when I tried it.

It could be muscular

Charlee123
04-06-13, 20:51
The pain possibly. But the tightness wont be muscular. Surely. Im going back to docs tomorrow and im going to explain my worries.

Shivmarie
04-06-13, 21:04
I Did too.
I'm lying down and focusing on my breathing too much. I keep swallowing too much too :-(

Charlee123
04-06-13, 21:16
Now i used to have that, i can tell you 100% thats anxiety. Mine on the other hand doesnt seem quite right.

Shivmarie
04-06-13, 21:34
Your blood tests would indicate something.
The tightness I was told was muscles it was horrendous I could nearly breath out, a few days after calming down it started to pass.
The more I focus on it the worst it gets

Charlee123
04-06-13, 22:32
I only had bloods taken beggining of the year. This has only been for 10 days. So it makes me want my bloods taken again & i want an xray :( will be my only way of comfort

Shivmarie
04-06-13, 22:39
Yep I'm in the same boat but they're really not going for it, my GP isn't. As I'm it showing any symptoms which requires further tests. Ill just go straight to a and e or get the walk in to refer me if its persistent

Charlee123
04-06-13, 22:49
Will you go to a & e? What so u think they will say? I am off to doctors tomorrow i will let u no what happens x

Charlee123
05-06-13, 18:34
I went to docs. Chest sounded normal but she gave me 5 days of steroids to see if it could be my asthma playing up. Also an inhaler. I am really worried still and i go back tuesday to discuss how i have been. I just no deep down its serious :( cant stop crying and feel full of dread and fear

Shivmarie
29-06-13, 17:04
My chest is paying up again. Yet again though all my stats are normal. No concerns by the docs, but for completeness giving me a chest X-ray. It's really pissing me off now now excuse my French x

Speranza
29-06-13, 17:08
Hey there,
hope you are okay. You say in your first post it's not asthma, but then you mention 'your asthma'. Do you think it might be that, just a little panic added in?

FWIW I began with hayfever most unexpectedly in my 40s. It can start later in life, and it is very much as you describe.

Just remember your body is getting enough oxygen. It truly is, or you wouldn't be able to sit and type. Just remember how many times you have panicked before, and how it has always been okay.

Hugs to you. :hugs:

hheavenlyangel
30-06-13, 12:08
Charlee, Im pretty sure its not cancer, It sure doesn't sound like it. About 4 months ago I got a flu shot, not long after I had the same thing, tightness in the chest, just wouldn't budge, I told my dr about it and he said asthma, I get exercise enduced asthma and I was thinking yeah right... I too thought catastrophically as you have. I thought the worst. I got some OTC cough syrup which helped move whatever the heck it was and THEN I had a cough for like 5 weeks - that was more frightening to than having the tightness in the chest. So my point to you, is there are a number of things that are certainly contributing to the tightness. 1. You're stressed about it, this alone will cause tightness in the chest. 2. The more you think about it, the more you're going to notice. 3. It really can just be allegy related, are you in summer over there yet? Have you noticed any flowers in bloom? grasses, could even be plain old air pollution. Dr's really do know what to look out for and if there was even the slightest chance that you could have lung cancer, they would have definitely sent you off for an xray. If you're still not convinced, go back to your dr, tell them you haven't been sleeping, you cant function, you're exhausted, tell them you need to get an x-ray just for peace of mind. I am more than confident it really is nothing though sweetie. Just relax, its going to be fine.