PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you notice a panic attack coming on?

laura1200
05-06-13, 13:46
I apologise if this thread has been done before.

How do you cope when you realise a panic attack is imminent?

& what techniques do you use to help calm yourselves either just before or during the attack?

I have been googling like mad today what to do during, but there's lots of different opinions and I don't know what the best technique is. :shrug:

Stormsky
05-06-13, 14:40
Panic is fuelled by all the ' oh my god, I'm going to die, I'm having a heart attack, I'm going to pass out' etc etc...all the thoughts you have when you feel attack coming on... When I felt anxious, I just ignored it, said to myself, it's nothing, it will pass... You can't panic if you don't let the adrenaline rush build.... I haven't had a panic attack for years now...

Ison
05-06-13, 23:21
I read something the other day that suggested that you try and have a look around you, look at the sky and the clouds and think what there made off, look at the flowers and the trees around you and try counting the leaves, remind your self what books you've been reading or have read....

Try and think of spelling your name backwards, anything but concentrate on the "panic" I found this a little hard to try and do at first I admit, I mean after all I was in "panic" mode....

Try it though, as soon as you feel a one coming on then do something that you would not normally do, by this I mean something as easy as taking your keys off your key ring and putting them back on, something that occupies the brain other than your fears.

You mentioned that you have tried Google, that's ok, you'll find things that will help you, try and have a look around you and tell your self what colors of the buildings your seeing are.... lots of stuff other than the "panic" thoughts and it's helping me..... :)

Justin1973
06-06-13, 20:27
I focus on slowing down my breathing and I think of the word "calm" and the sensation that comes with calm.

I just completed a stress control course. They were saying that panic attacks come because people hyperventilate, without even knowing it. They described how you hyperventilate discreetly. Noticing how your breathing from you chest, taking quick shallow breathes. That apparently is hyperventilating. I always thought it was hard, fast breathing and making a right noise of it. That's true but, apparently, you can do it without you or anyone knowing and after a long period of doing this, that's when panic can strike in a fear, or uncomfortable situation.

So, check your breathing every so often and just chain it to a slow breathes, from the diaphragm. That calms the body down nicely.

The other tricks of keeping the mind bus is a very good one, especially if you're having to sit down somewhere and there's no opportunity to take a wonder out, like a wedding for example.

Hope this all helps :)

Ison
06-06-13, 20:46
excellent post, you hit the nail on the head with that.

I have read so much about breathing and the techniques....

Thanks so much for that.... I agree, breathe and check your having deep breaths.....

Good post. :)

I've been out today and walked to the local shop, something I would not have done a year or so ago.....

Justin1973
06-06-13, 20:56
Your Welcome :)

What blew me away was that we can hyperventilate so quietly and without knowing!
You see it on TV programmes when people hyperventilate in comedies and soap operas. It's very loud, dramatic and very noticeable. Yep, I believe people really hyperventilate that way. I just didn't realise that by shallow breathing from the chest was considered the same! So, I learnt something there alright. It's just a case of correcting ourselves when we notice we breath from our chests.

I'd say to anyone, don't worry or berate yourself if you find you're doing this. Just sigh and then correct and breath from the stomach. It helps loads :)

Ison
06-06-13, 21:11
I totally agree with you and your post is great.

I was sitting the other night and noticed my breathing (and have done for some time) that it was shallow, I wasn't taking in deep breaths as to speak. You don't know your doing it....."shallow" breathing, you know exactly as you have explained.

I admit that I do this....I do this quite a lot

I downloaded and listened to an mp3 the other night that was all about the "breathing" and the techniques and it basically told you that you should concentrate on the "in breath" and the "out breath" and this is something that I've been following for a few weeks now, it's funny that you mention it and have posted. It mentions that you need to pay attention to it....

It starts by saying not to follow anything other than the "breath" and concentrate purely on this and nothing else, Quite hard to do as you mind can wonder and you have to then regain control and concentrate.....

Fascinating that you posted this as it's something that is quite important.

Thanks for sharing this..... really good post.