PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline, beginning to help?

Her Indoors
05-06-13, 18:38
Hi All,

Just a quick post to say, I think the medication is beginning to help me and I have been feeling a little better, but don't want to say too much incase I jinx myself. My advice (only from personal experience) is that it does take a while to "kick in" and to stick it out if you possibly can (believe me I KNOW how hard that can be when you feel so terrible!).

It's been 12 weeks Tuesday since I started taking it (not that I'm counting or anything, well actually I am, on the calendar and marking off the days, thank you OCD!).:)

Hopefully this will give any of you starting on this medication encouragement that you will soon start to feel better and give anxiety, OCD and depression the "boot".

Take care all of you.

Kind regards.

J xx

Hi Ducky, hope you are ok too and beginning to settle x

Ccat
05-06-13, 23:07
Hi J

Thank you for posting this - I am new to the board- have been on sertraline nearly 5 weeks- and last week i was feeling a lot more positive - then last couple of days- i have not been so good. Had a panic attack this morning.

I think i have had side-efects of vivid dreams , night sweats and i have an ongoing problem with my left arm being numb/tingling/ occassionally a bit shaky (hate that- it freaks me out)- to be fair it did feel odd before sertraline- but have been grinding my teeth too- and i feel this may have made it worse?

I felt ready to chuck in the towel but hearing that it takes that bit more time to fully kick in is encouraging.

best wishes, hope it continues to help, Ccat xxx

Her Indoors
05-06-13, 23:25
Hi Ccat,

As I said, I have been on Sertraline for 12 weeks now, at the maximum dose of 200 mg and it is only really this week that I have begun to feel consistently better. I had odd days when I felt better, then weeks when I was in dispair and was considering asking to be taken off it. Stick with it if you can (I really feel for you) as I think it is quite slow acting, but this is only my opinion of course.

I found that taking it on an empty stomach was really not a good idea (frequent trips to the bathroom, enough said) and found that eating stodgy white bread and then taking the tablets really helped.

Good luck and I sincerely hope you feel better soon. Let me know how you get on (if you don't mind).

J xx:hugs:

ps hopefully your side effects should settle in a couple of weeks. I found I was very aware that I seemed to be "clamping" my teeth together during the day, but this seems to have subsided now. My hands have been quite shakey as well, but this too is settling. My thoughts are much calmer and rational now and the obsessive worrying is greatly improved and I can now sleep without sleeping tablets, which is great. I wish you loads of luck on your road to recovery.

Ccat
05-06-13, 23:58
Ah- thank you so much J-

I think I had unrealistic expectations of how quickly I might see an improvement- I seem to remember the dr mentioning 2-3 weeks- so naturally that then makes you panic if you're not seeing improvement!I am on 50mg.

Thank you for the tip- i did feel a bit sick when i took it today and had only had a banana.

all the best to you too- i will update on how i'm going- and let me know how you're doing too please

C xxx

:hugs:

blackbroom
06-06-13, 01:09
Thanks for posting this. I have been prescribed Sertraline but haven't started taking it yet and have been worried that the possible side effects might outweigh the benefits. I might give it a go now.

Her Indoors
06-06-13, 09:01
Hi Ccat and Blackbroom,

Woke up this morning feeling panicky (apparently mornings are the last thing to get better, so I have been told), but this is now settling and I have had my medication and a cuppa and am feeling okish now. Perhaps it's the thought of having a day doing housework after months of doing just the basics (well sweet Fanny Adams actually) :D so maybe it's that!

I have found that I really need to be in bed by about 10.30 pm and get plenty of rest while I am recovering, but it wasn't that long ago when I was only getting a few hours at night due to my anxiety. From my experience I have found the Sertraline has definitely helped me to sleep. The first thing I noticed to improve was that I felt better in the evenings generally and was able to sleep. I forget how many weeks I was taking it before this started happening and was taking sleeping tablets for a while, but now don't need these at all.

Keep me posted how you go on and I wish you the very best and take care.:hugs:

Jxx

Her Indoors
08-06-13, 15:10
Hi there,

Just a quick post to say I am feeling so much better (even in the mornings, yay!) and my anxiety is getting under control and my obsessive thoughts are calming and I am feeling much more positive and looking forward to things again.

Try and stick with it if you can, I think realistically this medication needs a good 3 months + to start to work (just my opinion though, of my own experience).

Take care.

J xx

LucyR
08-06-13, 15:18
Thanks for posting this. I have been prescribed Sertraline but haven't started taking it yet and have been worried that the possible side effects might outweigh the benefits. I might give it a go now.
Hi, I know how you feel, but I have found this medication to be really a great help and I am now feeling much better.

Ccat
08-06-13, 18:24
Hi J-

it is great to hear you are still doing well- thank you again for encouragement.

I am thinking some of my arm symptoms might be cubital tunnel syndrome (where a nerve in your arm gets a bit squashed basically) That would account for elbow pai, tingliness, numbness - though no one mentions shakiness in arm:scared15:

I find that the most frightenig nsymptom,

Ccat xxx

carefree68
08-06-13, 19:43
Hi there just started taking sertraline 2 days ago and have been reading your posts. Great to know that you a feeling better and looking forward to the same. I was told 3 weeks and the side effects will settle down, but from reading your post this appears to be alot longer?
I started writing a Sertraline diary on here and thought it may help me get through each day one step at a time and so that I can hopefully see improvements as the days go on.
Looks like it effects people in different ways. When did you really start to notice a difference?

skoosh1
09-06-13, 13:12
Hi J, so glad you are feeling better. I'm a couple of weeks in front of you and feel a difference too but still getting the odd day my thoughts are haywire. I also need to put weight on as lost nearly two stone and down to 7 stone 11 lbs and eating alot but not putting it on so thats worrying me.

Her Indoors
10-06-13, 09:03
Hi All,

Had a good weekend and off out later (on my own!) into town and feeling ok. A little panicky on waking but nothing major and settling now and looking forward to looking round the shops. I must be feeling better as now interested in clothes and my appearance (I sound like a right airhead :D!) and back to putting on makeup again (don't want to frighten people anymore!).

Ccat, sorry to hear about your arm, hope that settles down soon. I have been experiencing shakiness in my hands but this seems to be diminishing now and I'm not quite sure whether this was a side effect of the medication or just that I was so anxious.

Carefree, it was about the 12 week mark that I noticed I was feeling consistently better in the day, after only having odd days before, evenings and sleeping improved much more quickly (can't accurately remember when, think it was about 6 weeks, maybe a little sooner?), and I was taking sleeping tablets for a while, but now don't need them at all and generally sleep well. I am taking the maximum dose of 200 mg after starting on 50 mg and increasing up quickly over a matter of weeks (but I was under the care of Intensive Support during this time).

Hi Skoosh, I too lost a lot of weight during this "episode" and am having trouble putting it back on. I am quite tall and lost over a stone and was quite slim to start with. I have switched to full fat milk and just try to eat more when I can and when I fancy it. My appetite has improved now that I am not so anxious. When my anxiety is bad, the first thing I lose is my appetite then I don't sleep very well. Try to eat little and often, yoghurts and bananas I find are easy if you don't fancy anything much.

Take care everyone and I wish you loads of luck on your road to recovery. You WILL get better, it just takes a little longer for some of us.:hugs:

J xx

Her Indoors
11-06-13, 09:30
Hi All,

Having a massive wobble today, awoke feeling anxious and panicky and am really fed up after having such a good week and feeling that I was "cured". I know setbacks are to be expected so will try to keep positive.

I will persevere because I have felt better, so know I can again, and my thoughts have been calm.

Take care.

J xx

carefree68
11-06-13, 15:12
Hi J, Love your determination good for you. Hope the rest of your day improves, stay positive.
L

Her Indoors
12-06-13, 07:53
Hi All,

Oh dear having a massive wobble, not at all well again today, anxious and panicky, slept badly and feel really dreadful and scared. Last week was good, now I feel like I am back to square one again.

Just took my medication, hope I will settle soon, but fear I won't as was like this all day yesterday. Cried a lot yesterday, did very little just felt I couldn't cope. Can anyone suggest a good medication for obsessive thoughts and anxiety? Will try to stick it out until my next appointment, but feel so frightened by all this.

Sorry to moan, feel desperate again.

J xx:weep:

carefree68
12-06-13, 22:02
Hi can I just ask, has any one experienced hot/icy cold tingling sensationsin various parts of the body, Im on Day 6 Sertraline and Have been experience this side effect for 2 days. it feels very strange.

Ccat
13-06-13, 00:51
Dear J,

I just wanted to say I'm sorry youve had a bad few days, i'm sure it is probably just a "blip"- maybe they get less and less- but don't disapear completely- or take a bit longer til you don't get any.

Anyway, sending you hugs:hugs:
ccat xxx

---------- Post added at 00:51 ---------- Previous post was at 00:50 ----------

dear Carefree

Yes- I have been getting a lot of tingling and pins and needles sensations

xxx

Her Indoors
24-06-13, 15:56
Hi All,

Having a really terrible time and my anxiety and OCD thoughts are through the roof. I am having a consultant appointment tomorrow and am terrified, but more afraid he won't be able to help me. I am hoping for a medication review as I am certainly no better, but not sure I can cope with new tablets, or if anyone can help me. Its all such a mess and a struggle every day.

Can anyone advise me on an effective anxiety medication for OCD/anxiety/depression? I can't function at the moment and am getting desperate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I really need it. Many thanks.

Ccat
24-06-13, 17:29
So sorry to hear that J - you know- the consultant might well be able to help chick- I think my brother takes epilin ? or OCD ( itis an epilepsy drug but can be used for ocd- i think)
Are you eating/ sleeping ok?
Please let us know how it goes tomorrow.
hugs to you
xxx

carefree68
25-06-13, 14:41
Sorry to hear you are feeling so awful, I hope they can find the right meds for you, you should not have to feel this awful, and you were doing so well. Keep in touch and good luck for tomorrow hun.
xx:hugs:

Ccat
25-06-13, 22:08
How did you get on J?

thinking of you and hoping you got some help,

love ccat :hugs:

Her Indoors
26-06-13, 10:04
Thank you so much ccat and carefree for your kind replies, means so much to me I am so low and despondent. I sincerely hope you are improving and doing well.

Went to my appointment with the consultant but feel it was a complete waste of time. He is only going to tweak my medication a little, even though I explained it wasn't helping me, and I thought I would be offered a little more support of some kind, but think that is it really for me. He listened to me and asked me some questions, but seemed at a loss really how to help me. At the end of the session he suggested private therapy would really be my best option to ensure I saw the same therapist and I can see his point as I find seeing different people makes me very anxious. I left my appointment feeling very confused and frightened, and as I feared, no-one could help me.

I am getting very desperate now as no-one really seems to be able to help me. My GP had signed me over to intensive support, who have signed me over to another mental health team and they seem to be unable to help me as well. I can't go back to my GP because he can't change my meds without authorisation and I feel I am in limbo. All the while I am getting more anxious, depressed and hopeless.

Last week I was in so much turmoil and distress my husband had to phone to try to get me some help but was just passed about from my GP to intensive support to the mental health team.

I am not sure how much more I can take and am worn out. I have been diagnosed with a severe anxiety disorder and clinical depression and am struggling to eat and function. I don't understand why they won't change my medication but seem ok about prescribing me diazepam?

It's all such a mess and I just don't know what to do. Can I insist on a medication change? I am at the end of my tether.

Sorry to be so negative, any advice as to what to do would be so much appreciated. Many, many thanks, I am at a loss.

Kind regards,

J xx

Tufty
26-06-13, 11:56
:hugs::hugs::hugs: J

I've just read back over this thread and it sounds like you've had a rocky road with Sertraline but 2 weeks ago you were sounding better, it may be the increase to 200mg that is still settling down.

I'm sorry to hear about your consultant appointment it feels horrible when you go to them believing that they may have some suggestion or idea that could help you but come up with nothing.

As for your question about your choice to medication changing I can only share my experience with psych meds and doctors. In 1996 I was told I had post natal depression, I was highly anxious and now know it was post traumatic stress, anyway I was prescribed Lofepramine - which I took for 5 weeks and it made me depressed and suicidal, so the doctors kept increasing the dose. I wanted to stop it but my GP wouldn't allow me to as a psychiatrist had told them to keep me on it, when I told the psychiatrist I was going to stop it as I felt worse than when starting it she told me I would get much worse and she would section me. Fortunately I found a GP that supported my decision, I stopped it and felt much, much better. Later I did suffer with post natal depression but refused to take medication after that experience.

In 2003 the anxiety returned and I tried 3 antidepressants which didn't suit me but my psychiatrist listened to me and prescribed a 4th, Prozac and I never looked back.

Last year I stopped Prozac and have since been on a merry go round of drugs. My GP was at a loss at what to do and referred me to a psych again who I saw 2 weeks ago. I had been on Pregabalin for 5 months and Mirtazapine for 8 weeks and felt worse than when not on medication. I told her I wasn't happy on the combination of drugs and wanted to go back to Prozac. She said I had to stay on the same drugs for another 2 months and wrote to my GP stating this. I went saw a GP 10 days ago who wasn't happy to change me onto Prozac as he hadn't received the psych letter but yesterday I saw a GP who was happy for me to stop Mirtazapine and restart Prozac.

So in answer to your question, YES you can insist on a medication change. As long as you are fully aware of the implications of stopping and starting antidepressants, it is your choice. Have you considered reducing the Sertraline to see if that helps? Last year when I restarted Prozac I felt awful and only felt better when I reduced the dose, it may be worth a try. Sertraline should be decreased slowly anyway so if you start feeling better at a lower dose you may not need to restart another drug.

Have you tried any other medication?

Please hold on to the thought that we will get better and this will all be a distant nightmare.

Take care
Sam

Ccat
26-06-13, 12:15
Dear J

I am so sorry that the consultant wasn't very helpful. I can understand that you might be feeling like you don't know what to do.

Having read Sams reply - I think that it is reassuring to know you do have a choice chick- you can change meds if you like-maybe you will have the same experience as Sam and find that cutting down- a lower dose suits you better.

I can relate to to how you are feeling petal- After about 4/5 wks- i was feeling tentatively quite a bit better but now at about week 6/7 i seem to have fallen back again. Mainly because i am getting a lot of physical symptoms causing me awful hea;lth anxiety.

You know chick i noticed when you don't eat enough that can stop you sleeping. So try to have somethin even if it is small snacks i you can't face meals- also ave you ever trired hypnotherapy - you can buy and download things on i tunes - i felt self-conscious at first but if you just concentrate on wat they are saying- i find it distracts me from my negative thoughts- and i have actually fallen asleep listening to them-

please keep us updated, I am sending you love and hugs- remember you were feeling better and you will agin- this difficult time will pass.

love ccat xxx

Her Indoors
26-06-13, 15:09
:hugs::hugs::hugs: J

I've just read back over this thread and it sounds like you've had a rocky road with Sertraline but 2 weeks ago you were sounding better, it may be the increase to 200mg that is still settling down.

I'm sorry to hear about your consultant appointment it feels horrible when you go to them believing that they may have some suggestion or idea that could help you but come up with nothing.

As for your question about your choice to medication changing I can only share my experience with psych meds and doctors. In 1996 I was told I had post natal depression, I was highly anxious and now know it was post traumatic stress, anyway I was prescribed Lofepramine - which I took for 5 weeks and it made me depressed and suicidal, so the doctors kept increasing the dose. I wanted to stop it but my GP wouldn't allow me to as a psychiatrist had told them to keep me on it, when I told the psychiatrist I was going to stop it as I felt worse than when starting it she told me I would get much worse and she would section me. Fortunately I found a GP that supported my decision, I stopped it and felt much, much better. Later I did suffer with post natal depression but refused to take medication after that experience.

In 2003 the anxiety returned and I tried 3 antidepressants which didn't suit me but my psychiatrist listened to me and prescribed a 4th, Prozac and I never looked back.

Last year I stopped Prozac and have since been on a merry go round of drugs. My GP was at a loss at what to do and referred me to a psych again who I saw 2 weeks ago. I had been on Pregabalin for 5 months and Mirtazapine for 8 weeks and felt worse than when not on medication. I told her I wasn't happy on the combination of drugs and wanted to go back to Prozac. She said I had to stay on the same drugs for another 2 months and wrote to my GP stating this. I went saw a GP 10 days ago who wasn't happy to change me onto Prozac as he hadn't received the psych letter but yesterday I saw a GP who was happy for me to stop Mirtazapine and restart Prozac.

So in answer to your question, YES you can insist on a medication change. As long as you are fully aware of the implications of stopping and starting antidepressants, it is your choice. Have you considered reducing the Sertraline to see if that helps? Last year when I restarted Prozac I felt awful and only felt better when I reduced the dose, it may be worth a try. Sertraline should be decreased slowly anyway so if you start feeling better at a lower dose you may not need to restart another drug.

Have you tried any other medication?

Please hold on to the thought that we will get better and this will all be a distant nightmare.

Take care
Sam

Thank you so much Sam for your reply, sounds like you have really been "through the mill" and I hope you are beginning to settle a bit now.

The consultant is going to reduce my Sertraline down to 150 mg and up the Mirtazapine to 45 mg, but I am really not hopeful. I am plagued by intrusive thoughts and worries and really need some serious help now as battling just to get through the day. A couple of weeks ago I was feeling better, but now am even worse and in despair with unrelentless anxiety. I struggle to get out of bed and today am still not dressed, my friend keeps popping in to see me because she is so worried and I feel so guilty about all the worry I am causing my family. I cry all the time and feel I have no future and can't see I will ever get better. My husband, children, mum and dad, family and friends all mean the world to me and I love them all so much, but I am in so much turmoil I often wish I wouldn't wake up. I want my life back, but feel I will always be like this. I am just grateful that my children are grown adults, I really feel for anybody going through this with a young family, I just don't know how they cope.

I have only ever been on Mirtazapine before the Sertraline, but understand there are many different SSRI's, Prozac was one that was mentioned to me.

Hopefully, I should get a call to see what else can be done to help me. I have heard of Pregabalin and was wondering if that would be of any help, but understand it is very expensive so not sure I would even be able to get it. Frankly, I would try anything at the moment, even ECT am getting so desperate.

Many thanks again for your reply, it has given me a few pointers and I found it very helpful. Best wishes to you on your road to recovery.

J xx

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

Dear J

I am so sorry that the consultant wasn't very helpful. I can understand that you might be feeling like you don't know what to do.

Having read Sams reply - I think that it is reassuring to know you do have a choice chick- you can change meds if you like-maybe you will have the same experience as Sam and find that cutting down- a lower dose suits you better.

I can relate to to how you are feeling petal- After about 4/5 wks- i was feeling tentatively quite a bit better but now at about week 6/7 i seem to have fallen back again. Mainly because i am getting a lot of physical symptoms causing me awful hea;lth anxiety.

You know chick i noticed when you don't eat enough that can stop you sleeping. So try to have somethin even if it is small snacks i you can't face meals- also ave you ever trired hypnotherapy - you can buy and download things on i tunes - i felt self-conscious at first but if you just concentrate on wat they are saying- i find it distracts me from my negative thoughts- and i have actually fallen asleep listening to them-

please keep us updated, I am sending you love and hugs- remember you were feeling better and you will agin- this difficult time will pass.

love ccat xxx

Thank you so much for your kind reply, the people on this forum are so thoughtful. I am sorry to hear how you have been suffering, hope you will soon find some relief.

As I said in my post to Sam, the consultant is going to cut down my Sertraline to 150 mg and up the Mirtazapine, but I am really not that hopeful. On the other hand, I don't think I can feel much worse.

I have been in a terrible state again today, think I had built up my hopes about yesterdays appointment only to find it rather unhelpful. They always seem to be pressing me to go private, but I am reluctant because I have never bothered the NHS before, even when I had my daughter in hospital I came home the same day. On the other hand, it might be my only option.

Thank you for your tips, I will try those out. I am hoping to get a call today to see what else can be done to help me, but am not holding my breath.

Very best wishes and thanks.

J xx

carefree68
26-06-13, 21:32
Hi J,
You poor thin you really are in turmoil, I really feel for you but underneath all of that I still get the impression with what you have written you are desperate to feel well again and so you will... you really will. You must be so frustrated with the the unhelpful appt, but try and stay positive, cutting down your dose like Sam said might be the option, but messing around with your meds must have an effect on your body and your mind.
Do you have lots of support at home, it sounds like you do, which is great, and you will
always have support here. Please stay strong hun, you felt better once and you will again its just another adjustment.
I will be thinking of you take care of yourself you CAN do this. XXXX

Her Indoors
27-06-13, 09:58
Hi J,
You poor thin you really are in turmoil, I really feel for you but underneath all of that I still get the impression with what you have written you are desperate to feel well again and so you will... you really will. You must be so frustrated with the the unhelpful appt, but try and stay positive, cutting down your dose like Sam said might be the option, but messing around with your meds must have an effect on your body and your mind.
Do you have lots of support at home, it sounds like you do, which is great, and you will
always have support here. Please stay strong hun, you felt better once and you will again its just another adjustment.
I will be thinking of you take care of yourself you CAN do this. XXXX

Thank you again for taking the time to reply, I have woken up again feeling overwhelmed and panicky. I have taken my diazepam and am going to shower and dress. I need to go out to post some birthday cards and collect my prescription, but don't want to miss my call. I stupidly left the upstairs phone off the hook yesterday, so missed my call, my head is in such turmoil I can't concentrate properly and am getting very forgetful. Wish I could forget about the things that are troubling me though.

Things are getting in such a mess here, I am so paralysed with anxiety and depressed I can't motivate myself or see the point in anything anymore. It took me an hour to eat a piece of toast so that I could take my medication, I have no appetite whatsoever and am having terrible tummy problems.

I really need an effective medication to help ease the anxiety a little, but fear there is nothing that can do this for me. I am very frightened and low. This has been the worst six months of my life and the thought of another six months being like this is intolerable. Not sure how anyone can help me.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, especially as you have been unwell yourself. I feel so whiney and pathetic but I just can't stop my thoughts and nothing seems to distract me. I think I will ask for a medication change, but not sure anyone will authorise it.

Once again thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. Bless you.

J xx

Tufty
27-06-13, 11:57
Thank you again for taking the time to reply, I have woken up again feeling overwhelmed and panicky. I have taken my diazepam and am going to shower and dress. I need to go out to post some birthday cards and collect my prescription, but don't want to miss my call. I stupidly left the upstairs phone off the hook yesterday, so missed my call, my head is in such turmoil I can't concentrate properly and am getting very forgetful. Wish I could forget about the things that are troubling me though.

Things are getting in such a mess here, I am so paralysed with anxiety and depressed I can't motivate myself or see the point in anything anymore. It took me an hour to eat a piece of toast so that I could take my medication, I have no appetite whatsoever and am having terrible tummy problems.

I really need an effective medication to help ease the anxiety a little, but fear there is nothing that can do this for me. I am very frightened and low. This has been the worst six months of my life and the thought of another six months being like this is intolerable. Not sure how anyone can help me.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, especially as you have been unwell yourself. I feel so whiney and pathetic but I just can't stop my thoughts and nothing seems to distract me. I think I will ask for a medication change, but not sure anyone will authorise it.

Once again thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. Bless you.

J xx

Bless you J :bighug1:

I have felt like you are now, when you don't think you can cope any longer, you're fed up with it all and don't recognise yourself. But I have recovered, fully recovered and spent many years living a normal, happy life (I stopped medication and it sparked off this current episode) I felt hopeless and believed nothing would help me, I'd tried several antidepressants unsuccessfully before finding the right one.

There is always hope, no one stays like this forever, even if you took no medication your mood would change and the anxiety and depression would eventually lift. We take antidepressants to lessen the symptoms and reduce the amount and time of suffering but these emotional states would go by themselves so thinking that nothing will help is not true, if nothing else - time will heal you.

I'm feeling much like you at the moment, I have yet to have anything to eat or drink due to the nausea caused by anxiety, I haven't got dressed yet today as it seems too much effort and feel that things are falling apart around me BUT I have the knowledge that I will get better and it will all be OK again. It feels awful, undescribable the level of anxiety and feelings of general illness but it is temporary.

Please keep posting. You will get better - fully better and this will be a distant nightmare. Your posts show determination and strength, use these characteristics in a way to help yourself, rather than berating yourself. I know you don't know what to do for the best re medication and this is adding to your feeling of hopelessness and anxiety and this is a horrible position to be in. Let us know how you get on with the phone call today

Best wishes
Take care
Sam

Her Indoors
27-06-13, 13:50
p
Bless you J :bighug1:

I have felt like you are now, when you don't think you can cope any longer, you're fed up with it all and don't recognise yourself. But I have recovered, fully recovered and spent many years living a normal, happy life (I stopped medication and it sparked off this current episode) I felt hopeless and believed nothing would help me, I'd tried several antidepressants unsuccessfully before finding the right one.

There is always hope, no one stays like this forever, even if you took no medication your mood would change and the anxiety and depression would eventually lift. We take antidepressants to lessen the symptoms and reduce the amount and time of suffering but these emotional states would go by themselves so thinking that nothing will help is not true, if nothing else - time will heal you.

I'm feeling much like you at the moment, I have yet to have anything to eat or drink due to the nausea caused by anxiety, I haven't got dressed yet today as it seems too much effort and feel that things are falling apart around me BUT I have the knowledge that I will get better and it will all be OK again. It feels awful, undescribable the level of anxiety and feelings of general illness but it is temporary.

Please keep posting. You will get better - fully better and this will be a distant nightmare. Your posts show determination and strength, use these characteristics in a way to help yourself, rather than berating yourself. I know you don't know what to do for the best re medication and this is adding to your feeling of hopelessness and anxiety and this is a horrible position to be in. Let us know how you get on with the phone call today

Best wishes
Take care
Sam

Heartfelt thanks for your kind post and taking time to reply, especially as you are also suffering.

I am going to attempt my ironing mountain and watch "The White Queen" on catch up, hopefully King Edward (Jeremy

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 ----------

Dear Tufty,

Sorry about half finished post, all over the place at the moment, silly me.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and taking the trouble to reply, I really appreciate it.

Still waiting for my phone call.

What I was saying was that I was going to watch The White Queen? Think that's what it is called with that gorgeous Jeremy Irons' son? Quite like the guy who plays Warwick (he was Cromwell in The Tudors) and is a real baddie.

Take care yourself and let me know how you are (if you don't mind). Very best wishes.

J xxx

ruthless
27-06-13, 15:08
I have woken up again feeling overwhelmed and panicky. I have taken my diazepam and am going to shower and dress. I need to go out to post some birthday cards and collect my prescription, but don't want to miss my call. I stupidly left the upstairs phone off the hook yesterday, so missed my call, my head is in such turmoil I can't concentrate properly and am getting very forgetful. Wish I could forget about the things that are troubling me though.

Hi J

Don't lose hope. I felt exactly like you not so long ago. The anxiety and depression, the loss of appetite and the tummy problems. You could be writing about me.

I started Sertraline at the beginning of February this year, and my anxiety symptoms spiralled out of control. I ended up having 10 weeks off work. I felt hopeless and helpless, and felt that nothing would ever be the same again. Some days the effort of getting out of bed and showered and dressed would exhaust me, and I would just spend the rest of my days on this website reading about how other people felt, and looking up everything on the internet possible about anxiety, intrusive thoughts, medications etc. It was the only thing that interested me, and I think it kept me from cracking up completely.

Fast forward nearly 5 months and things are 100% better for the majority of the time. I have gone back to work and my home life and social life has returned to normal. I feel good mainly, and just get a few blips every now and then, but that is to be expected. We all have good and bad days even when we don't suffer from anxiety

Ccat
27-06-13, 21:48
Hi J

I hope you got your phonecall.

You are doing the right thing- try to take a day at a time chick.- no doubbt it may take a little time for the chance in tablets to help.
keep us posted - and pleaseknow there are people thinking of you who know how toughit is.

much love,

Ccat xxx:hugs:

Her Indoors
01-07-13, 17:02
Bless you all for your kind replies and messages, they really comfort me and give me hope.

I am still in a bad way, but I am going to receive some help from a "Recovery Team?" and have had my medication tweaked a bit, but am really not that hopeful, really would prefer something different, but guess I have to trust the experts on this. I have a prescription for diazepam and am reluctantly having to take it as I cannot function at the moment.

Hopefully with some support and my medication I can gradually recover. The intrusive thoughts and anxiety are very bad at the moment and mornings are unbearable for me, it is very hard to deal with.

My very best wishes to everyone, I hope we can all begin to feel better soon.
Many thanks.

J xxx

Ccat
02-07-13, 00:18
Good to hear from you J- :hugs:

don't feel bad about taking the diazepan- you just need something whilst things settle down.

I hope the recovery team help- Yes you can get better chick - I am certain of it- please keep posting and letting us folk know how you are getting on- and know i am thinking of you and wishing you all the best sweetheart xxx

Her Indoors
02-07-13, 10:39
Good to hear from you J- :hugs:

don't feel bad about taking the diazepan- you just need something whilst things settle down.

I hope the recovery team help- Yes you can get better chick - I am certain of it- please keep posting and letting us folk know how you are getting on- and know i am thinking of you and wishing you all the best sweetheart xxx

Thank you again. I am feeling very, very bad at the moment and not coping. I am so frightened and don't know who to turn to for help now. Not sure my medication is helping at all and am struggling to get through the day. Wish I could go to bed and not wake up. Feeling so hopeless and nobody can comfort me now. Don't want to get dressed and am struggling to eat and having really bad tummy problems, couldn't leave the house even if I wanted to. I really wish I could go to hospital to get some serious help. I am so worried about the effect all this is having on my family. The house is a mess, I am getting worse and nobody can help me. Constant whirring thoughts and unrelentless anxiety. In utter despair. Getting so thin and weak. I am so sorry to be so negative, I know many people are far worse than me.

Can anyone suggest an effective medication for anxiety/OCD/depression?

Think I am going to ask for ECT am so desperate.

So, so sorry for all of this. Could somebody help me please. Thank you so very much, the people on this forum are so kind.

ruthless
02-07-13, 12:14
Hi J

So sorry you are feeling so bad. What dosage Diazepam are you taking? A higher dose may help you for a short time, just to give you some relief now. I know when I felt really terrible Diazepam didn't help. I took Lorazepam which is stronger in smaller doses, and that relaxed me much more. I would try and get an emergency appt with your gp or whoever prescribes your meds and ask about Lorazepam, or at least upping the dose of your Diazepam. Don't feel guilty about it either. That's what these medications are there for, and you need help now. x

Kim51
02-07-13, 12:22
Hi i also use lorazepam as diazepam doesn't do anything for me the lorazepam works very effectively and has saved my sanity on some really awful days, it's worth asking about.
Kim:hugs:

Her Indoors
02-07-13, 13:09
Thank you so much Ruthless and Kim,

I am in a very difficult position as I can't go back to my GP as he has referred me on to the mental health team and can only prescribe what they authorise. I am in limbo very much at the moment waiting for help from them and an effective medication. They are reducing my Sertraline with a view (I think) to a change? Not really sure what is happening and too worn out to help myself much, my poor husband has been phoning trying to get me some help, but it all takes time and as I have been like this so long now, I am getting desperate which is making everything worse.

I am so worried about the effect this is having on my family, thank goodness my children are grown adults and one doesn't live at home anymore so doesn't have to see me like this.

I am still not dressed and can't muster the energy to get out of bed. Must get up and do the ironing as it is up to the ceiling. I used to be so houseproud, now I don't care at all.

I am afraid I will always be like this.

Many. many thanks, hope you are feeling much better.

Jxxx

ruthless
02-07-13, 15:00
Hi J

Could you contact the mental health team today to see about changing your Benzo's or upping the Diazepam if they are the ones who authorise your medication?

Ccat
02-07-13, 20:39
sorry you are still feeling bad J:hugs:

when are you due to see the team hun?

the medication Ruthless and Kim have mentioned sounds good- maybe ask them i f you could try it ?xxx

Hana74
02-07-13, 20:49
Hi J,

I was put on Effexor after being diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety, 150mg and some sleeping tablets to knock me out at night. For the first three days I noticed very little change, but after that the improvement was amazing. It did take me about 6 weeks to start to want to live again really, but I no longer wanted to die. Are you managing to eat and sleep at all ?

Take care, and dont worry about housework, try to remember ( I know it is really really hard now) that people around you love you and let them help.

Hana

Her Indoors
03-07-13, 10:50
Thank you all for your replies, things are just getting worse for me and I am in bed again, shaking with fear and terrified. I am sleeping because I am so exhausted all the time, but really struggling to eat and nothing stays in my system as I am so anxious. I am still losing weight and very, very frightened now.

I should be getting a call today, but am waiting to see what they propose to do for me. I am exhausted, terrified and feel totally hopeless. Every minute seems like an eternity. I want to get better but I can't. I can't see an end to all this, and no-one can comfort me, not my husband or my parents, lord knows what this is doing to them, I am so afraid what the worry will do to them, they have been marvellous. My friend has been brilliant and should be coming in today to see me. I really feel as though I should be in hospital, but feel guilty about taking up a bed, I don't think they would admit me anyway, even though I wish I had the courage to end it all. I wouldn't because I love my children (grown up), husband, mum and dad, family and friends too much, but I can't go on like this either.

Many, many thanks for all your caring replies, wish I could thank you all individually, but in such a state can't concentrate properly. Bless you all, the people on this site are so kind and thoughtful. My heartfelt thanks. Hope you all are recovering and getting all the help you need.

Kindest regards.

J xxx

ruthless
03-07-13, 11:05
Do you feel you could call the mental health team yourself today rather than wait for them to call you? Ask for some short term help to deal with this relentless anxiety.

I am thinking of you and really want you to get some relief very very soon.

R
xxxx

Tufty
03-07-13, 11:31
Are you taking the Diazepam regularly J? You need to be taking at least 6mg a day whilst you are having this crisis, do not suffer more than necessary, take anything that will help with the overwhelming panic. Have you got any Propanolol or another beta blocker - if prescribed they are safe to take with Diazepam.

This awful crisis you are experiencing is just that, a crisis, it will not last long. I know every moment seems like torture but you can and will survive and come out the other side, shake yourself down and recover.

Constant high anxiety is exhausting and terrifying, try to eat something every couple of hours - just a ginger biscuit or a dry bit of toast, drink as much water as you can tolerate - it will help flush out any toxins from the medication and brains need water to function properly, stay in bed if that is what you feel like doing, sod the ironing but try to get up wash your face, brush your teeth and get dressed before returning to bed. Try to distract yourself if possible, play some games on here, talk to people, do some slow deep breathing. Please remember you are not going mad, it is incredibly hard but you will overcome this and return to your normal self.

I was admitted, voluntarily, to a psych ward 10 years ago with anxiety, I imagine you are feeling like I was then, unable to cope and terrified. The experience was not a good one, although it taught me that I am stronger than I believe, they would not sedate me as I was not psychotic. I think it is harder to be admitted now due to the shortage in beds, please see this as a positive not a negative because with the right medication you can get through this at home. Lorazepam would help, I have only taken it once - whilst in hospital, and it did relax me so I hope your doctor agrees to this.

PM me at any time if you need some support, I can't bear to think of you feeling so awful

Love and hugs
Sam

Her Indoors
03-07-13, 13:20
Thank you so much Ruthless and Tufty,

I am hoping I will be able to speak to a therapist soon, really need help badly as my life is intolerable, I have just stopped functioning. I want my husband with me, but somebody has to work.

Not sure how anyone will be able to help me though, feel so terrible. I feel like I am trapped in a nightmare and my thoughts won't stop. Please, please reassure me that there is a medication for OCD/chronic anxiety that will be effective. I can't take much more.

I am really so sorry if anyone reads this and it makes them feel worse, that would never be my intention. I just need help.

Please can someone advise me about possible meds that can be taken in the longer term to help me. I am taking Sertraline and Mirtazapine, they are reducing the Sertraline with a view to a change, I believe. Thank you, bless you all. I have been taking the Sertraline for about 4 months now, and the Mirtazapine for much longer, although not at the 45 mg.

J xx

Tufty
03-07-13, 21:20
J there are lots of different meds you can try which work for anxiety and OCD. I've been through the mill with a lot of them including Mirtazapine and Sertraline which unfortunately didn't suit me. The best one for me has been Prozac. How are you compared to when you are no medication? And are you taking the Diazepam to get you through these hard days?

I have taken medication that has made me worse in the past and have improved when stopping taken them, however I still need something to help me cope with the day to day anxiety. I like to have all the information about my treatment and research the medication I am taking before starting it, I believe we are responsible for our own health and need to make informed decisions about what's best for us. Doctors prescribe the drugs and have some expertise in prescribing but if you see 5 different doctors tomorrow, they may prescribe you 5 different drugs. There is no absolute right and wrong, only guidelines and we're all different and no one knows what will work for you.

You will find a drug that works for you, hang on in there. I would advice you, or your husband if you don't feel up to it, to do some research into anti anxiety meds. Most doctors are happy to listen to their patients ideas and preferences, and if you believe something will work for you it is much more likely to. If you are not happy with the mix of medication you are currently on, challenge the doctor - tell him you are worse and are not coping. 4 months on medication is long enough and it should be working. Devise a plan with your doctor of how/when to come of the meds and remember that you are in charge - you have the power, it is your health, your body.

Keep going and believe in yourself, as I know you will recover, you've just got to stick out this for now x
Love
Sam

Did you hear from the therapist?

Ccat
04-07-13, 00:53
J- my heart goes out to you. This is very simillar to how i was feeling about 6 weeks or so ago. Tufty is right- you will find the right balance of medication.

I agree that you just have to focus on little things - when i wasn't able to eat much i would have a banana- or maybes a milky drink, yogurt, anything is better than nothing hun.

Do you like crosswords? I know it is hard to concentrate on things but just anything- reading a magazine, watching a film, or listening to the radio, i like those audible books- it slike listening to a story- distracts you from your thoughts a bit- just an idea that helped me a bit chick.

you will look back on this time when it has passed and you are feeling bettter- I promise hunny- sending you love and best wishes, you are in my prayers-

CCat ::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Her Indoors
05-07-13, 10:22
Thank you so much Tufty and Ccat,

I have been contacted by a nurse from the mental health team and they are sorting out some help for me and reducing down my medication with a view to a change to something more suitable for anxiety.

I have been advised to go to see my GP today due to my terrible tummy problems and weight loss, just to rule out anything other than just anxiety problems. I really believe it is purely down to anxiety, but the consultant wants me to get checked out anyway, I am a bit reluctant, but am getting very weak as nothing stays in my system for more than a couple of hours (too much information) and feel so exhausted all the time even though I do practically nothing all day.

Bless you for your thoughtful posts and helpful tips, you are all so kind and supportive even though you too are suffering. If I get better, I would like to help and support people, or maybe do some voluntary work of some kind if I can get my confidence back.

I have been doing puzzles and have even taught myself how to do cryptic crosswords, and although I still find them very difficult I am improving and can usually manage to do at least half of the answers. Eating is still proving very difficult for me, I simply do not feel hungry and I hate cooking now, something which I used to really enjoy before. The house is getting very messy now and the ironing is up to the ceiling. I am going to have a bath and then try to do at least an hour of it.

Bless you and kind regards.

J xx

Lawton86
05-07-13, 10:36
Hi,

sorry to hear what your going through.....when I started reading this thread it was kinda like a jeckel and hyde story. You seemed so positive, and then sooo down.

All I can really say is, like someone said above, take the diazepam. Read up on it.......I was really bad 4 weeks ago and doctor gave me 5mg X3 a day and it really worked, I didn't think it would but it did! its not for long term.......so I have not took it now for about 1 and half weeks. but it just helps knowing its their. Some people take vallium for years.....which is ok if you don't build up a quick tolerance, but coming off it after a long time is meant to be the worst withdrawel ever! I don't know what size tablets you have? and your tolerance but I really don't think if their 2mg and you take 1 it will do anything. I would take at least 5mg and then maybe another 5mg a few hours later. Their is people out their who take 120mg of this stuff a day and its prescribed, so don't worry about its effects because in the big scheme of things, its a small dose.

Also taking your mind off it is the only other thing I can suggest. I know how hard it is......6 weeks ago I was laying in bed, trembling, didn't eat for 3 days, didn't want my g.f to leave my side. Then my dad came through on the 3rd day after my g.f told him how I was. He used tough love, talked , played quiz games, then made me get up and walk about......I was soooo scrared I was gunna pass out. By the end of the night I was getting up and walking to the fridge and getting a drink. Was not cured by any means but what I worried about most didn't happen.

ever since then (touch wood) I haven't stayed in bed past 10am, try and force myself to eat breakfast, have a shower and get dressed, then do whatever.

Maybe you should look back to page 1 on this thread and see how happy you can be.....it is very very possible. :)

If all else fails, I clear winner for me to numb the brain and relax is alcohol *waits for rotten fruit to be thrown at him* .......but its true alcohol as actually helped me..... 2 glasses of wine or a few beers and I have confidence in saying f**k you anxiety im doing this with or without ya! Aslong as you don't wake up and hit the bottle then again its worth a try??? Just think about the next day tho, so don't get too tipsy or you may feel worse next day. but to enjoy a movie or to feel positive enough to get up and make your husband tea when he gets in, 2 glasses of wine wont hurt ya!

Lawton

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

also I found alcohol/ diazepam to make me generally hungry as it seemed to settle the nerves in my stomach.

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

p.s don't mix alcohol and diazepam tho......one or other :)

Tufty
05-07-13, 12:00
Good to hear you're feeling more confident today J, take baby steps - get up and have a bath and then set yourself a time limit of how long you will do housework, no more than 30 minutes at a time. You will tire easily and could feel worse, set yourself small chores and targets to do and be proud of yourself for doing them but do not exhaust yourself.

Alcohol is an interesting remedy Lawton. I wonder how different alcohol and diazepam are and their effects on our brain. Both cause relaxation, depression, addiction and so many people use alcohol for anxiety without realising that they are self medicating. Whilst we who have more extreme anxiety and panic attacks are often so scared of alcohol yet will take Diazepam.

When I am well I drink alcohol occasionally but a good night out is often fuelled by a few glasses and I feel great, relaxed and happy. I wonder if a few glasses when I'm highly anxious would be better for me than Diazepam but the stigma of drinking in the day stops me :shrug: Years ago people used to have a drink to settle their nerves but now we seem to think we have to cope with everything life throws at us.

Sam

Her Indoors
05-07-13, 12:01
Hi,

sorry to hear what your going through.....when I started reading this thread it was kinda like a jeckel and hyde story. You seemed so positive, and then sooo down.

All I can really say is, like someone said above, take the diazepam. Read up on it.......I was really bad 4 weeks ago and doctor gave me 5mg X3 a day and it really worked, I didn't think it would but it did! its not for long term.......so I have not took it now for about 1 and half weeks. but it just helps knowing its their. Some people take vallium for years.....which is ok if you don't build up a quick tolerance, but coming off it after a long time is meant to be the worst withdrawel ever! I don't know what size tablets you have? and your tolerance but I really don't think if their 2mg and you take 1 it will do anything. I would take at least 5mg and then maybe another 5mg a few hours later. Their is people out their who take 120mg of this stuff a day and its prescribed, so don't worry about its effects because in the big scheme of things, its a small dose.

Also taking your mind off it is the only other thing I can suggest. I know how hard it is......6 weeks ago I was laying in bed, trembling, didn't eat for 3 days, didn't want my g.f to leave my side. Then my dad came through on the 3rd day after my g.f told him how I was. He used tough love, talked , played quiz games, then made me get up and walk about......I was soooo scrared I was gunna pass out. By the end of the night I was getting up and walking to the fridge and getting a drink. Was not cured by any means but what I worried about most didn't happen.

ever since then (touch wood) I haven't stayed in bed past 10am, try and force myself to eat breakfast, have a shower and get dressed, then do whatever.

Maybe you should look back to page 1 on this thread and see how happy you can be.....it is very very possible. :)

If all else fails, I clear winner for me to numb the brain and relax is alcohol *waits for rotten fruit to be thrown at him* .......but its true alcohol as actually helped me..... 2 glasses of wine or a few beers and I have confidence in saying f**k you anxiety im doing this with or without ya! Aslong as you don't wake up and hit the bottle then again its worth a try??? Just think about the next day tho, so don't get too tipsy or you may feel worse next day. but to enjoy a movie or to feel positive enough to get up and make your husband tea when he gets in, 2 glasses of wine wont hurt ya!

Lawton

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

also I found alcohol/ diazepam to make me generally hungry as it seemed to settle the nerves in my stomach.

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

p.s don't mix alcohol and diazepam tho......one or other :)

Hi Lawton,

Your post actually made me SMILE, haven't done that in a long time! The bit about throwing rotten fruit, I would never do that. Not much of a drinker myself, but quite understand why people drink to blot things out, as I said, not going to judge anyone anymore about anything, so in some ways being like this has made me a better person, I hope.

I have been prescribed 2mg diazepam which I can take 2 tablets, up to three times a day, doesn't really help much, but takes the edge off, especially in the morning when I am at my worst. Try really hard to only take it in the morning if possible.

Glad to hear you are feeling a little better, gives me hope when I hear how people are improving, and glad to hear you have support from your girlfriend and your dad. My family have been very good too, really feel for anyone going through this on their own.

Thanks for your kind post, really appreciate it. Bless you.

J xx

Lawton86
05-07-13, 12:13
hi tufty,

alcohol and diazepam work on the same GABA receptor, therefore giving roughly the same effects.....But....

what I have found is, alcohol also stimulates you aswell abit, giving a confidence boost, aswell as it slowing your mind and thoughts. Like you say they both are addictive and both have the ability to be fatal on withdrawel if serious abuse occurs for a long period of time, but if you have the control to not over-do it or to know when your tolerance is ringing alarm bells I cant see a big problem. Theirs millions of people out their taking Xanax, klonopin, diazepam a day for years and diazepam is the weakest of them all.

Yesterday for instance, I felt really on edge, my g.f finished work and came home, I wanted to go out but had the usual feelings. Anyway gopt to the pub and mind was racing, felt nervous, de-realized and very on edge. After 1 pint we ended up meeting with my parents and having a game of pool and 2 more pints. I felt relaxed, 85% better and just had 3 pints over about a 3 hour space.

I find if ya can, alcohol also gives you that ability to be in a social situation pub/party/friends house, where as diazepam kinda makes me want to stay in and be abit zombie like.....

I have been suffering on and off with anxiety for 5 years, but when it comes it REALLY comes. And I cant tell you the amount of times alcohol has got me through a situation (in a actual enjoyable way) that I didn't want to be in. If I am tipsy or drunk I often I feel like 'why cant I be always like this, I feel like I would skydive, go out, get a plane, see the world. Then I wake up with a hangover and shakey self that doesn't want to go anywhere......catch 22 really :/

Ccat
05-07-13, 13:05
Hi J

That is good that you are doing some puzzles etc- i agree with tufty- by all means do a bit of housework- but i would do it in sort burts then rest- you will tire easily- specially as you are not able to eat much hun.

this is just a thought- but could you fancy anything that you used to have as a child when you were poorly hun? I always find chicken soup comforting as i always had that- or cheesy mashed potato- ? it is kind of comforting and "easy" to eat cmpared to a proper meal if you know what i mean?

please keep us updated as to how you are getting on. it is such a struggle- i was feeling somewhat better but feel very down today- have had some shakiness in my hands- and it gets me worried- and have to go for a nerve test on monday and i am very nervous about that (in the back of my mind i always worry its something sinister)

anyway hun, love and hugs to you, ccat xxx:hugs:

Her Indoors
05-07-13, 17:14
Hi J

That is good that you are doing some puzzles etc- i agree with tufty- by all means do a bit of housework- but i would do it in sort burts then rest- you will tire easily- specially as you are not able to eat much hun.

this is just a thought- but could you fancy anything that you used to have as a child when you were poorly hun? I always find chicken soup comforting as i always had that- or cheesy mashed potato- ? it is kind of comforting and "easy" to eat cmpared to a proper meal if you know what i mean?

please keep us updated as to how you are getting on. it is such a struggle- i was feeling somewhat better but feel very down today- have had some shakiness in my hands- and it gets me worried- and have to go for a nerve test on monday and i am very nervous about that (in the back of my mind i always worry its something sinister)

anyway hun, love and hugs to you, ccat xxx:hugs:

Hello there Ccat,

Managed a big pile of ironing whilst watching "The White Queen" on catch-up, and went to my GP appointment about my tummy trouble and weight loss. I have been given some tablets to settle my stomach, and have to go back for some blood tests next week. I did tell him I didn't think it was due to anything but my terrible anxiety, but he examined my tummy just to be sure. I really like my GP he never hurries you out like some doctors, hope he never leaves the practice.

I think I will give the cheesy mash a go, I used to love that when I was well, it would be easy to eat and if I put butter and lots of cheese in it, it would have lots of calories, thanks for that tip.

Having shakey hands is horrible, hope that improves for you and the very best of luck with your nerve test on Monday, let me know how it goes, I will think of you and be wishing you well.

My very best wishes and thanks.

J xx:bighug1:

Ccat
05-07-13, 19:14
Ah thanks chick-x

you have done well today- I am glad your dr sounds like a good one-

hope the tablets settle your tummy and you enjoy the cheesy mash

xxx:hugs:

Ccat

Her Indoors
08-07-13, 15:43
Hello Ccat,

How did your appointment go? Hope it wasn't too stressful for you and all is well.

A little better today, but not much, eating a little bit more too.

Been thinking of you today, and wish you well.

J xxx

Ccat
08-07-13, 16:56
Ah- I have just answered on other thread- glad you are a little bit better hun- and eating it a bit more- just gradual improvement is good-:bighug1: just take it steady one day at a time xxx

Her Indoors
09-07-13, 17:22
Hi All,

A much better day today, not so panicky on waking which was great and had visitors. Tummy settling and managed some beans on toast with cheese at lunchtime and a banana.

Feeling much calmer and whirring thoughts are easing. I feel much more like doing things and am about to vacuum the house (it really needs it).

Think I am going to stick with the Sertraline/Mirtazapine combo, really can't face a change in medication and am tentatively feeling an improvement, fingers crossed!

Many thanks for all your kind comments and helpful tips, they have really helped me.

Bless you.

J xx:hugs:

Ccat
10-07-13, 01:09
that is good news J- i am so pleased for you. you are doing so well:hugs:

i have had a bad day today-had an alarming thing happen yesterday (won't go into it-TMI- but panicked - thought i had bowel cancer) went to drs - nothing seriousbut have stayed panicked!

I am quite pre-menstrual atm- so i guess that doesn't help- and heat seems to be making me feel worse. Felt jittery all day- i had been worrying bout that test all weekend - but its like when somethings over i still don't stop worrying?

thing is i had a bad few days before and dr wanted to increase dose and i realy dont want to ifpossible.

anyway, sorry to witter on, love and hugs to you CCat x

Her Indoors
10-07-13, 09:36
that is good news J- i am so pleased for you. you are doing so well:hugs:

i have had a bad day today-had an alarming thing happen yesterday (won't go into it-TMI- but panicked - thought i had bowel cancer) went to drs - nothing seriousbut have stayed panicked!

I am quite pre-menstrual atm- so i guess that doesn't help- and heat seems to be making me feel worse. Felt jittery all day- i had been worrying bout that test all weekend - but its like when somethings over i still don't stop worrying?

thing is i had a bad few days before and dr wanted to increase dose and i realy dont want to ifpossible.

anyway, sorry to witter on, love and hugs to you CCat x

Hello there Ccat,

Really sorry to hear you had a bad day and a health scare, hope all ok now in that department. I know what you mean about still worrying after an issue has been resolved, I am exactly like that, it takes me a long time to settle after a bad panic, that horrible uneasy jittery feeling is so debilitating.

I had a good day yesterday, but awoke again today with the same panicky, dread feelings and had a take my diazepam to stop that horrible vicious circle of panic which escalates if I don't nip it in the bud. I get so despondent that I will be like this forever and then I get really depressed and the cycle goes on.

Maybe you could have another talk to your doctor about an increase in your meds to reassure you? It is so difficult knowing what to do for the best, I guess we just have to trust the professionals on this, but it is so difficult finding the right balance of tablets.

Yesterday, I thought perhaps I should stay on the Sertraline, but now I am not sure what to do, or if a change would be better. I am so up and down at the moment (but mostly down, unfortunately), and when I get a good day it seems almost worse when it's bad again.

Anyhow, hope you have a better day today, and begin to settle down again. Take care, and thank you for replying to my posts and your kind thoughts and helpful tips.

Kind regards.

Her Indoors
12-07-13, 09:53
Hi All,

Awoke with horrible panic and anxiety again, feel so desperate and down, really can't see how I am ever going to get better. Still waiting for some help with regard to my anxiety. Very frightened again.

Hoping for a change of medication to help get this sorted. Everything is such a mess and no-one can comfort me.

What are the best anti-anxiety meds for long term use. Getting desperate.
Many thanks.

Ccat
12-07-13, 16:41
Hi J Sorry you are not so good- also sorry not to reply sooner. I have had a very bad few days and had to go back to drs yesterday - she has increased me from 50-100

In a way I wasnt keen- but I feel desperate to feel better. My sleep has been terrible- if i do get to sleep i can only manage an hour then i wake up in the night and feel very bad .

I wonder if the heat isn't helping- when i get hot i think it makes me feel worse - kind of trapped - I don't know

I am thinking of you - thank you for replying- I really hope things improve for us both- I am so disappointed as was feeling quite a bit better- like you then its as if worrying aout that test and the scare of that problem has set me off panicking agin- and i can't stop. Have you ever tried that Cognitive behaviour techniques- i haven't yet but quite a few people seem to hae found them helpful- I think as well as the tablets we need to know what to do when we have panics?

sending you much love and hugs , CCat xxx

Her Indoors
12-07-13, 18:18
Hi J Sorry you are not so good- also sorry not to reply sooner. I have had a very bad few days and had to go back to drs yesterday - she has increased me from 50-100

In a way I wasnt keen- but I feel desperate to feel better. My sleep has been terrible- if i do get to sleep i can only manage an hour then i wake up in the night and feel very bad .

I wonder if the heat isn't helping- when i get hot i think it makes me feel worse - kind of trapped - I don't know

I am thinking of you - thank you for replying- I really hope things improve for us both- I am so disappointed as was feeling quite a bit better- like you then its as if worrying aout that test and the scare of that problem has set me off panicking agin- and i can't stop. Have you ever tried that Cognitive behaviour techniques- i haven't yet but quite a few people seem to hae found them helpful- I think as well as the tablets we need to know what to do when we have panics?

sending you much love and hugs , CCat xxx

Hi there Ccat,

Really sorry to hear you have had a horrible few days and aren't sleeping either, that is really tough to cope with. I was wondering if your GP would give you something to help you in the meantime, till the Sertraline kicks in. I was given 5 mg diazapam to help me sleep, but now find I don't need it at all, at least the Sertraline seems to help with that. I find it strange that I can relax in the evenings and sleep, when I get so panicky in the mornings and afternoons? Hopefully things should start to improve for you soon too.

Hope all went well at your hospital appointment and that you will soon settle a little. It is horrible when you get a really bad panic and it takes a long time to settle down afterwards, and it is very tiring, doubly so as you aren't sleeping anyway.

I am getting a visit from the mental health people next week, hopefully to help me to get my anxiety under control a little, as I am barely functioning. Feeling a little better today, but have resorted to taking my diazapam as I was really not coping. I am always really reluctant to take it, but I just have to accept that if it helps me, then I have to take it and I only take it as prescribed.

Hope you have a better sleep tonight, you must be exhausted. Take care and hope you have a good weekend. Let me know how you go on.

Kind regards.

J xxx:bighug1:

Ccat
12-07-13, 22:51
Hi again J

Oh I'm glad you are seeing the team next week- that is good news . Yes- don't feel guilty about the daizepam - its just to tide you over. dr never suggested that this time (she did when i first started it-)

Yes- it is strange as the sert definately had bee helping me sleep. I get very bad pms- which i ahve at the moment- maybe that, the heat, the anxiety about test etc all combined - idon't know really.

Yeah- I am really tired. It is odd how you can feel so much wose at certain times- I usually feel very bad when i wake- whether thats in the night or in the morning or both , or when i'm just feeling tooo aggitated to distract myself with anything, I caneven be doing something nice or talikng to someone yet still ahve horrid thoughts going on- am so sick of it.

love to you too- let me know how you are doing too:hugs: Cct

Her Indoors
14-07-13, 08:53
Hi there Ccat,

Sorry you are suffering with the heat, it really doesn't help with the panicky feelings does it? Hope you have managed to sleep a little better, being anxious and it being so hot is very tiring anyway.

I had a pretty bad day yesterday, woke up to the usual terrible panic and anxiety, cried loads in the morning and had to wear my sunglasses all day as my eyes were so puffy and red. My lovely husband took me to out for a little drive and a walk, but I just went through the motions and then we had to go and get the groceries, I was exhausted by the evening after doing very little. He even cooked me something to eat as I just don't want to do anything at the moment. It must be so hard for my husband, he is so strong and keeps telling me I will get better, but I don't seem to be, and I am getting more depressed and despondent, the obsessive thoughts just don't stop. The only thing I look forward to is going to bed and sleeping to escape it all, it's no life. My parents have been great too, but they are elderly and I worry about the effect all this is having on them and their health. I desperately want to get better, but I can't.

Today will be difficult as we have a visit to make and I will have to try and be "normal". I will take my tablets with me in my bag, incase I need them and feel panicky when I am out.

Hope your weekend is going ok and take care, chatting on here really helps me, everyone is so understanding and supportive.

Kind regards,

Ccat
14-07-13, 14:39
Hiya J

Sorry you had a bad day yesterday hun- I so know what you mean about "going through the motions" - I make myself have a bath or eat something or whatever- and i can see my family thinking i'ma bit better- but inside i stilll feel rotten.

I know what you mean about your husband too- mine is very supportive- but i worry he is loosing patience with me- Likewise- my parents are lovely but its not good for them either.

I hope your visit goes ok- its such an extra affort to see anyone isn't it?

let me know how you got on- it does help speaking to you - thank you

much love, Ccat xxx:bighug1:

carefree68
14-07-13, 23:30
Hi ladies, Im sorry you are both having a rough time. Ccat, I just wanted you let you know I had some group CBT last year and found it to be very helpful. They gave me some good techniques, relaxation cd's tips and advice. You have nothing to lose and possibly alot to gain. I hope you both find some relief soon, but I agree the hot weather does not help, although it does lift my mood a little.

Her Indoors
15-07-13, 08:25
Hi ladies, Im sorry you are both having a rough time. Ccat, I just wanted you let you know I had some group CBT last year and found it to be very helpful. They gave me some good techniques, relaxation cd's tips and advice. You have nothing to lose and possibly alot to gain. I hope you both find some relief soon, but I agree the hot weather does not help, although it does lift my mood a little.

Hi there carefree,

Glad to hear you found the CBT helpful. I am hoping I may be able to see a therapist soon for some more intensive help. The heat has been getting to me, but I agree the lovely days do help a little. Take care, hope you are feeling better. Many thanks for your kind replies.

J xx

---------- Post added at 08:25 ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 ----------

Hiya J

Sorry you had a bad day yesterday hun- I so know what you mean about "going through the motions" - I make myself have a bath or eat something or whatever- and i can see my family thinking i'ma bit better- but inside i stilll feel rotten.

I know what you mean about your husband too- mine is very supportive- but i worry he is loosing patience with me- Likewise- my parents are lovely but its not good for them either.

I hope your visit goes ok- its such an extra affort to see anyone isn't it?

let me know how you got on- it does help speaking to you - thank you

much love, Ccat xxx:bighug1:

Hello there Ccat,

I always look forward to your posts and they really help me, I very much appreciate chatting to you on here and it helps to distract me, so bless you for that.

Hope your weekend was ok, and that you managed to sleep a little better despite the heat. Hope you are managing to eat, I am still really struggling, again, I think the heat isn't helping that either. I am going to get some of those build-up type shake drinks to have with full fat milk, I could really do with the calories. When I went to my GP visit last week, he asked me about my weight and my height. I had a crafty look at the computer screen and I could see he had worked out my BMI which was only 16 which is very low, hopefully when I get my appetite back I can put on some weight as I look dreadful, being too thin is very aging on me. What I look like at the moment is the least of my worries though.

My visit went ok, and I felt a bit better in the evening and didn't need my tablets.

Woke up again at 6.30 this morning when my husband left for work to my usual panic attack and took my diazapam straight away. I am having a cup of tea and some toast and have just taken my Sertraline and will whizz in the shower before the calming effects of the diazapam wear off. I had a really bad panic attack in the shower and dread having them now, it's become such an ordeal for me.

Having a visit from the mental health people on Wednesday, really hoping something can be done to help me, as I am getting very desperate now. Fighting the urge to stay in bed as I feel so dreadful and feel very tearful again, I really need some serious help now, getting very low.

You take care, sorry for the depressing post and many thanks. Hope you are feeling a little better.

Kind regards.

Ccat
15-07-13, 11:52
Morning J

Oh- I think in the morning is the most difficult time hunny. You have done well- to make yourself get up and have something and take a shower.and you did well with your visit.

Not long now til Wednesday- please don't give up hope you felt better before and there is no reason why you won't again.

I have been able to get some sleep- I agree the weather affects appetite - do you like ice-cream ?- To be honest J I have always been a bit overweight so when i loose weight people say i look better (It upsets me cos I feel so low- and they say "at least you've lost some weight!)
But- those energy drinks sound like a good idea for you sweetheart .milky things are good - remember i said think of thins you liked when you were poorly as a child (Mind you - its a bit hot for cheesy potato perhaps!)

thining of you - hope you feel a bit better as the day goes on,

CCat xxx

Her Indoors
15-07-13, 12:15
Morning Ccat,

Going to try to do some housework today, my house is looking a right tip, will need a visit from Kim and Aggie if it gets any worse!

Bought some sugar puffed cereal (not sure if we are allowed to mention brands on here!) because of the calories, haven't had that since I was a child (la la years ago) will try and have a bowl later.

People can be a bit insensitive when it comes to mentioning weight can't they? I would never make a comment to anyone about their weight as I wouldn't dream of hurting their feelings or think it was an acceptable thing to do, but people often comment to me about how thin I am. I was once in a bar with some friends and reached down to get my bag, and this chap said "careful skinny mind you don't snap" or words to that effect. I would have liked to have said something witty and cutting back, but as usual couldn't think of anything at the time. Blooming cheek! There I was minding my own business, how rude!
Actually, now I have thought about it, I should have said how good it was that the "circus had let me out for the evening!"

Anyhow, hope you are feeling a bit better, I am calming a bit but have taken my morning diazepam.

Take care, I love hearing from you. All the best.

Ccat
15-07-13, 14:34
Ah- that made me laugh about Kim and Aggie! Yes , it doesn't take long for it to build up. It is good if you can do a bit.

Oh- cereal is a good idea- Yes have a bowl later.

People can be so rude- everyone is different and it should be good that we aren't all the same shapes and sizes- but like you- i would only ever say something nice to someone-

ha- yes its true you always think of something you could
have said later.

I think i should go and try and do a bit of housework too.

love Ccat :hugs:

Ccat
16-07-13, 20:17
Hiya J

How are you today- just to wish you good luck for tomorrow- please let us know how you get on.

Love Ccat xxx

Her Indoors
17-07-13, 09:29
Hiya J

How are you today- just to wish you good luck for tomorrow- please let us know how you get on.

Love Ccat xxx

Hello there Ccat,

Very anxious about today and having a massive panic. Have taken my medication and trying to calm down before my visit. Touched you remembered it was today, bless you. My husband is here and has a few days off, I want him to sit in on the visit as I think sometimes I put on a bit of an act and don't really tell them how bad I feel virtually all the time, it is so hard at the moment, I have already cried this morning, I'm very frightened, but more frightened no-one will be able to help me get this under control.

Hope you are settling after your hospital visit and have been managing to sleep better in this heat. Hope the pins and needles have settled for you and side effects are more manageable.

I had a dream last night that I was on a beach and there was a massive wave coming towards us. I was screaming to people to run and get to higher ground or buildings, there were children and I was trying to get them to safety, my daughter was there but she was a child again and I was running and carrying her, we managed to run up a large ramp before the waves came. I often dream about being cut off by the sea, I think it must be to do with my anxiety, must look it up to get an interpretation, think I know really it is anxiety related. I dream much more now, I am sure it is the medication.

Take care, kind regards.

J xxx:weep:

Ccat
17-07-13, 12:02
Hi J

Oh- you are bound to feel nervous chick- only natural- glad your husband is there for some moral support . Yes- be honest with them.

- I am sorry you have had bad dreams - i have noticed i have more dreams and they are more vivid - which is ok if they are nice dreams but make them more scary if not- i believe it is a recognised side effect.

I did have a look at the leaflet- thank you for checking it for me. I am still getting a lot of pins and needles, especially in feet- but feel a bit reassured that it is a known side-effect.

thinking of you- hope it goes well- all the best CCat x:hugs:

Her Indoors
17-07-13, 15:05
Hi Ccat,

Had my visit and it went well and wasn't scary. I am going to be getting help from the Recovery Team and some weekly visits with the same lady which will be helpful as I get very stressed having to see different people all the time.

They are going to review my medication with a view to a change to something more suited to OCD/intrusive thoughts which is really the cause of my anxiety. That said I am better than I was and the Sertraline is definitely helping me to sleep and I am usually feeling better in the evenings now. I hope I am doing the right thing in changing, as I am a little better, but it's the dreadful panic attacks that I have when I wake up EVERY morning that are so debilitating and cause me so much distress. It's like it's become this terrible habit and it is relentless, and I really don't want to have to take diazepam every morning just to get me started. Think the reduction from 200 mg to 150 mg and the 45 mg Mirtazapine has helped me? I was very jittery on 200 mg, especially as I am very thin. Still really struggling with food, but my tummy troubles have settled down.

The medication which I think they are going to switch me to is called Clomipramine, just looked up the spelling on this site. I am not going to read anything up about it, or it will just make my anxiety worse. Think they will be tapering me down over a few months and then start this. Really hope I am doing the right thing and am wondering if I should give the Sertraline a bit longer, as I have read that it can take upwards of six months to be effective, that said I have been taking it for over four months.

Hope your pins and needles settles down for you. How have you been finding the Sertraline for your anxiety? I think it is a good medication but just takes a long time to work.

All the best, and thanks for your posts.

Kind regards,

J xxxx

Ccat
17-07-13, 17:04
Hi J

Well- it sounded like it went well. i'm glad you'e seeing the same person each week- that is good- you can get to know them and they can get to know you properly too.

I think try what they're saying hun- if you are cutting down gradually- you can see how you go. And if youre seeing them every week then you can check with them if you're worried about it.

Well done- it must have been a hard day for you- hope you can rest a bit now,

loce CCat x

carefree68
18-07-13, 22:04
Hi J how you feeling today?
x

Ccat
19-07-13, 14:40
Hiya J

Like Carefree- just wondering how you are getting on? I am finding this heat a bit wearing and oppressive.

Ccat xxx

Kirk
20-07-13, 04:55
Very new to this but, I have been prescriibed Lustral (Sertraline) for an ongoing depression.

I take a number of meds for heart problems, a physical disability and gastro related issues so when something new is prescribed, something I have, up to now, voraciously avoided, I check it out with the aid of the internet. Hence how I happened along here.

Anyway, I am astoundingly alarmed at the many side effects a LOT of people endure, many of those effects I have suffered without taking meds to help them along, such as migraines, stomach problems, vision issues so to deliberately ingest a menu of such things is, for me at least, intolerable.
But, my depression, tho' it does come and go, has, of late, reached heights, or rather depths, difficult to cope with with many avenues.

One of the effects I read about included enhancing thoughts of suicide. Having been there a couple of times, I'm not sure I should really be taking this medicine.

What I'm looking for here, is opinions on how any of you are affected given the variation of effects that, as we are all aware, will affect different people in a variation of ways. I'm not asking for a yes, I should take them or no I shouldn't, but I'd like a clearer view than that which was given to me by the GP (and my wife who tends to go on a bit (yeah, I know, it doesn't help, NEVER pressurise a depressive but non-depressives never comprehend that)...

Thank you in anticipation of feedback. You can reply privately if you wish.
Kirk

Ccat
20-07-13, 15:32
Hi Kirk

I can relate very well to your dilemma. I too was pretty reluctant to take anti-ds but felt as if i did't know what else to do.

On the plus side- before i was unable to eat, sleep and very aggitated. This has improved.

On the downside I have had quite a number of side-effects- to start with night sweats (these have reduced now) vivid dreams, sometimes I feel a bit shaky.

If you are prone to tummy problems- i would say although they say you can take without food- I would always have breakfast first.

I am waiting to see if i can get some CBT through "healthy minds"- I feel as if in addition to pills I need to do something else- to "retrain" myself!

Anyway, hope that is of some help- eveyone is different of course- one thing is quite a few of us have found it takes quite a while to really kick in too- so be aware of that.

best wishes, and hope you begin to feel better soon whatever you decide,
CCat x

Her Indoors
20-07-13, 18:21
Hi there all,

I have had a much better few days and am cautiously optimistic that my nerves are settling. Tummy troubles are much better and I have been doing my hair and make-up which I haven't really been bothering about much of late.

Still very thin though, and hardly any of my clothes fit me, but I do feel a bit more like myself now, so I shouldn't be so shallow. House still a bit of a tip, but quite frankly I don't really care anymore, we have all survived and Kim and Aggie haven't banged on my door!

I don't know what to do about my tablets now, as they had intended to change my medication, but I am worried to do that now. Oh dear, I will see how it goes until my next appointment in August.

Hope you are feeling better Cat and are managing to sleep better. I didn't have a great night last night, took ages to go to sleep and then woke up really early, but I don't expect anyone is sleeping marvelously in this heat.

Take care everybody and thanks for your posts.

Kind regards.

J xxxx:)

Ccat
20-07-13, 19:11
Oh - that is good news J!

Yes- don't worry about the house too much.

I'm glad your tummy is a bit better.
Do you feel up to eating a little more now? I hope so.

Yes it is harder to sleep in this warm weather - i've been trying to cool my room down with a fan for a bit before i go up.

Yes- just take one day at a time for now- you don't have to make a decision yet. Keep us updated

Ccat xxx

Her Indoors
22-07-13, 09:55
Hi All,

Woke up again with the usual terrible panicky feelings and feel very down and afraid again. I am going to try to get on with things around the house, but feel dreadful and frightened. I should get a call later from the nurse from the mental health team who checks in on me, she is very nice and reassuring.

I am so afraid I will always be like this and it's just so hard. Tummy playing up again. House is a tip, have loads to do, but just can't seem to get going. Really hope the Recovery Team can help me. Perhaps I will change my medication as they suggest, intrusive thoughts and worries again.

Hope you all feel a bit better.

J xxxx:weep:

Ccat
22-07-13, 16:26
Hi J

sorry you're not so good today. I'm not too great eiher- it is very humid- which i don't think helps. Somehow i think monday mornings are hard too

Did the nurse ring you ?

I'm sure you won't always feel like this:hugs:

Her Indoors
23-07-13, 08:58
Hi Cat,

Sorry to hear you are suffering too, hope you settle soon; this humid weather is terrible and doesn't help with the panic does it?

I am feeling very anxious again and find it hard to motivate myself when I feel so bad. Trying to distract myself by watching the telly about the Royal baby and hoping to get to see them leave hospital.

Must ring my Mum later as we had a really bad thunderstorm last night with lots of really loud bangs and lightening. My Mum has a phobia about thunder and lightening and gets really frightened so I am a bit worried about her.

I didn't get a call yesterday which I could have done with really as I had a terrible day and was very upset, cried a lot when my husband came home from work again and had to go to bed early and watch some telly to try to relax. No better today either.

Take care, I hope you have a better day today, hopefully it will be cooler after the storm.

Love J xx:weep:

Ccat
23-07-13, 11:45
Hi J-
Oh yes the humidity doesn't help- i went to the supermarket yesterday- and on the way back i was so hot in the car it made me feel very panicked.
Sorry you are still not so good- i do sympathise- i had a bad night last night- have posted about it seperately and on main forum too- i get so frightened.
You are doing the right thing trying to distact yourself- yes i have the news on too!
hope yourmum is ok- storms can be scary.
Sorry you didn't get the call- maybe she will phone today?
I emailed my husband at work yesterday as i was worried and he wan't very pleased-ifeel he is loosing patience a little with me .
anyway, lets hope we both have some improvement soon- keep in touch, love Ccat xxx

Her Indoors
23-07-13, 12:05
Hi J-
Oh yes the humidity doesn't help- i went to the supermarket yesterday- and on the way back i was so hot in the car it made me feel very panicked.
Sorry you are still not so good- i do sympathise- i had a bad night last night- have posted about it seperately and on main forum too- i get so frightened.
You are doing the right thing trying to distact yourself- yes i have the news on too!
hope yourmum is ok- storms can be scary.
Sorry you didn't get the call- maybe she will phone today?
I emailed my husband at work yesterday as i was worried and he wan't very pleased-ifeel he is loosing patience a little with me .
anyway, lets hope we both have some improvement soon- keep in touch, love Ccat xxx

Hi there Cat,

Sorry you are having a hard time too, I know what you mean about husbands, it is very difficult for them to cope with this horrible illness. I am not even dressed yet, just don't want to do anything. I am hoping the mental health people will be able to help me, but feel nobody can. You can always talk to me on here or PM me if you would rather, I know exactly what you are going through. The only thing that distracts me is doing word puzzles or playing computer games, a thing I would never normally do when I am well, I was always too busy, now I just can't motivate myself to do anything, there doesn't seem to be any point I feel so shakey and frightened all the time.

Take care, thanks for replies, I really appreciate it.

J xxx

Ccat
23-07-13, 19:08
Ah- thank you J. :hugs:

It is very tought isn't it? - but its early days yet with the team- they may help. I know what you mean about distracting yoursef with things you wouldn't normally do as well- but anything that helps .

I think we just have to take one day at a time at the moment. I am due to go back to the drs tomorrow to update her- and i hope my nerve test may be back .
Did you get your call today? I hope so .

.Ccat xxx

Her Indoors
24-07-13, 08:30
Ah- thank you J. :hugs:

It is very tought isn't it? - but its early days yet with the team- they may help. I know what you mean about distracting yoursef with things you wouldn't normally do as well- but anything that helps .

I think we just have to take one day at a time at the moment. I am due to go back to the drs tomorrow to update her- and i hope my nerve test may be back .
Did you get your call today? I hope so .

.Ccat xxx

Hi Cat,

Hope it all goes well for you at the doctors and that all your tests will come back normal, rooting for you all the way, shall be thinking of you, please let me know how it goes. Hope you have someone with you for support when you go.

My lovely nurse phoned me yesterday, she is so understanding and reassuring. She says I have to challenge my thoughts, but it is so hard; this way of thinking has become so entrenched and the panic on waking is like some terrible habit which I just can't stop. I am very disheartened at the moment and have had to take some diazapam when I get really bad, I had nearly a week of not taking it now it feels like back to square one. Still can't motivate myself and staying in because I can't face going out and can't be bothered to make myself presentable. I think I am due to see a friend on Friday, will have to force myself out.

Once again, the very best of luck for today, I shall think of you.

Love J xxx:bighug1:

Ccat
24-07-13, 23:33
ah- thank you so much J, sorry not to reply earlier been at my parents this evening.

I am glad you had a good chat with the nurse. Yes- I think I am the same- if you possibly can see your friend on friday- it might give you a boost .

I was a bit disappointed as my nerve test was not back-. I asked her about shakiness- she seemed unsure whether it was tablets at higher dose- but says she thinks i had best persist with higher dose as i need it.

she has also done me a blood test for thyroid.

LOve Ccat :hugs:x

Her Indoors
25-07-13, 09:18
Hi Ccat,

That's a shame about your nerve test results, hopefully you should get them soon to put your mind at ease and all will be well. I blamed the tablets for my shakiness, but now I am convinced it is the anxiety and panicky feelings causing it, as when I manage to calm (usually by the evening) I stop trembling.

I have had a really bad week and just not coping. The morning panic and anxiety just won't stop, now I am anxious about being anxious and afraid I will always be like this. I haven't been out this week and have done very little. I have an appointment with the mental health team on 7th August and I don't know how I will cope until then, not sure how much more of this I can take, I am wasting my life but I can't stop.

Really sorry this is all so negative. Hope you are sleeping better. Take care.

J xxxx

Ccat
25-07-13, 18:07
Thank you J.

Yes- i have felt quite trembly today. I got made redundant a few months ago- and one of my friends has just told me shes gor an interview- and i am pleased for her but it made me feel sad as i really don't feel i am up to applying for things. Then i think if i made myself would it help to be busier (the thought of having an interview though!-argh!)

i am sorry you're not so good either. I slept with my window open last night- nice and cool- but we have a little cat keeps visiting our garden and she was mewing outside the door early.

I'm glad you have another rappointment. We must try to think that we will improve hun- these things take time dojn't they? :hugs:

Her Indoors
25-07-13, 18:32
Hi Cat,

Sorry to hear you have been trembly, hope that settles down for you. I had a really bad panic again this morning (actually I wake every morning with a panic) and had to get my parents to come over and cried when they got here. Feeling a little better now and generally do in the evening, but the mornings (and afternoons) horrible.
Had to take some diazapam to take the edge off and annoyed I couldn't cope without it.

Hopefully when you start to get better you can think about interviews then once your nerves settle.

You're right about these things taking time, but it's just so hard feeling like this and it grinds you down. I have so much to do around the house and garden but I just can't motivate myself when I am so anxious.

Anyway enough of me moaning, hope you have a better nights sleep.

J xxx

Ccat
26-07-13, 11:50
Hi J

Sorry you had a particulaly bad morning yesterday- i do find mornings are the worst- you wake up and everything hits you doesn't it?- i think a lot of people with bad anxiety find morning the hardest .

It is hard to get motivated isn't it? i moped the kitchen floo yesterday but only because i had seen a couple of ants ! i hate them.

i am a bit worried about my cat- she seems to have a bit of a cough/cold? i am taking her to vets later- she is still eating . I hope that is all it is - heck i am worrying about her health too as well as mine !

Anyway, sending hgs to you :hugs:

Her Indoors
26-07-13, 12:11
Hi Cat,

Sorry about your cat, poor thing, hope the vet can get her sorted, didn't realise cats could get colds though, oh dear.

I am having my usual horrible morning, did a bit of vacuuming, but really can't be bothered. I am trying to make myself presentable as my friend is coming to take me to see her new flat after lunch. I have had to take my diazapam just to get me going, I have resisted before but get in such a state if I don't. My lovely nurse who rings me said I shouldn't be afraid to take it, that's why it's prescribed, but I do worry about being dependent on it. Getting ready to go anywhere exhausts me, but if I do manage to get out I usually feel a little better (but not much). This is will be the first time I have been out since Sunday. I have cried already this morning and feel very despondent, not sure how much longer I can carry on feeling like this. Just counting the days til I see the doctor at the mental health unit. Going to ask about a medication change as obsessive/OCD thoughts not easing and anxiety pretty much all day.

Good luck at the vets, hope your cat will be ok, let me know how it goes. Hope you are feeling a bit better and managed to sleep. Take care.

J xxx

Ccat
26-07-13, 12:38
Thank you J. x

Sorry you're not so good- i'm glad you are going out- i know you probably dont feel like it- but sometimes a change of scene does help a little bit

I can understand you being worried but- i think the nurse is right- try not to think about getting addicted to things- its just to tide you over petal-remember- she has probably seen lots of people and i'm sure shes seen a lot of people get better too.

take care, love Cat xxx

Her Indoors
27-07-13, 18:32
Hi Ccat,

How is your cat doing? Hope she is feeling a bit better, bless.

Had a lovely afternoon with my friend and felt almost normal, her new place is lovely and just a few minutes walk to the beach, we did a bit of shopping had a coffee and she painted my nails for me, she is lovely.

However, woke up again having a massive panic which has lasted practically all day; been crying again and had to take my diazapam. Feeling a little better now, always do in the evenings, really fed up of being like this and very downhearted.

Hope you are ok. I am going to have an early night, really hacked off. Need some serious medication now I think to get me sorted. OCD/anxiety really bad.
Hope you are doing better than me.

Love :weep:J xxx

Ccat
27-07-13, 22:05
Hi J

I'm glad you had a nice time with your friend. - it sounds as if it did do you good to get out- Sorry your not so good again today - try to think that you can still enjoy things

ah- thanks for asking about my cat- she is the vet says she thinks my cat has got laringitis- she has had injection of antibiotics and i hav some medicine for her. I have to keep an eye on her just in case she has swallowed a blade of grass

I had a bad night last night and woke up shaking- horrible - and i keep feeling my pulse all over differen parts of my body. It isnt a good start to the day waking up feelng horrid is it?--

i hope you have a better day tomorrow, love c xxx

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

ps- sorry i don't think i explained that properly- i meant try and think that having a nice time with your friend showed you can still enjoy things - and that is a start - i understand you get little glimmers like that and then you feel bad again- but in time youll feel better for longer periods of time i'm sure- hugs to you x

Her Indoors
28-07-13, 09:38
Hi Ccat,

Hope your cat is improving, antibiotics should do the trick and that will be one less thing to worry about.

Sorry you had a horrible night, waking up panicking is awful, have you got anything to help calm you if it gets really bad? Have you tried doing those breathing exercises, where you breathe in and inflate your tummy? You have to breathe in and slowly breathe out, the breathing out must be longer than you breathe in. I expect there is something on this site about that, more accurately described.

It's strange that I sleep so well when I feel so terrible during the day, I think I just get exhausted by my anxiety that I just shut down, but then I wake in the morning and it starts all over again. I am counting the days til my appointment at the mental health unit, going to ask about some different medication, I am getting so desperate and down, waking every morning feeling panicky and afraid. Eating still a problem, but when I feel a bit better in the evenings, I try to eat then. The poor appetite and anxiety have resulted in me losing a lot of weight and I look dreadful, but that's the least of my problems.

Really hope things are better for you, and I will keep my fingers crossed you have a better night, at least it's a bit cooler now. Thank you for your kind replies, they mean a lot to me, you are good.

Kind regards.

J xxx

Ccat
28-07-13, 13:16
Hi J

Thank you for the tips about the breathing- i do have a hypnotherapy thing i listen to before i go to sleep - it is actually to help with teeth grinding but it is quite relaxing- i try to just concentrate on that. I wonder if you could listen to something first thing on a morning?

I think you are right that anxiety is so tiring that is why you are sleeping. I am glad you can eat a bit in the evening. Though you know petal- understand you don't feel like eating much earlier but i wonder if your blood sugar is low it might make you feel worse? try an d have some cereal if you can manage it- even if its just half a bowl? Try not to worry about how you look- we are our own worst critics aren't we?

my cat does seem a bit brighter thank you - we just need to improve now- don't we ?- we shal keep going- its funny i went out for a bit yesterday- and i was quite distracted and my arm actually felt ok for a while- i think maybe being in the house too much isn't so good - although it is an effort to go out

:hugs:to you , xxx

Her Indoors
28-07-13, 16:07
Hi Ccat,

That's good you went out yesterday and managed to distract yourself. Sorry your arm still being a bother, hopefully that will settle soon. I know what you mean about the effort it takes to go out, it can be exhausting just getting yourself ready and forcing yourself to. I look such a fright most of the time that just doing my hair and make-up (don't want to frighten people) tires me out before I even get out of the house (still a tip btw).

Anyway, all the best, hopefully we WILL feel better soon.

Love J xxxx:bighug1:

Her Indoors
29-07-13, 12:15
Feeling really bad again, still not dressed, very, very anxious. Nothing seems to work, anybody know what long term med is good for chronic anxiety. Please advise someone, very desperate. Many thanks.

J xxx
:weep:

Ccat
29-07-13, 12:38
:hugs: to you J

you know i always think monday mornings are harder somehow.

Are you due for another phonecall from the nurse at all?

When is your next appointment? It is a pity that it takes time to change the medication - you may well feel better with the next adjustment chick.

Have you managed to eat anything? Catxxx

Her Indoors
29-07-13, 12:51
Hi Ccat,

I am in a bad way, and been crying again, not dressed, house a tip and very, very anxious. My daughter is coming home today after staying with her boyfriend for 3 weeks, and I was hoping I would be better, but I am worse. My friend is coming in later, lord know how she stands me, I haven't dressed and must make up my daughter's bed. Relented and took some diazapam, but it only helps for a few hours. I am getting very desperate and wish I wouldn't wake up in the morning. Worried about the effect I am having on my husband, family and friends. Missed my phone call on Friday, as I managed to claw my way out of the house, in such turmoil. I have had a piece of toast but nothing else, life is getting unbearable, I just don't know what to do or who can help me.

I hope you are feeling better, I really appreciate your posts and you seem to really understand. My OCD thoughts just wont stop. I am counting the days till my appointment, but not sure how anyone can help me?

Kind regards,

J xxx

Ccat
29-07-13, 14:59
Hi J

Oh I'm so sorry you're feeling so horrible. Im glad your friend is coming round.
Can you be honest with her about how bad you're feeling? I hope so.

Don't feel cross with yourself for not feeling better for your daughter coming back. maybe it will do you good to have her back hun?

You know- you will look back on this time in the future and think "that was a terribly difficult time" but i do believe you will improve and get better.

:bighug1: xxx

Her Indoors
29-07-13, 17:27
Hi J

Oh I'm so sorry you're feeling so horrible. Im glad your friend is coming round.
Can you be honest with her about how bad you're feeling? I hope so.

Don't feel cross with yourself for not feeling better for your daughter coming back. maybe it will do you good to have her back hun?

You know- you will look back on this time in the future and think "that was a terribly difficult time" but i do believe you will improve and get better.

Hi Ccat,

Thank you for your kind words, hope you are ok, sorry I can be so selfish, I will make sure I post words of encouragement to others (if) I get better, you are good.

I had a phone call this afternoon and a visit from the mental health nurse (had completely forgotten about it) and we had a chat about how I have been feeling. I feel so guilty about all of this, but she was lovely and was very understanding. She will be at the meeting next week when I see the doctor and they are going to review my meds. She said there are lots of different medications which can help me and that I must take the diazapam as I have been prescribed and not to feel guilty about it.

Hopefully something can be sorted for me now and I will get some proper help.

Hope you are settling and thank you for your replies, I really do appreciate them.

Love J xxx

Ccat
30-07-13, 22:34
Hi J

That's good that you've seen the nurse and that she will be there next week too

Not so good at the mo

Her Indoors
31-07-13, 09:08
Hi Ccat,

Sorry you aren't so good at the moment, coping with constant anxiety is so exhausting, I hope you are managing to sleep, I know that has been a problem for you. Hope your cat is recovering, that will be one less thing to think about.

Are you getting any specialist help for your anxiety? I had a referral from my GP as I wasn't getting better after my medication increase and he felt I needed more specialist support. I know it's a bit of a lottery when it comes to healthcare, perhaps you could ask for a referral, not really sure how these things work. My husband had to do quite a bit of ringing around before I was signed over to this team as I was initially signed over to Intensive Support but that finished after 6 weeks and I wasn't any better.

Message me anytime or PM me if you would rather, I know exactly how you feel, it's a struggle every day. I hope you have a better day today.

Love J xx:bighug1:

Ccat
31-07-13, 20:27
Hi J

thank you. I have had horrible earache yesterday- it made it hard to get to sleep and was still thee this morning so i went to the drop in centre and i have got an ear infection, so have antibiotics for it.

I did get a referal to something called "healthy minds"- i filled in a very long questionnaire- hadn't heard anything for ages but they have written now and asked me along to some kind of group thing. I am not very keen to be honest! i had envisaged seeing someone one to one. find itquite intimidating going out much-let alone to a group! :ohmy:

I hope what the nurse said helped - she sounds good- you really shouldn't feel guilty about the diazipan and i'm glad she'll be there for your meeting.

love Cat :bighug1:

NR
31-07-13, 21:43
I think groups are better. Makes me feel normal. Very much like being on here.

Her Indoors
01-08-13, 08:59
Hi J

thank you. I have had horrible earache yesterday- it made it hard to get to sleep and was still thee this morning so i went to the drop in centre and i have got an ear infection, so have antibiotics for it.

I did get a referal to something called "healthy minds"- i filled in a very long questionnaire- hadn't heard anything for ages but they have written now and asked me along to some kind of group thing. I am not very keen to be honest! i had envisaged seeing someone one to one. find itquite intimidating going out much-let alone to a group! :ohmy:

I hope what the nurse said helped - she sounds good- you really shouldn't feel guilty about the diazipan and i'm glad she'll be there for your meeting.

love Cat :bighug1:

Hi Cat,

Sorry to hear about your ear infection, no wonder you couldn't sleep. Hopefully that will start to ease for you once the antibiotics kick in.

The "Healthy Minds" thing might be helpful; I completely understand about how you feel about going out, I don't want to go anywhere at the moment. Could somebody take you there for some support? I went to a similar kind of thing, but to be honest, I was too ill to really benefit from it. However, it does make you realise how many people from all walks of life suffer with anxiety/panic.

I am having a really bad time at the moment, spent most of yesterday crying and I am feeling very depressed as well as anxious. It was a strain for my daughter and I am glad she has work today so that she doesn't have to see me like this. I feel so despondent at the moment, these feelings just won't go, I just don't know what to do anymore. I have no motivation to do anything. I think I will phone my support nurse later, she said I could, but I don't like to bother her. I want to go to my appointment, but I am not sure how they can help me. I just seem to be stuck feeling terrified all the time and I am not coping. I find it a struggle just to get washed and dressed, I am at rock bottom now.

Sorry to go on, don't want to make you feel worse, hope you have a better day today and your ear pain eases.:bighug1:

Love J xxx

Ccat
01-08-13, 14:06
Hiya J

i had a better sleep and my ear has eased - thank you.

Like you though my anxiety not good at all- and my dr is way this week- and my mum has been away too- which doesn't help.

You know sweetheart- we my be at rockbottom- but we must try and believe things will improve.

I think that nurse sounds good - you should ring her if she's said you can chick.

There is no reason why they won't be able to help you- they must have lots o experience of helping people in this situation.

love and hugs to yo u cat x

Her Indoors
01-08-13, 14:59
Hi Cat,

Always lovely to hear from you, sorry your anxiety is bad at the moment. What a pair, eh! Wish some boffin could come up with a magic pill to stop us feeling like this, would do anything to feel normal again (not sure I've ever been normal tho). Just had a call from my lovely nurse, she is so kind and understanding.

Hope your ear pain is easing, horrible having earache, and that your cat is getting better.

Take care, bless you.

J xxx

Ccat
02-08-13, 01:18
Hi J

ah- thank you - ear has improved a bit thanks. My little cat is still abit croaky bless her- but seems ok in herself and is eating,

Im glad you spoke to the nurse again.

Yes we could do with a magic pill hun!

Her Indoors
02-08-13, 10:18
Usual terrible morning anxiety and panic, texted my husband at work as I felt so awful and he rang me back. I just sobbed down the phone, I can't see any end to this and I'm frightened. Supposed to have my hair done today, but don't know how I can face going out, feel dreadful. Have taken some diazapam to calm myself, hate taking it, but can't cope without it now.

Meds review next week, been taking Sertraline for over 4 months now, and it only really helps me to sleep, anxiety/OCD intrusive thoughts still really bad, especially in the morning, well pretty much all day until the evening. No motivation and isolating myself, just can't cope with anything at the moment.

Can medication help me at all, or am I kidding myself?

Hope you are all doing better than me.

Actually it's over 5 months now, I think I need to try something else.

Ccat
02-08-13, 12:28
Hi J

sorry you've had a bad morning again. :hugs:

If you possibly can it might do you good to go to hairdressers if you can manage it- distract yourself a bit.

You know hun- people are looking at your medication and you are doing something about it- but it is frustrating that it takes time to switch medications.

Hope you feel a bit better as the day goes on, I do understand- you sudddenly just feel so overwhelmed by it all- i wasn't feeling too bad ysterday evening- then i got some trembling and i just felt like weeping- you get so sick of the constant worry.

sending hugs:bighug1: c xxx

Her Indoors
02-08-13, 14:30
Hi J

sorry you've had a bad morning again. :hugs:

If you possibly can it might do you good to go to hairdressers if you can manage it- distract yourself a bit.

You know hun- people are looking at your medication and you are doing something about it- but it is frustrating that it takes time to switch medications.

Hope you feel a bit better as the day goes on, I do understand- you sudddenly just feel so overwhelmed by it all- i wasn't feeling too bad ysterday evening- then i got some trembling and i just felt like weeping- you get so sick of the constant worry.

sending hugs:bighug1: c xxx

Hi Cat,

Dragged myself out to the hairdressers, had to take my diazapam and now back having a cup of tea. Feeling a little better, but have zero motivation, so much housework to do, yet I just can't be **sed to do anything but sit about like a lazy pudding waiting to feel better. I used to be so houseproud and was always cleaning and doing the garden (getting a bit scruffy and drive needs weeding).

So sorry to hear you aren't any better either, it does drag you down feeling anxious all the time. I dread the mornings it's always the same, panic attacks and horrible fears and anxiety, it just overwhelms me and I think I can't cope.
Pinning my hopes on a medication change, but fearful will be stuck like this forever, it's like groundhog day, every morning the same. All I look forward to is bed time so that I don't have to think, that's no life, I am heartily sick of it.

Anyhow enough of my whingeing, not helpful. Sorry you are still trembly, think it must be a combo of the meds and anxiety, hopefully should settle down soon. Glad I didn't chicken out of the hairdressers, already look enough of a fright without looking like a scarecrow as well and frightening people. Hope you have a better weekend and manage to sleep. Hope ear pain is gone now.

Love J xx:bighug1::bighug1:

Ccat
02-08-13, 21:26
Hi J

Well done for going to the hairdressers hun x

I hope you have a better weekend too.

Ear a bit better thank you

Her Indoors
06-08-13, 08:02
Hi Ccat

How are you feeling? I had a horrible day yesterday, did very little and cried a lot again, felt pretty hopeless all day. Going to try to get on with things today, still feel pretty terrible. Appointment with mental health people tomorrow, pretty scared, but more scared they won't be able to help me. Hopefully medication change might help me. Zero motivation and very, very depressed as well as chronic anxiety.

Hope you are feeling better regarding your ear and have been sleeping better. How do you find the Sertraline? I think it does help me to sleep I find.

Kind regards

Ccat
06-08-13, 15:54
Hi J

Sorry you had a bad day yesterday- do you think you are a little better at weekends? I am sometimes better with more company?

My ear is ok thank you - yes i think the sert does help me sleep. went to drs today- my nerve test was ok. She is checking my b12 and vit d as still getting strange sensations and shakes in arms,

Good luck for tomorrow. Remember there are a lot of people who have been helped- and sertraline is just one drug that can help- there is no reasn why another one might suit you better chick. Let us know how it goes hun

:hugs: CCat xxx

ps- i am waiting for a new charger- am using my brothers today- so if i don't manage to get online for next couple of days- i'll catch up with you later in week. c xxx

Her Indoors
09-08-13, 16:51
Hi Ccat,

Yes I agree, I think I am much better when I have company and have been feeling a little better over the last couple of days.

Glad you are finding the medication helps you to sleep and that your ear is better and your nerve test went well for you, that's great news and a comfort to know.

I haven't been on the computer for a few days, as my daughter has been really unwell with a sickness bug. She works with small children and there was a horrible one doing the rounds. I have been on mop and bucket duty, and disinfecting everything that doesn't move! It was bug city central here! She was in quarantine in her bedroom, think it was that horrible Nora (sp????) virus, I really, really hate sickness bugs and was wiping all the door handles and even the bannister down with anti-bacterial wipes and spray and obsessively cleaning the loo. Yuck, hate being sick, but can look after people when they are ill, just hate being sick myself. Don't think the washing machine knew what had hit it.

My appointment went well and I have been given a new anti-depressant which is specifically for OCD/anxiety. It's called Trimipramine, think it must be a new one as I have never heard of it before. I am going to be weaned off Mirtazapine completely and cut down on the Sertraline and then upped on this new drug. I have to take it at night and so far so good, no side effects, just a slight headache yesterday which went away when I drank lots of water. No sickness or tummy troubles, so it's been kind to me.

Hope the vitamins help with the numbness/tingling and that settles down for you soon. Had a much better day yesterday and did some gardening as it was getting a bit scruffy and cut the grass. I must be feeling better as I actually put on some music today, haven't been interested in listening to anything for months.

Have a good weekend, and take care.

Ccat
10-08-13, 21:13
Oh- that's good J!
Well done- I'm so glad you have been feeling a little better and your meeting went well. sounds as if you've been pretty busy looking after your daughter.
I am much the same. I have been getting very anxious about my symptoms again. I should get resukts back from vit B12 and vit D this week - i hope it IS that really- as it would give me a reason. I get so scared its something serious- :scared15:

love to you :bighug1:

Her Indoors
11-08-13, 23:10
Oh- that's good J!
Well done- I'm so glad you have been feeling a little better and your meeting went well. sounds as if you've been pretty busy looking after your daughter.
I am much the same. I have been getting very anxious about my symptoms again. I should get resukts back from vit B12 and vit D this week - i hope it IS that really- as it would give me a reason. I get so scared its something serious- :scared15:

love to you :bighug1:

Hi Cat,

Sorry you are not so good, hope you get your results back soon to put your mind at rest. Are you getting on ok with the Sertraline? It does help me to sleep and once I am off, I mostly sleep right through til the morning, that has really helped me enormously. Hope that is the same for you.

Keep us posted about your results, shall be thinking of you and wish you well. Sending you :bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:.

J xxx

Ccat
12-08-13, 18:11
Hi J

Thank you so much. I will go to drs tomorrow or day after i think. I would say it is helping with my sleep which is good (still feel really tired though!) That is a good thing. However, i think maybe it is giving me a lot of side effects still- and they gt me anxious- wel its hard to know what is side-effects and whats not.

How are yo u doing? :hugs: Ccat xxx

Her Indoors
13-08-13, 09:37
Hi Cat,

I am doing better thank you, but still waking up every morning with panic and anxiety, it is horrible but I am getting better at handling it, or maybe I am just used to it, it's been like this for 8 months now.

Sorry you aren't so good Cat, hopefully when you go to the doctors, he/she can put your mind at rest a little; it is hard to know whether the tablets are making things better or worse in the early stages.

I have taken 6 doses of my new medication, and I haven't really had any side effects and tried really hard to resist looking at the scary leaflet, but I just can't help myself and always have to look and then regret it.:doh:

My nice nurse from the Mental Health team is coming to see me later, she is lovely, down-to-earth and such a kind person, I really like her, and she makes me believe I will get better, which is half the battle really.

Take care, hope all goes well at the doctors. Keep us posted.

J xxxx:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

Ccat
14-08-13, 14:54
Hiya J!

sorry mornings are still tough hun- but on the plus side- its very good news that your new meds seem to be agreeing with you-:yesyes:

I hope the visit from your nurse went well- she sounds lovely

so yesterday i went to the drs- my B12 is at "top of range", and blood sugar fine so these things obviously not the problem! However my vitamin D results weren't back.

So- I went for a walk with my brother and i was thinking "mm- my arms feel a little bit better today" then when i woke this am- for first time in a while neither arm trembling!- when ii went to take my 100mg- realised i had dashed out to drs yesterday and forgot to take it!

so now i am in bit of dilemma!- I have left a messae for dr askin if it is possible to go back down to 50mg- what do you think? I may put this in anothe post too- see what everyone thinks.

anyway, take care, love C:hugs:

Her Indoors
15-08-13, 09:00
Hi Cat,

Glad to hear your test results were all good and hopefully you will get your vitamin D one back soon to put your mind at rest.

It is hard to know what to do for the best regarding medication; I think we overthink everything when we are anxious and are on high alert for any changes we notice in our bodies. I think that was a good idea to contact your doctor for advice and hopefully he/she will be able to help you; I think we just have to trust the medical professionals regarding this, but it is difficult. I am having a similar problem myself with my medication. I have had a good week (for me, apart from the terrible morning panic/anxiety when I wake up) but am having a bit of a wobble this morning and am debating whether to take any diazapam as haven't had any for a few days. I took my increased dose of Trimipramine last night and have stopped the Mirtazapine (on Consultant's advice, after cutting down) and feel really terrible again. I am not sure what to make of it, feel like I am back to square one again and it sucks. I am a bit worried about taking the Sertraline with this new med, but the Consultant was so great, I am putting all my trust in her and the medication as I can't go on like this anymore.

Perhaps your body is getting used to the medication and that is why the trembling has stopped Cat, hopefully your doctor can reassure you about this. Take care and keep us posted. That was good you went for a walk with your brother, well done. It is a horrible morning here and I have nothing planned but intend to do a huge pile of ironing (yay!!!) if I can get off my behind and that horrible dread/anxious feeling eases a little. I am so sick of feeling like this EVERY morning, am wondering if the increase in the new med is responsible. Oh dear! Overthinking again, which is the cause of all my problems.

J xx

Ccat
15-08-13, 20:53
Hiya J

sorry you haven't been so good earlier . I don't think its likely to be the new meds chick- as you have been feeling bad on a morning for quite a while- and i think you sound a bit brighter generally? It sounds like that team is good you know.:yesyes:

The Dr has said it is ok for me to go down again if i think its making my shakiness bad- so i'm trying it- cn always increase again if i need to - it is so tricky

anyway :bighug1: to you xxx

Her Indoors
17-08-13, 16:34
Hi Cat,

That's good your doctor was able to advise you, perhaps cutting back down will do the trick, it is so hard to know what to do for the best.

I have had a horrible few days and feel terrible again. I have stopped taking the Mirtazapine now and have increased the Trimipramine as per the Consultant's instruction and am wondering if I am suffering from some sort of withdrawal as well as being anxious anyway. I feel very shaky and frightened all the time and just so tired. I wake up feeling tired and exhausted and have been crying again in the mornings and am finding it hard to cope. My sleep is getting disturbed again, hope I don't slip back to not sleeping again.

I hope you are feeling better and managing to sleep. Take care.:bighug1:

J xxx

Ccat
17-08-13, 21:36
Hi J

sorry to hear that chick. perhaps it is a bit of withdrawl - while you are adjusting.

i'm sorry you aren't sleeping so well. NR- was just saying he wasn't either- so You know- sometimes when i wasn't eating too well i would wake up hungry in the night. I found it helpful to have a snack - like a banana or maybe some porrige/cereal before i went to bed?

also- have you tried having a nice warm bath to relax you too? I find epsom salts good to put in?

I sometimes find "kalms" good too, sending you a :bighug1: andtry not to worry - it is probably normal to feel a bit wobbly as you change meds, love ccta xxx

Her Indoors
18-08-13, 08:48
Hi Cat,

Thank you for your kind words and helpful tips. Hope you are doing ok. I am really struggling and am very, very anxious. My sleep is not great now either. I don't know what to do or who can help me. I am feeling very hopeless.

Take care.

J xx

Ccat
18-08-13, 13:05
Hiya J

so sorry to hear that chick. When are you due to see/ speak to the nice nurse next?

Do you think maybes you should gve her a ring tomorrow- and tell her how you are feeling?

Cat xxx xxx xx:hugs:

Her Indoors
20-08-13, 07:51
Hi Cat,

Hope you are ok, thanks for your posts, you are good.

I feel absolutely terrible. Wake up at about 5 with the most terrible panic and anxiety. I have just had to take some diazapam but it doesn't do a lot for me now. I am not sure whether I am withdrawing from the mirtazapine or if it's the new medication (trimipramine), but I feel awful. I am literally shaking from head to foot and feel slightly sick, and terrified. I phoned my nurse (care coordinator) and she is going to come to see me tomorrow as I am in such a bad way. My husband didn't want to leave me this morning as I am so bad, but he has a lot of pressure at work and couldn't stay. I just have no motivation to do anything as I am so crippled with anxiety which lasts pretty much til the evening. I don't know what to do and was even thinking of ringing the Samaritans. I have very good friends and family but I hate worrying them. I am a mess and I don't know how to get out of it. Tomorrow night I have to increase my new medication and am praying for a miracle, I think I am going to need it.

Take care, I hope you are doing better Cat.:weep:

J xxx

Ccat
20-08-13, 11:23
hiya J

sorry you've had such an awful morning chick- i am glad you are getting a visit tomorrow.

it would make sense that you might feel a bit worse as you are adjusting to the changes in your tablets hun- your body needs time to adjust to all the changes.

i know what you mean about not wanting to worry people- but i'm sure family and friends would want to help

i'm sure things will get better- but at least you can have a chat about the medication worries you have tomorrow chick

sending :bighug1: xxx xxxx xxx

Her Indoors
21-08-13, 15:15
Hi Cat,

Another terrible day, I am very shaky and anxious. My lovely nurse came to see me as in a bad way and have been advised to re-start the Mirtazapine half a tablet and take my increased dose of Trimipramine. All these medications, I feel like a drug addict and for somebody who doesn't drink or smoke it is hard to get to grips with. I think my body is having a withdrawal process. I have every sympathy for people who are coming off drugs now, going through all this has made me a better person I think. If I had any enemies, I wouldn't wish this on anybody. The Consultant wants to see me again in a couple of weeks, I am very lucky regarding my treatment and really appreciate it, I guess it's a bit of a lottery really, but I have been treated very well.

How are you doing? Hope you are feeling better Cat. Thanks for replying to my posts, you are good.:bighug1:
Kind regards,

J xxx

MrAndy
21-08-13, 15:23
hang in there J it does get better with time

nicola1980
21-08-13, 16:16
Hi J, I've been following your posts and can totally sympathise with you, i suffered a breakdown 2 years ago and was literally bed bound with severe panic and anxiety, every morning id wake shaking, teeth chattering, retching and hyperventilating, i was so poorly i had to move back in with my parents with my son as my husband works split shifts and i wasn't capable of looking after myself or my son, i was tried on various meds all to which made me 10 times worse if that was even possible! Id lie in bed curled up in a ball crying and shaking it really was the worst time of my life especially because i could see what it was doing to my family aswell, my mum used to hold me whilst id shake uncontrollably crying my eyes out because the fear was so intense, eventually my psychiatrist decided to try me on venlafaxine and a low dose of an anti physcotic olanzapine which apparently is very effective for panic and anxiety and eventually very slowly i started to feel better, i managed to move back home and since then I've been very slowly improving, i still have:yahoo bad days now that literally scare the life out of me as i can still remember that fear i felt but Im finding ways to cope and in 2 weeks Im finally seeing a physcologist to start intense therapy, all i want to say is you will get better this is not your life hun so foot give up, keep strong and take all the support you are offered, i know at the min you sprobably can't see a light at the end of the tunnel but believe me Im living proof there is, i know exactly how your feeling at the min and it is so scared and lonely but i promise things will improve but it will be gradual, so gradual you may not even notice yourself until one day you think hey Im not too bad today?

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

So hang in there and anytime you need a chat please feel Free to message me anytime, take care, Nicola x x

---------- Post added at 16:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:47 ----------

Sorry for my poor spelling, Im on my phone and its the blinking predictive text! X x

Her Indoors
21-08-13, 18:52
Thank you all for your kind support, it means the world to me. I am sat here in my nightie (again) and I can't stop shaking.

Nicola, what you describe is exactly how I feel at the moment, you could be writing about me and it's horrible. More tablets for me tonight, I can't get any worse so am pining my hopes on this. I feel so guilty about what I am putting my family through, but I just can't muster anymore or put on an act. Thank goodness my son and daughter are adults, anyone coping with this and small children, I don't know how they do it. Thank you for your kind words, they give me hope. I hope all is going well for you now.

Many, many thanks.

J xxx

nicola1980
21-08-13, 19:00
Have you got Diazepam to help you? I was prescribed 10-15mg a day when i was at my worst, looking back i don't know how i got through it but i did and you will too hun i promise, i know exactly what your going through and it is sheer hell there is no other wax to describe it but you have the strength to fight this and get your life back x x

rosietj
21-08-13, 20:02
Hi all

Please help someone. I am in a very black place at the moment with serious hypochondria as had tummy issues which my go says is more than likely associated with months of anxiety not eating etc. she has prescribed sertaline 50mg and i am terrified to take them as more anxiety i cannot deal with. Just to add to my woes I was made redundant 6 weeks ago and it's knocked me sideways. I have found another job and at 60 that is not easy but I hate it as my head is all over the place and although people are nice all I think about is my aches and worries and want to curl up and forget everything. I am not doing well getting my head around 60 either! I hate taking pills and now I don't know what to do. Why cannot I accept myself. I hate being like this soooo much. Sorry for rambling and thanks for listening x

Ccat
21-08-13, 23:10
Hi J

sorry you are still feeling so bad hun- i think medication wise- i know its frightening but just try the doses they are suggesting- you might feel an improvement soon.

Nicola is right - it is so ard to imagine being bettar again but it will happen in time. sending:bighug1:

Cat xxx

---------- Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

Hello Rosie,
I'm sorry you are having a hard time too. I was made redundant recently too - it is such a blow isn't it ? It certainly doesn't help with feelings of anxiety. You have done very well to fing another job. i haven't yet.
Only you can decide whether to take the sertraline hun- I sympathise as i don't like taking tablets either but it would be worth it if they helped wouldn't it? They do take a little while to work. One thing i would say though- if you do take them you must try and eat something first - it will help them no to upset your tummy. Let us know how you get on. Cat x

Her Indoors
22-08-13, 15:39
Thank you so much Cat, you are good, I am just going to have to trust the Consultant and take my new tablets. As yet they aren't helping at all it's been two weeks and one day, so am bitterly disappointed how bad I feel, I have a horrible worry I am going to be someone who medication doesn't work for and I'm really frightened. I am still in bed and can't face anything. I am so down I can't even cry anymore.

Hope you are doing better, and that the Sertraline is helping you.

J xxx

Ccat
23-08-13, 11:55
Oh J- sending you :bighug1: xxx

I ope things improve for you soon- i think just over 2 weeks is still quite early- I remember after 2 weeks on the sert i wasn't feeling the full effect - so maybe over the next couple of weeks it will build up more- i do hope so .

keep us updated,

much love, Cat xxx

Her Indoors
23-08-13, 13:21
Hi Cat,

How are you doing these days? I hope you are finding the medication is helping, I am not sure it's doing much for me. Woke up at 4 this morning having a panic attack, I feel so miserable. The window cleaner is here and I am hiding in my bedroom with the curtains closed as I can't face anybody. My husband was worried so he popped home and was able to pay him thank goodness.:weep:

I feel utterly hopeless again. I have been very lucky that I can see my consultant again next week, the appointments are like gold dust so I really appreciate it.

Hope you enjoy your weekend. Kind regards.:bighug1:

J xx

Ccat
23-08-13, 22:29
Hi J

Sorry you've had a bad day hun. I know what you mean about not wanting to see people

i'm glad that you are able to see the consultant next week. i hope you have a better week- end- you know sweetheart-i'm sure things will get better- you may feel so different in a few weeks time. I think it is just taking time to "fine-tune" all the different tablets to the right dose

Cat xxx xxx xxx

Her Indoors
24-08-13, 09:23
Thank you Cat, you are always so positive and I appreciate your replies. Hope you are doing ok. I am not so good.

Rosie, have you tried your medication yet? Let us know how you are going on, sorry I didn't respond to your post earlier and I hope you are feeling a little better.:bighug1:

Heartfelt thanks to anyone who replied to my posts.

Tufty
24-08-13, 10:57
Hi J,

How are you feeling today? I wonder if many of your symptoms are due to stopping the Mirtazapine, I stopped it about 10 weeks ago after being on it for 10 weeks and I had an increase in anxiety and panic attacks. Mirtazapine can cause withdrawal effects in some people like insomnia, increase in anxiety and nausea. As time passes these symptoms will decrease and you will feel the benefit of those new drugs.

It's impossible to know what's you and what's the drugs when you're on more than one and have changed from one to another and it's a demoralising feeling as you feel you have no control. I've just started a drug similar to Trimipramine, I've been on 5 different drugs in the past 12 months and am now taking 2 - Pregabalin and Dosulepin, I don't think any of us want to take drugs but I wasn't coping with the anxiety and panic so I trust my doctor to help me as he knows how.

It's good to hear you have some support from the local mental health nurses and get to see your doctor regularly, I hope you don't put on a brave face and really tell him how bad things have been? I know I sometimes gloss over the gory details of how bad I've been feeling, it seems like I am wallowing in it, making it worse or worried that it makes it more real if I tell people just how awful I feel but it is important your doctor knows exactly how you've been feeling.

You will get better, I've had weeks of feeling utterly hopeless, lost and useless but it has improved, I've still a way to go. I have hidden away from visitors, stayed in bed, not known what to do with myself, kept the curtains closed etc. but I am now starting to rebuild my life.

You will recover, you are still you but you have been overcome by this horrible illness at the moment, try not to fight it, accept that you don't feel well at the moment and be kind to yourself. The time will come when you feel better and you will feel like doing things again, try not to worry about what you're not doing now, when you are better you will be able to do those normal day to day things easily again.

Just remember, you can and you will get better
Thinking of you
Sam x

Her Indoors
26-08-13, 15:25
Hi J,

How are you feeling today? I wonder if many of your symptoms are due to stopping the Mirtazapine, I stopped it about 10 weeks ago after being on it for 10 weeks and I had an increase in anxiety and panic attacks. Mirtazapine can cause withdrawal effects in some people like insomnia, increase in anxiety and nausea. As time passes these symptoms will decrease and you will feel the benefit of those new drugs.

It's impossible to know what's you and what's the drugs when you're on more than one and have changed from one to another and it's a demoralising feeling as you feel you have no control. I've just started a drug similar to Trimipramine, I've been on 5 different drugs in the past 12 months and am now taking 2 - Pregabalin and Dosulepin, I don't think any of us want to take drugs but I wasn't coping with the anxiety and panic so I trust my doctor to help me as he knows how.

It's good to hear you have some support from the local mental health nurses and get to see your doctor regularly, I hope you don't put on a brave face and really tell him how bad things have been? I know I sometimes gloss over the gory details of how bad I've been feeling, it seems like I am wallowing in it, making it worse or worried that it makes it more real if I tell people just how awful I feel but it is important your doctor knows exactly how you've been feeling.

You will get better, I've had weeks of feeling utterly hopeless, lost and useless but it has improved, I've still a way to go. I have hidden away from visitors, stayed in bed, not known what to do with myself, kept the curtains closed etc. but I am now starting to rebuild my life.

You will recover, you are still you but you have been overcome by this horrible illness at the moment, try not to fight it, accept that you don't feel well at the moment and be kind to yourself. The time will come when you feel better and you will feel like doing things again, try not to worry about what you're not doing now, when you are better you will be able to do those normal day to day things easily again.

Just remember, you can and you will get better
Thinking of you
Sam x

Hi Sam,

Thank you so much for your kind post and words of wisdom. The people on this forum are so kind and supportive and getting replies means the world to me.

I feel dreadful and the waking up every morning with the horrible panic is really getting me down. Even when I take my diazapam it doesn't really help that much, but I am determined not to increase the dose, even though I have been told I can. I am anxious and on edge all day till the evening but like to go to bed early and relax and watch telly, it's the only respite I seem to get. I am not sure whether my new tablets are helping at all, or if, as you suggest, it could be withdrawal from the Mirtazapine. I have been taking this since 2007, so I suppose it could be making me feel worse. I am terrified there won't be a medication on the planet that can make me better, and I feel so despondent.

I feel so tired all the time and very shaky. I think you are right about telling the consultant about how bad I feel. In the past I think I have not been completely honest about how bad things are for me, but I was completely honest on my last visit, which was a huge relief, I hope she can come up with some solutions. I can't live with this for much longer, the sheer terror when I wake up and the horrible anxious, uneasy feeling all day. I wouldn't wish this on anybody, it is utterly horrific.

Hope you are going on ok and things are settling for you. Many thanks.

J xxxx:bighug1:

Ccat
31-08-13, 00:29
Hiya J :flowers:

How did your appointment go with the consultant? I was thinking of you this week- i went away for a few days and didn't realise that i couldn't get internet where i was!

i am not surprsed you feel so tired chick. I think anxiety is very draining. I hope you are feeling a little better. it is bound to be a shock to the bodt adjusting all the medication,

anyway, sending :hugs:

love cat xxx

Tufty
31-08-13, 13:24
How are you J?

You said you are worried that there is no medication on the planet that will help you - there is always hope. I am trying my 12th medication, albeit over 16 years but my 6th medication did work for 8 years and I have faith that I will find another one that works as well.

I hope you are starting to feel better

Love Sam x

Her Indoors
02-09-13, 12:10
Hi Cat and Tufty,

My appointment went well thanks, but I am not so good today.

Feeling very despondent and tearful again. Loads to do but just can't face it. Not sure the new tablets are doing anything much. I am afraid I will never recover and I feel so tired. Not sure there is any medication that can help me either. Mental health nurse is coming to see me tomorrow.

Hope you are both doing well.

J xxxx:weep::weep:

Tufty
02-09-13, 13:50
Hi Cat and Tufty,

My appointment went well thanks, but I am not so good today.

Feeling very despondent and tearful again. Loads to do but just can't face it. Not sure the new tablets are doing anything much. I am afraid I will never recover and I feel so tired. Not sure there is any medication that can help me either. Mental health nurse is coming to see me tomorrow.

Hope you are both doing well.

J xxxx:weep::weep:

That sounds just like me J, things to do but just can't face it. But we do cope, we do survive these rough days and come through the other side and in time these days will lessen and be a distant memory.

I also feel tired, I've not been out of bed for more than 15 minutes at a time today but I know we will recover. I've been here before and fully recovered, it's just takes time and baby steps. I discovered that I take one step forward then two back but then three forward and one back and slowly slowly the recovery starts. At times it seems hopeless and that we're going backward but each day is a step forward, a day towards recovery. Once the medication has settled down you will find the strength to rebuild your life.

Try not to think about the medication or give any time to those thoughts of never getting better, it is wasted time and energy and won't help. Sleep, distract yourself from your thoughts, watch rubbish on TV etc, anything to let the time pass and when you start feeling more like you all those things you want to do will become natural again.

Do you find the nurse coming helpful?

Love and :hugs: Sam

Ccat
04-09-13, 11:32
Hi J

I'm glad to hear your appointment went well but sorry you're not so good.

How did your visit from the nurse go chick?

sending :hugs: to you

Cat xxx

Her Indoors
04-09-13, 13:28
Hi Sam and Cat,

Thank you for your posts. I am still not great and have been told to take my diazapam more regularly, but it doesn't really help that much now.

My visit from the mental health nurse went ok, and I have an appointment to see the Consultant next week to see how the medication is working. I don't really feel any different and mornings are getting unbearable. I'm not sure how much longer I can cope with this but don't have a choice really.

Take care both of you, hope you are ok.

Kind regards,

J xxxx

MrAndy
04-09-13, 14:26
Keep fighting J ,it wont last forever

take care

Ccat
05-09-13, 00:15
Mr Andy is right J - things will get better hun
sending big :hugs:Cat xxx

Her Indoors
08-09-13, 18:25
Thank you Andy and Cat,

Hope you are both OK and thank you for your encouragement, it means such a lot to me. Mornings are still unbearable, but I am taking my diazapam regularly now and it does take the edge off. Worried I will never get better and I feel so hopeless pretty much all day. Odd glimmers now and again but mostly sicky, panicky anxiety and it's very tiring. Thank goodness I can sleep now.

My best to everyone.

MrAndy
08-09-13, 20:14
trust me you will get better it just takes time,im nearly 100% and at one point desperate
im even being discharged from my care team soon :)
hang in there and be brave

Ccat
09-09-13, 21:51
Hi J

I'm glad you can sleep. Don't worry about taking the diazipan- its just to help you while everything is being adjusted.

Those little glimmers- will start to increase- and then turn into longer times of feeling more like yourself.

keep going hun- we are all behind you . keep us updated and don't give up hope chick

sending :bighug1: Cat xxxx

Her Indoors
12-09-13, 08:21
Thank you Andy and Cat,

Hope you are both doing well. That's great Andy that you are well enough to be discharged hope that all goes well for you.

How are you getting on Cat? Hope the medication is settling down for you.

I am not good and really struggling now. Appointment with the Consultant on Friday; I am at rock bottom and barely functioning now and have not been out since the weekend and am sitting in my pyjamas most of the time now. I am hopelessly depressed and the anxiety is really bad all day. I have zero motivation and cry a lot and have been upsetting my family. New medication doesn't seem to make any difference and am losing hope. Terrified I am going to be someone who doesn't respond to medication.

It's all such a mess and I am frightened.

Ccat
13-09-13, 15:50
Hiya J

very sorry to hear you're feeling so horrid hun. Please let us know how your appointment with the consultant goes.

try not to give up hope- they might just have not got the levels right yet.

sending :bighug1:

Cat xxx

MrAndy
13-09-13, 17:37
the meds will work but it takes a long time
please hang in there,im rooting and praying for you

Her Indoors
15-09-13, 10:51
Hi Andy and Cat,

Thank you so much for your kind messages and support. Bless you.

My appointment with the Consultant went well, even though I cried during it. She is wonderful, I am so lucky to be under her care.

I have been given a new medication called Pregabalin which is especially for anxiety and have been told to reduce down on the Sertraline as unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working for me. I am cautiously hopeful now, as the morning panic and anxiety seem to be subsiding slightly and this morning I actually slept in until 9.30 am, can't remember the last time I slept so long. Even managed a trip out in the car with my husband yesterday, while he went to look at a potential job.

I hope you are both doing well.

Ccat
16-09-13, 01:39
Hi J

I am lad you had a good sleep- makes a huge difference and well done for going out with your husband. I'm sure that it is a ood sin that this medication is going to suit you better- but just take it one day at a time- and remember it will take a little while.

sending hugs- please keep us updated on how you are doing.

love cat xxx

---------- Post added at 01:39 ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 ----------

sorry- a good sign- typin too fast! xxx

Her Indoors
16-09-13, 13:10
Hi J

I am lad you had a good sleep- makes a huge difference and well done for going out with your husband. I'm sure that it is a ood sin that this medication is going to suit you better- but just take it one day at a time- and remember it will take a little while.

sending hugs- please keep us updated on how you are doing.

love cat xxx

---------- Post added at 01:39 ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 ----------

sorry- a good sign- typin too fast! xxx

Hi Cat,

Feeling so much better today, been pottering around cleaning and washing (much needed) and am going to put on one of my costume drama romances and get stuck into it.:)

How are you doing? Hope the Sertraline is working for you.

I am not sure if it is the Pregabalin working or it's the Trimipramine kicking in.
Not sure how much longer I will be able to post on this thread, as I am reducing my Sertraline with a view to coming off it (under the Consultant's instruction). I think it is a good medication, it just didn't seem to work for me, unfortunately.

My very best to you, and thanks.:bighug1:

J xxxx

Her Indoors
16-09-13, 15:01
hi everyone, ive just read through this because im due to start sert after 2 failed attempts with fluoxitine and citalopram !! ive got this silly phobia of taking drugs which to me isnt surprising when we look at what they do to us before they start working !! can i ask a quick question ?? when is the best time to take them ... my sleep is very very messed up right now and i dont wake till 2/3 in the afternoon and i keep convincing myself this is too late in the day to start them and il do it next time im up early .... there hasnt been a next time in about 3 weeks :( .... im sorry to hear the rollercoaster ride you have all been on, it sounds like u all have a great support system around u and even though u feel like hell you have come alot further than u think and im glad i read this, u have given me the courage to give it a go

luvvage

Ellie xx

Hi Ellie,

I was told to take the Sertraline in the morning by the Consultant, and it did help me to sleep. Could you set an alarm to wake you up so that you could take them? Did your GP or Consultant tell you when to take them, perhaps you could give them a ring and see what they say.

I found from personal experience it was better to take them after eating something quite stodgy, as I found taking them on an empty stomach really didn't suit me at all. Best of luck with your medication, I really hope you feel better soon.

MrAndy
17-09-13, 09:13
morning for me as well

Her Indoors
17-09-13, 14:45
Hi Andy,

How are you today?

I am feeling quite a bit better; only slight panic on waking and able to get it under control and distract myself with the cleaning.

By the way, is your avatar a character from Grange Hill?? I am showing my age now, oh dear.

MrAndy
17-09-13, 14:50
Hi Andy,

How are you today?

I am feeling quite a bit better; only slight panic on waking and able to get it under control and distract myself with the cleaning.

By the way, is your avatar a character from Grange Hill?? I am showing my age now, oh dear.

im having a very bad day today anxiety has hit me out of the blue
yes its Roland !
so glad your on the up,keep at it :)

Her Indoors
17-09-13, 15:04
im having a very bad day today anxiety has hit me out of the blue
yes its Roland !
so glad your on the up,keep at it :)

Hi Andy, really sorry you are having a bad day. Sending you a :bighug1: and thinking of you. We can get better, it just takes a bit of time.

J xxxx

MrAndy
17-09-13, 15:09
Hi Andy, really sorry you are having a bad day. Sending you a :bighug1: and thinking of you. We can get better, it just takes a bit of time.

J xxxx

i agree but its turning my hair grey !
Ive come along way since hospital which is what i try and hold onto when i get bad and now you can now you are having good moments
dont ever give up the fight and dont believe people when they say its with you for life. Millions of people go through this and recover fully they just dont write about it on the internet

Her Indoors
17-09-13, 15:26
Hi Andy,

You with your grey hair and me getting more wrinkles, oh dear. This horrible condition has a lot to answer for. I am so fed up of my anxiety ruining everything but at least now I feel like fighting it a bit more.

Well done on your progress, hopefully just a little blip on the rocky road to recovery. Sorry for the dreadful cliches! Really hope you feel better soon.

J xxxx

MrAndy
17-09-13, 15:52
at least we have this place to let off steam ,im sure tomorrow will be a better day

Ccat
20-09-13, 00:03
Hiya J (and Andy)

Glad you are doin better J- great news!:yesyes:

I know you are coming off sertraline but i hope you still let us know how you are doing or we shall miss you xxx

Andy- I have replied to you on your post xxx

:bighug1: to both of yers!

Her Indoors
20-09-13, 13:04
Hiya J (and Andy)

Glad you are doin better J- great news!:yesyes:

I know you are coming off sertraline but i hope you still let us know how you are doing or we shall miss you xxx

Andy- I have replied to you on your post xxx

:bighug1: to both of yers!

Hi Cat,

Thank you so much for your posts, hope you are also doing well.

I am beginning to feel a lot better and am cautiously optimistic I can recover now. This site and the people who post on it are so kind and understanding. I shall continue to post and hopefully give some support to others as I have been given.

Hi there Andy, hope you are feeling better after your horrible day, I wish you all the best.

Love J xxx:bighug1::bighug1::hugs:

Ccat
22-09-13, 12:19
Oh that's good to hear J- the new meds are obviously suiting you . Just be patient with yourself- but having hope is the most important thing. Just think as well you have been very strong to get through this difficult time- you shuld be proud of yourself. Are you feeling like you can eat a little more? you must build your strength back up. its good you are sleeping better

I have found the autumny weather this week a bit lowering and my neighbour who i am very fond of is being evicted so i am sad about that.

love and :hugs: to you, Cat xxx:flowers:

Her Indoors
23-09-13, 09:37
Oh that's good to hear J- the new meds are obviously suiting you . Just be patient with yourself- but having hope is the most important thing. Just think as well you have been very strong to get through this difficult time- you shuld be proud of yourself. Are you feeling like you can eat a little more? you must build your strength back up. its good you are sleeping better

I have found the autumny weather this week a bit lowering and my neighbour who i am very fond of is being evicted so i am sad about that.

love and :hugs: to you, Cat xxx:flowers:

Hi Cat,

Sorry to hear about your neighbour, hope they have somewhere else to go. Oh dear.

Yes, the darker grey days can be depressing, but hopefully we might get a little sun this week, I think it is going to be dry here in my neck of the woods, I am hoping to get my washing out today.

Still not a great appetite, but I am trying to eat more in the day now, rather than leaving it til the evening when I feel much better. I have a busy day today tidying my garden and doing some weeding, I have let things slip a bit (a lot actually), but now feel motivated to at least do a little. I want to make chutney with our apples. I have a small garden, but have an eating apple tree which has loads on it, they aren't great to eat (a bit powdery) but they make nice pickle, and I usually make loads for Christmas and give some to family and friends. I like the fact that I am using them up and not wasting them by throwing them in the compost bin.

Hope you are feeling better and thank you for all your kind words and posts, they kept me going during my worst times.

With very best wishes.

Love J xx:bighug1::bighug1:

Ccat
24-09-13, 14:30
Hi again J

My neighbour has found somewhere thankfully. She is moving on Saturday. I took some things to the tip for her- i think m husband and i will give her a hand on saturday. I shall be very sorry to see her go- i am fond of her and her 2 sons - the youngest one was born there- and so i have seen hin snce he was a baby (hes 5 now

Oh that's good that you've been out in the garden - you inspired me !- today as it is a bit sunny - i have put my washing out and cut the budlia back a bit.

mmm- that sounds like a good idea making chutney J- my husband always says to me he feels good when hes made something.

i am thinking of looking for some part -time work- i get a bit anxious thinking of it - but we are struggling on just my husbands wage.

it is good to hear from you - love and best wishes, Cat xxx:hugs:

Her Indoors
24-09-13, 16:54
Hi Cat,

How kind you are helping your neighbour, especially when you haven't been well yourself. I like to lend a hand when I can, and it does help you feel better about yourself doesn't it?

I had a slow start today, but have been making some chutney; yesterday I tidied the front garden and did some weeding, it was looking a bit scruffy but that's one job sorted.

I would like to do some voluntary work of some kind, but have lost my confidence and even the thought of this scares me, so I understand completely how you feel. Anxiety/depression really knocks you and makes you doubt yourself so I can relate to that.

Lovely to hear from you. My best wishes.

J xxx:)

Ccat
28-09-13, 00:11
Hi J, Its lovely to hear from you too.

SOunds like you are doing well- i think take one day at a time. Don't rush into anything- I think we'll both know when the time is right to tackle more things.

I have been having a clear out. have done a bit in garden. I am sad about my neighbour- her boys brouught me a card and chocolates today to say thank you for helping them! The biggest job is helping her tomorrow though.

love, Cat xxx

Her Indoors
01-10-13, 12:21
Hi J, Its lovely to hear from you too.

SOunds like you are doing well- i think take one day at a time. Don't rush into anything- I think we'll both know when the time is right to tackle more things.

I have been having a clear out. have done a bit in garden. I am sad about my neighbour- her boys brouught me a card and chocolates today to say thank you for helping them! The biggest job is helping her tomorrow though.

love, Cat xxx

Hi Cat,

Well done on having a tidy and doing the garden, it does make you feel better when you have accomplished something, so that's great. Shame about your nice neighbour moving out, perhaps you can keep in touch with her and her family. Hope the move goes well.

I am still feeling much better and have been getting on with things. I have been making an effort to get out more during the day and to see my friends, and plan some fun things, rather than just staying at home doing lots of housework. I think if I am truthful, this episode has been building for a long time, with me isolating myself and thinking I didn't deserve to be happy or enjoy things.

Please let me know how you are. Many thanks.

Love J xxx:bighug1::bighug1:

Ccat
03-10-13, 10:56
Hi J

That is so good to hear. It does you so much good to get out the house.

I had a friend round yesterday who i hadn't seen for months. It was nice- and i thanked her for being patient with me- as we were meant to meet in the summer and i just couldn't as i couldn't cope.

Sending you a hug. I am so pleased this medication suits you .

love, Cat xxx

Her Indoors
03-10-13, 11:47
:bighug1:Hi Cat,

Glad to hear you had your friend round, I'm sure she understood why you couldn't see her until you felt better. I used to make arrangements, then couldn't cope and would have to back out, so can relate to that.

My very best wishes to you, hope you are feeling better too.

Love J xxx:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

Her Indoors
04-10-13, 14:03
Hi Everyone,

Just to say that I have now stopped taking Sertraline after tapering down over a number of weeks on the Consultant's instruction. I think it is a very good medication and it helped me to sleep, but unfortunately didn't really help at all for the anxiety and depression. I am now taking a combo of Trimipramine and Pregabalin and this is working very well for me. I shall now post on the Pregabalin thread and would be happy to share my experiences with anyone struggling. This site helped me so much and the people who post on it are so caring and helpful, so thank you for your replies, it meant so much to me.

My very best wishes.

J xxx:bighug1::bighug1::bighug1:

MrAndy
04-10-13, 14:28
onwards and upwards
glad to hear your doing well :)

Ccat
04-10-13, 14:56
Hiya again J

I am so pleased that combination is working for you.:yesyes:

I am ok - ish- thanks but i seem very tired all the time though ( even when i've slept well) and get a lot of tingling in hands and feet- but i have found out i have a vitamin d deficiency- so this might have caused some problems.

Hope you still "pop in" to this forum even though you aren't on sert anymore.

love and :hugs: to you

Cat xxx

Her Indoors
04-10-13, 18:35
Hi Cat,

Sorry to hear you are feeling so tired, perhaps now it has been discovered you are deficient in vitamin D you can be given a supplement to help you with this (or perhaps a sunny holiday, isn't the sun good for vitamin D?). I will have to content myself with a sit in the back garden, weather permitting, it has been pants here lately, very wet and we had a thunder storm last night.

Hi Andy, hope you are feeling better after your blip, thanks for your messages.

Hope the Sertraline is working out for you both. Best wishes.