PDA

View Full Version : Now scared to take them....

HollyM
05-06-13, 20:02
Heard/read so many story's about becoming addicted to diazapam, I'm now terrified to take them! I have 28 tablets 5mg started on citalopram 8 days ago doctor advised me to take diazapam as and when needed. Initially was too scared to take them, I split the tablets in half so I'm taking 2.5mg out of the pack I've had 3 whole tablets in total (but split in half) I don't want to become addicted :( is it wise to not take them? Please some one help x

steveo
05-06-13, 20:04
It's fine to take them. Just don't take too many or for longer than 4 weeks.

kittikat
05-06-13, 20:56
Don't be scared Holly, diazepam definitely has it's place in the treatment of anxiety and to help during the start up of your meds. I think we were all just trying to warn you of the long term dangers...I have been on them daily for 18 months now although I have managed to reduce from 12mg a day down to 7mg a day without many of the problems steveo has experienced. I even still take an odd extra one if I am having a really bad day ;) but I am continuing my taper and determined to be off them by the end of this year. I will then use them 'as & when' only in emergency.

Initially they helped me through a very bad time so as long as you use them sparingly and only when you really feel like you can't cope, they will definitely help you. I am sure your GP will be monitoring you anyway. Don't feel bad and suffer because you are scared now, you will be fine using them 'as & when' :hugs: xx

Peter Pan
06-06-13, 16:38
Hello holly
i was exactly the same with diazepam 5mg splitting them, until a panic attack of extreme magnitude hit me out of nowhere, so uncontrolable that the fear of taking them went out the window i took one and within 15 to 20 mins i was calm as can be, kittikat & Steveo are right, after a while i was only taking them when massive panic attacks occurred, you'll be fine honestly holly.

Hope you get well soon xx

AlexandriaUK
06-06-13, 18:18
I agree don't be put off as kitti kat said we were just saying that if you take them daily for a long time they are hard to kick, you are using them to get you settled their is n o harm in that.

Lawton86
06-06-13, 20:45
Could I add to this please.....

I started taking diazepam on sunday......had 8mg , then on Monday I spoke to doctor and said I felt them work abit but not as much as I would like, so he said to take 5mg 3X a day and then gave me 41 2mg tablets aswell so I could use them when I didn't think 5mg was needed. Problem is I read something last night about diazepam and addiction and it scared me abit.......so today I have gone back down to 9mg today. I had a great morning this morning but at about 5pm with only 4mg in me I started to feel them worrys and feel low and empty etc etc. I know people say don't take it for long and stuff......but im that scared now after 3 days of taking it im already starting to taper myself off .lol. I am no on any ssri but have started therapy. SSRI give me bad side effects. the diazepam does work tho! should I be as worried as I am about it and are all the storys really just 'horror' storys ?

if anybody reads on drugs.com review of diazepam you can read lots of peoples reviews for anxiety and 99% of the people regard it as a wonder drug and some are on it years......

I don't know what to do.....lol, 15mg a day or try cut it down but get them edgy feelings. At moment today ive done 2mg morning, 2mg dinner, 5mg evening......havent took the 5 yet :P

steveo
06-06-13, 21:03
There are 2 sides to this. They are 100% a 'wonder drug'. They REALLY do work. They made me feel great in January. I only took them as and when. Not alot. No more than 2mg at a time either.

The other side of this is that they are evil drugs, and I'm now experiencing this.

Since February this year, I've only been taking 2x 2mg a day morning and night and maybe sometimes another 2mg in the day. Did this for 3 months. Then started to lower my dose. I realised that after a few months of daily use, they no longer worked.

It's not a horror story. It's true. People shouldn't taking diazepam daily for more than 4 weeks. Our bodies quickly build up a tolerance so they no longer work effectively but we can't stop taking them as our bodies have now adjusted our chemical levels because of them.

Please don't use diazepam as an SSRI. I am now in a world of pure hell because of taking the diazepam for so many months, even though it was only 4mg a day.

I am really suffering whilst trying to withdraw. The tablets no longer do anything for me.

This isn't a horror story. I'm just like you probably. Underlying anxiety and panic. I'm a physically healthy 28 year old male in good shape. I don't smoke or drink. I don't have addictions of any sort. I'm not addicted to diazepam. I just can't stop taking them otherwise I will suffer really badly. I am slowly tapering off and it's NOT PLEASANT!

2-4 weeks of daily use is the maximum. Any longer and the tablets will lose their effect and you will need to increase your dose to feel anything. And then you won't be able to just STOP taking. The higher the dose you take now, the more trouble you are going to have in the long run.

PLEASE use diazepam with caution. They are fine for short term use!! Please don't end up in my situation.

katyjohnstone
06-06-13, 21:05
I have been on 2mg dizapam three times a day for the last 2 weeks while my new meds kick in and they have helped me so much. I take them when the aniexty and panic gets really bad it helps keep it at a manageable level please don't be scared to take them they can help until your meds kick in