PDA

View Full Version : Will i be addicted? Will it come back?

Lawton86
06-06-13, 11:29
hi guys

after a recent return of bad anxiety , I have had to have 4 weeks off work. doctor has tried me with 2 ssri's but seemed to get side effects which I didn't like. We then decided to wait fir cbt therapy. In last 4 weeks I have been using alcohol to combat the anxiety. 4 cans of lager and maybe 1 or 2 glasses of wine and ill start drinking about dinner time.

So I told the doctor I was scared of getting an alcohol problem and is there nothing I can take that will make me feel like alcohol but actually not be drinking. He said yes and told me about diazepam. I have had diazepam before twice in last 5 years of anxiety but never dared take it, but this time I did. I had 7 2mg tablets. I took 4 of them on sunday. I then rang the doctor up on Monday and said I think they do work but the dosage seems to be abit weak and I still feel on edge . So he has up'ed them to 5mg 3 times a day for a week, then going down to 2mg 3 tmes a day for a week. problem is im scared that I have took 5mg 3x a day for last 3 days and now my body will already be addicted??? im considering today maybe trying to take 2mg in morning and dinner and the 5mg on evening to relax and sleep?

am I just over reacting because ive literally been on them for 3 days? lol

---------- Post added at 11:29 ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 ----------

anyone? :)

Annie0904
06-06-13, 11:45
As long as you are only taking them for a short time they will be fine. Since you are reducing them after 1 week I wouldn't be worried about it.

southey
09-06-13, 20:22
I don't think you will be physically addicted in such a small space of time but the mental relief the Diazepam gives may be harder to give up if you just go back to how you were?

The thing I found with Diazepam is that I needed to try to take it only if really, really needed as I find the anti-anxiety effect very, very nice and if faced with a pile of tablets could see me slipping into taking them more and more.

As it is my doc only gives me them now and then so they are saved for those extreme anxiety attacks or special occasions when going out when otherwise without them the event would be a non-starter.

The tablets do nothing for me when not in a state of worry/anxiety, thought I should add that?

Steve.

steveo
09-06-13, 22:40
I couldn't agree more with what Southey says!

It's very easy to simply slip into the habit of popping one each time you're a tiny bit anxious. Use them with caution.