PDA

View Full Version : Waking up from sleep in the middle of the night with a panic attack

Sally4x
06-06-13, 15:21
Hi,

This used to happen to me a lot, but hasn't in ages. It happened last night and was the worst it has ever been. I went to sleep about midnight and an hour and a half later awoke and was disorientated, petrified I was dying. I couldn't breathe and was light headed and my heart was racing. I also had a headache which I still have today. It took me hours to calm down and go back to sleep because I was afraid it would happen again and I was convinced I was dying.

Has anyone else got experience of this and what can I do to stop it happening?

Sally

Stormsky
06-06-13, 15:26
I used to get it a lot, once you get your Anx under control it will die off

PanchoGoz
06-06-13, 15:43
Been having this a lot recently, keep waking up feeling mental and for some reason wanting to die. I don't feel like that in the morning though thankfully. Nothing to do about it except get your adrenaline levels down.

meche
06-06-13, 15:52
Hi Sally - just replied to another post of yours about headaches but I used to suffer with this too. Infact, this is what triggered my anxiety in the first place. Jerking awake in a panic, feeling disorientated and detached from reality and petrified of going back to sleep. I have no easy answers to get rid of it because mine lasted a while because I was so highly anxious. It wasn't until my anxiety levels dropped (weeks later) that I was able to sleep soundly. All I can advise is work on trying to relax more at night and don't force sleep. It will get better. xx

Sally4x
06-06-13, 16:01
Thanks - this is what kick started my anxiety sixteen years ago as well. The first time it happened I went to A and E and because I was pregnant they treated me as if I had a blood clot just in case. It later was diagnosed I had infact experienced my first panic attack. I has them a lot but not for a few years now. Last night was seriously the worst ever and I am exhausted and recovering today. Very scared of going to sleep tonight.

Sally

Regina
06-06-13, 16:35
This happened to me last night as well. First I couldn't sleep because of adrenaline and so I actually exercised to try to get it out. When I finally fell asleep, I woke a few hours later in the same state. It seems continuous. I have no idea how to calm it down. Tried meditations and soft music but whenever I wake up it's the same sensation. Hoping to hear how others get their physical symptoms to calm down.

x Regina

meche
06-06-13, 17:01
Hugs to you both. For me personally my physical symptoms didn't stop until my mind was calmer. The more I thought about stuff that scared me the worse my symptoms became. At one stage I didn't sleep for 3 days because I was petrified of waking up in that familiar state of panic. I was delirious! My doctor put me on diazepam for a week so that I could at least get a proper sleep. Once I came off the diazepam I felt calmer and gradually the night attacks stopped. I've never been on medication since but it was the kick start I needed to get a grip on it.

Regina; I know you said meditation didn't work for you but even today I rely on a hypnotic recording to help me relax at night. I didn't 'get it' at first but I stuck with it and now it has become a nightly ritual for me. Even my partner who has never had anxiety issues finds it helpful.

aggiecuttler
06-06-13, 17:27
i have had this and its nasty, i always watch something on my phone to calm down it does help as a distraction if you have a partner i suggest sound off!!! blessings

Mrs Anxious
07-06-13, 08:44
I Absoloutely understand what u are going through I had this not last night but the night before, I went to sleep and then at 3am my yes pinged open and I was wide awake, my heart was racing and I got scared this then starte the pani attack I couldn't calm down even after I had taken 2mg Valium it's horrible and seems much more scary at night last nights took 2mg Valium before I went to bed to try and calm me down I totally empathise with you, take care xxxx

Regina
08-06-13, 06:57
I have to say that I have stuck with the hypnosis recordings on the ipod at night and it has begun to help a bit. When it's bad, it's darned near impossible to focus on anything, but during the less severe ones before the adrenaline kicks in fully, it's helped me focus on calming back down. I continue to wake up suddenly, but it seems better the last few nights, so thank you for the suggestion! :)

mandshere2000
08-06-13, 07:26
Hi all
So glad this subject has come up and I don't feel so alone now
I have been suffering with this for the last few years, and I never fall
asleep properly before 4/5 am and my waking always seems to happen
about 45 minutes after dropping off
I seem to be in this cycle now of being scared to fall asleep at a normal
time, I feel so embarrassed because most of my posts are always asking
in the early hours if anyone's awake so I can chat by this time I'm usually
shaking and so scared with depersonalisation and my heart racing
I also so find the less sleep I have the more anxious I feel in the morning:scared15:
could anyone recommend any good relaxation recordings etc I could try
Manda

skw1208
10-06-13, 04:14
I'm off to see my gp about this tomorrow. I've had enough!
Thanks for posting this question. There are some great tips/hints that are worth trying to.

lesleya
10-06-13, 07:24
hi
Isnt it strange we both woke up about the same time with same anxiety...i replied to another post around the same time as yourself

I haven't posted for a long long time...ive been doing pretty well I suppose and so very grateful for doing ok too....but had a lot to deal with over the last year and I thought I was coping ok but now hubbys hasn't been too well over the last week and i think its just of catching up with me and biting me big time on the bum.
Thing is i feel totally exhausted running up and downstairs, changing bedding every few hours etc etc. I'd never tell him how tired I am as hed feel guilty. But tonight I eventually fell asleep about half hour after midnight and woke up with a start about half two feeling like I was still asleep if you know what i mean, I felt like I wasn't breathing then i felt so hot and then shaky....i suffer from reflux as well but don't know if thats any reason for it. I start to feel like im going to calm down a bit then as I am calming I panic myself because I am and then off I go again in a vicious circle....I know its irrational but that doesn't always help me.
The only thing that does help me now and has helped me cope with my anxiety over the years is that when I start to panic I tell myself off by saying ''look you stupid woman'' how many times have you felt like this...now whats the worst thing thats going to happen...this is probably as bad as im going to feel this time...nothing bad happened to me last time and i felt just like i do now...so why should anything happen this time ? .and then after a little while I normally start calming bit by bit over about an hour then it eventually passes.....which its doing now
hope your feeling better now
x

mummyanxious
16-06-13, 02:53
I've had variant of this tonight. Couldn't get to sleep for skipped heartbeats, finally fell asleep about 1 and was awoken about an hour later by the feeling that something was strangling me. My tongue felt wierd like I had no control over it and couldn't make sounds properly (though I could if that makes sense) and my throat just constantly felt like someone had their hands round it. It was in waves. Never completely going, but easing and then spasming again. I tried to stay calm and eventually now it's passing I think. I was shaking like a leaf too. But funnily my heart was only going about 80-85bpm. Is this panic?

---------- Post added at 02:53 ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 ----------

Also felt like I was suffocating.

Evilenko
16-06-13, 05:57
I'm guessing this symptom is common to all of us. It's so terrifying, the minute you close your eyes and REM starts it feels like you can't breathe and your heart is going to stop. I truly hope you feel better soon Manda, I'm trying to cope with it by keeping in mind that I won't die and this is only a panic attack, and it's gradually working as a matter of fact.