PDA

View Full Version : Flickering Vision - Panic!

mel78
03-10-06, 00:35
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I had two episodes of what I've since been told were "visual migraine." - although i've yet to have this confirmed by a neurologist. Basically my entire field of vision started flickering - and it lasted a couple of minutes.

Of course, the experience TOTALLY freaked me out. All of the ususal thoughts came to mind (brain tumor, ms, you name it)....

Since then I've developed some other symptoms, which are not helping my state of mind. On occasion (more often than not) when I wake up in the morning, my vision notably flickers untill I make an effort to focus on something, then the flickering goes. Also, I notice that the flicker from the TV, computer monitor, etc is a LOT more noticable. Even when I went to the cinema yesterday I could notice the sides of the screen flickering when I focused in the centre of the screen. Its quite freaky. I also notice flicker when I go into shops or buildings which have certain kinds of florescent lighting (although thankfully not in the office where I work)!

Its important to say that I am definately "a worrier" and have been pre-occupied by this for a number of weeks now. I am going to see a neurologist but it will likely be weeks before I get an appointment. Had my eyes tested by opticion last week and was told they were fine.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Thanks!

Panic1971
03-10-06, 07:35
Hi Mel78

I get the flickering vision on the computer screen and television also. I feel when I panic, my vision gets 'locked' and I stare (hope that makes sense). I also look at things, and they dont look quite right. This really freaks my out and makes me panic even more.

I suffer from really bad headaches and carry a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders. I went to the doctors who told me it could be migraines caused by stress but asked me to get my eyes tested also. I went to the opticians who said everything looked fine and to make another appt with my doctor if I wasnt happy with my headaches. As I was so worried it was a brain tumour etc I asked my doctor to refer me privately for a MRI scan. As I had to pay for the scan, I had an appt within 1 week. I had the MRI scan and after over 2 weeks wait for the results they thankfully came back normal. I thought this would stop me having the headaches, but unfortunately it hasnt.

mel78
05-10-06, 13:38
thanks for that 1971. I've actually noticed that a lot of people on this site seem to have symptoms similar to mine. Its quite reassuring. Its strange the tricks the mind can play on the body. Of course, the problem is that knowing (or suspecting) its just the mind, does not seem to help!

leanne1980
05-10-06, 14:40
Hi
i have exactly the same, ihave suffered with optical migraines since i had my son, its horrible, ive also noticed i mainly get them when im due on, my i had it mildly yesterday, i was changing my bed sheet my mattress has lots of lines on it and it started my eyes off, i have read that thats quite comman, also u can get them alot from the glare of the sun,
i also had my eyes tested last week, and mine were fine, i asked the optician about brain tumors and he said if there were a tumor causing this he would be able 2 see it, i dunno if u have otehr symptoms but i dont suffer with headaches, i just get the eye flickering,, mine last about 10-15 mins, a friend of mine also suffers with it.

take care
leanne

i just wanna feel normal

r1nutter
21-06-08, 18:29
hi, i have been suffering these vision problems for the last 6 years, it all starting when i was riding my bike down a country lane and was dazzled by the reflection of the sun on a car rear screen, i got a sort of a aura flickering in the centre of my vision, this off course made me panic a bit so i pulled over, my vision aura then stated to spread and ended up around the outside of my eyes leaving me with tunnel vision, i took ibuprofen and afer about 30 mins my eyes went back to normal, this was only after i had to cover my face so i was in complete darkness, anyway when it went i thought that was the end of it, but i,ve been getting similar auras since, most at the moment are triggered by stress or staring at something or getting dazzled by the sun, i to have been to the docs, he told me they sounded like vision migraines, for the first 5 years i never got a headache after this, but just recently i have been getting a splitting headache afer the aura has gone, i went to the optitions six times in six months as i suspected something bad, but they said my eyes where fine, so i went back to the doctors ,he got me an appointment with a neurologist, he ticked my feet with a comb thing, tested my reflexes and said my brains fine, i was a bit worried as i had no idea my brain was in my foot, lol...any way the doc said that the vision migraines are caused by a archery narrowing, he prescribed naratriptan 2.5 mg tabs, i havent got round to taking them yet as when i get a migraine, i,ve either left them in my jacket,car or at home, i have a bit of a aura around the outside of my eyes now as i write this, i find it gets worst when i go outside or look towards the window, i was just about to take a tablet, then i read the side effects and it put me off, so i think i,ll stick with ibuprofen and i know they work, hope this helps, it deffinetly worrying though i must admit, i,m glad in a nice way that i,m not alone i,n suffering from this, cheers, ian

r1nutter
21-06-08, 18:33
:yesyes:sorry about my spelling mistates, didnt read though before posting it, lol

Trixie
22-06-08, 06:49
That can be a bit scary the first time it happens. It was a Sunday when I experienced it. I had just been to get the newspaper and was just making myself a cup of coffee when I started to get these gold zig-zags in my left eye.

It went on for 20mins and to be honest I thought I might be having a stroke (I thought this because every one in my family have either had a CVA or cardiac problems).

Anyway I went over to casualty and the doctor said it was an optical migraine once I knew what it was I was OK. Touch wood it was the only one I had ever had.

tHamera
22-06-08, 15:39
hi, i have been suffering these vision problems for the last 6 years, it all starting when i was riding my bike down a country lane and was dazzled by the reflection of the sun on a car rear screen, i got a sort of a aura flickering in the centre of my vision, this off course made me panic a bit so i pulled over, my vision aura then stated to spread and ended up around the outside of my eyes leaving me with tunnel vision, i took ibuprofen and afer about 30 mins my eyes went back to normal, this was only after i had to cover my face so i was in complete darkness, anyway when it went i thought that was the end of it, but i,ve been getting similar auras since, most at the moment are triggered by stress or staring at something or getting dazzled by the sun, i to have been to the docs, he told me they sounded like vision migraines, for the first 5 years i never got a headache after this, but just recently i have been getting a splitting headache afer the aura has gone, i went to the optitions six times in six months as i suspected something bad, but they said my eyes where fine, so i went back to the doctors ,he got me an appointment with a neurologist, he ticked my feet with a comb thing, tested my reflexes and said my brains fine, i was a bit worried as i had no idea my brain was in my foot, lol...any way the doc said that the vision migraines are caused by a archery narrowing, he prescribed naratriptan 2.5 mg tabs, i havent got round to taking them yet as when i get a migraine, i,ve either left them in my jacket,car or at home, i have a bit of a aura around the outside of my eyes now as i write this, i find it gets worst when i go outside or look towards the window, i was just about to take a tablet, then i read the side effects and it put me off, so i think i,ll stick with ibuprofen and i know they work, hope this helps, it deffinetly worrying though i must admit, i,m glad in a nice way that i,m not alone i,n suffering from this, cheers, ian

Hey i had this exact same thing a couple of years ago (i still get them on the rare occasion), and my doctor told me it was an 'optical migrane'. i wast totally baffled by this at first but after doing some research i figured out thats what it was. what also crazy is that mine started just like yours - a bright reflection, looking at a bright light momentarily, etc..with the light source 'burned' into the center of your eye, spreading out toward the sides of the eye, followed by light headedness, and tunnel vision.

like i said, for some reason mine just went away on their own.

Liverbird67
22-06-08, 16:55
I had this back in August last year at work, I actually lost vision in my eye for ages, went over to AED and was convinced I was dying of a stroke or something because my face started to tingle.

Any way they ECG'd me fine, BP fine a bit high because I was panicking.

Saw a 12 year old dr whom said done the reflexs and touch tests etc when I explained he just laughed and said oh I get these they are optical migraines they scare the hell out of you the first time don't they. I got a bit annoyed and said but I don't get headaches, apparently I have spoken to a few people since and you don't have to have a headache when you suffer from migraine how bizarre is that, apparently some peoples vision is affected, some get strange tastes and smells, or touch sensations, tingles and all sorts of bizarre symtoms! I am not a dr or anything I would suggest if anyone bothered by anything like this should have a word with their doc to put their mind at rest.

Its a strange world we live in no bloomin wonder we get anxious

Take care

Debbie

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Trixie
22-06-08, 18:11
I had this back in August last year at work, I actually lost vision in my eye for ages, went over to AED and was convinced I was dying of a stroke or something because my face started to tingle.

Any way they ECG'd me fine, BP fine a bit high because I was panicking.

Saw a 12 year old dr whom said done the reflexs and touch tests etc when I explained he just laughed and said oh I get these they are optical migraines they scare the hell out of you the first time don't they. I got a bit annoyed and said but I don't get headaches, apparently I have spoken to a few people since and you don't have to have a headache when you suffer from migraine how bizarre is that, apparently some peoples vision is affected, some get strange tastes and smells, or touch sensations, tingles and all sorts of bizarre symtoms! I am not a dr or anything I would suggest if anyone bothered by anything like this should have a word with their doc to put their mind at rest.

Its a strange world we live in no bloomin wonder we get anxious

Take care

Debbie

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When I had that optical migraine I didn't get a headache at all.

sarah peacock
07-09-08, 15:43
I have noticed this happening to me quite alot recently. mainly in my peripheral vision. also a few wks ago when i was making tea my vision went all funny in my right eye like a shimmery sort of effect. it gradually got bigger and then i started to see loads of flashing colours then it moved around to my peripheral vision. it lasted for about 20 minutes then it went away. i went to the hospital as i was having a huge panic attack by this point and the doctor said every thing was fine. then about 10 minutes after i seen the doctor it happened again in my left eye but alot worse. i could hardly see at all and when it moved to my peripheral vision all i could see was bright red and blue. again it only lasted about 20 minutes. the doctor double checked my eyes for me to reassure me and said they are fine but i should see an optician. i still wasn't convinced though because the doctor didn't seem to know what was happening. i worry all the time that it is going to happen again.but i am starting to think now that maybe it is just my anxiety. i also worry that maybe i'm going to have a stroke or maybe i have a brain tumor as i also get shocks through my head.

owainm
07-09-08, 17:52
Hi sarah firstly did your doctor not mention the possibility of migraine with aura, I have suffered from this and your symptoms match exactly what happens in these attacks, the crucial factor is of course is if you have a pounding headache after these flashing episodes if you do then this is most certainly what is happening to you, I hope this can be of some help to you bye for now Owain

lesleya
07-09-08, 18:09
I get optical migraine too...flashing zig-zag lights in my left eye. Scared me the first time it happened. I cant see a thing out of my left eye while ive got the flashes.
The best thing i find for me is to close my eyes to block out the light for 10 or 15 mins or if i can sit or lie in a darkened room, and it nomally goes within 20 minutes.
Hope you find a way to help you get some ease.
Take care
xxx

sarah peacock
08-09-08, 10:39
well i was looking at something that describes aura migrains yesterday and i think thats what it is. i do get a headache afterwards that lasts for a couple of days but it's only mild. i feel it mainly when i cough. also when it happens to me i can still see the flickering lights with my eyes closed.

honeybee3939
08-09-08, 13:40
Hi

I had this a couple of times also last week, the first time it happened it really scared me, but went away after about 20mins. I felt so tiered the 2 days it happened (lack of sleep) i put it down to that. On the first occasion i was watching TV and the second i was at work on the pc so not sure if it was something to do with my eyes feeling strained.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

coffeegirl
09-09-08, 02:32
Hi all, I stumbled upon this site by googling flickering vision :huh: and looking at the type of site and subjects in the left menu, I think I could belong here much more than I imagined and for much more reasons than flickering vision :blush: so I'll have a better look around but this morning my eyes went all funny and I couldn't read the computer monitor, patches of white. So after 5min couldn't take anymore so got up to give my eyes a rest and made some soup. Then they started shimmering/flickering, kinda like a heat mirage vision you would see in the desert. It got gradually worse and lasted about 15min. Then my eyes were okay, just sore. I have turned the contrast and brightness right down on the monitor. Now I can feel a headache coming on.

I dont recall having this before and of course imagine all the worst case scenarios (there are other people like me????????????:yesyes:) but then I do recall a few years ago I went thru a phase of this happening to me and one time it went into a full blown migrane. I dont really suffer from migrane so it was all a new experience to me but come to think of it I recall having vision flickering and headaches over a period of a month or two.

Hopefully it's just a once off.
Now off to check these other forums................self esteem, ibs, phobias.......oh dear I think I have found a forum I belong!! I feel like such a misfit at times :winks:

Catalyst
02-05-09, 12:04
I got here from typing in 'flickering eye' too! Just thought I'd share my experience of migraine with aura while I'm here...

I was in the supermarket and I picked up a packet to read the information on it. All the words were blurry in the centre of my vision. Over the next 5 minutes my vision went downhill fast! The worst bit was that every person I looked at appeared to have no face details, as they just blurred. Panic :scared15:

When I closed my eyes, I saw flashing coloured lights. My vision then started to 'ripple' like there was a film of water moving over my eyes. Can't explain it any better than that. My husband took me to A&E as I was now convinced I was seriously ill! They asked me if I'd ever had migraines (No - stupid question as I didn't even have a headache! :shrug: )

Anyway, after tests and discussion with the doc it turns out it WAS a classic case of migraine with aura. The headache did come about 30 mins later, but I gather you don't always get that bit.

Back to the flickering eye thing... stress and tiredness would make sense to me right now. That's probably it.

mel78
22-01-10, 15:51
Its been a while, but I thought I should close this one off, in case anybody is reading in future. I was referred to a Neurologist who immediately suspected migraine (without the headache). He sent me for an MRI scan which came back totally fine. I've had very, very few re-occurrence since I started the original thread (though sometimes my vision does flicker a little when I wake first thing in the morning).

So all was fine in the end - even if it was a scary thing to have happen. Of course I wouldn't be nearly so worried about it now :)

rozie
22-01-10, 17:57
As a veteran migraine sufferer I can tell you that this sounds very like Migraine to me. I get the classic visual aura and after thirty years, I have it down to a fine art now..in the sense that in all that time, I have rarely actually had a headache!

The migraine takes a particular pattern (pardon the pun) The aura comes first, then without medication, the pain will kick in and then sickness. Different people have different variations on this. The reason I'm rambling on about all this is to hopefully reassure you. The first time my eyes went funny my field of vision actually looked like a flicker tv screen with really bad reception. I was really young and travelling on the underground at the time and well you can imagine the panic!.....

It turned out that my Mum had also had migraine years before and she recognised the symptoms instantly. when I eventually fell in the front door looking green and convinced I was dying.

Hopeyour medical appointment is helpful.Its best to let them check you out. But I hope in the meantime this allays your fears a little.

Very best

Rozie

Going home
22-01-10, 21:55
I've also started to notice this flickering vision recently, though only usually in my right eye. The usual thing for me are eyelid twitches, again mostlyy in the right eye. I don't get the zigzags but can remember one or two episodes of them in the past. I do get migraines sometimes but would never have thought there was a connection with the flickering vision...just goes to show you :)

GH xx

rozie
22-01-10, 22:00
Yes it always starts in just one eye for me too.

nowisgood
15-10-10, 00:54
Hi,

It was great to read your stories and understand that what I just experienced was a vision migraine......I have just recently retired at 65 after many years of stress related work and I'm learning slowly to relax, walk the dog and laugh etc.

The migraine happened when I was playing scrabble with my daughter and I was putting pressure on myself when all of a sudden my vision went all flickering with zigzag like lines flashing across at the edges of my vision. It lasted about 3 minutes and was not painful at all just frightening.

Reading your experiences helped alot and I am sure that this is "stress" related for me.....

So here's to more relaxing and enjoyment of life WITHOUT the pressure.

Good luck all.
Kind regards
Allison

stevenr1986
23-02-12, 15:56
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I had two episodes of what I've since been told were "visual migraine." - although i've yet to have this confirmed by a neurologist. Basically my entire field of vision started flickering - and it lasted a couple of minutes.

Of course, the experience TOTALLY freaked me out. All of the ususal thoughts came to mind (brain tumor, ms, you name it)....

Since then I've developed some other symptoms, which are not helping my state of mind. On occasion (more often than not) when I wake up in the morning, my vision notably flickers untill I make an effort to focus on something, then the flickering goes. Also, I notice that the flicker from the TV, computer monitor, etc is a LOT more noticable. Even when I went to the cinema yesterday I could notice the sides of the screen flickering when I focused in the centre of the screen. Its quite freaky. I also notice flicker when I go into shops or buildings which have certain kinds of florescent lighting (although thankfully not in the office where I work)!

Its important to say that I am definately "a worrier" and have been pre-occupied by this for a number of weeks now. I am going to see a neurologist but it will likely be weeks before I get an appointment. Had my eyes tested by opticion last week and was told they were fine.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Thanks!

i get this almost constantly, it really annoys me, i have a dr appointment tomorrow, i also suffer migraines so it HAS TO BE CONNECTED as before the migraines i did not suffer, its been a while since this post so i was wondering if anyone had an outcome of definite reason for this?

outofideas
23-03-18, 01:12
My mother has been dealing with her eyes flickering up and down for almost a year now. We have been to numerous ENT's, Eye specialists and Neurosurgeons with no answers. She doesn't have headaches, and her neck doesn't bother her but she has a full feeling in the back of her skull. She has had MRI, CT and X-ray and they have all come back ok. If anybody has any ideas, would greatly appreciate them.