PDA

View Full Version : should i take my medication ??

elouise86
07-06-13, 07:39
hi im 26yr old mom with 3 kids have had panic attacks for nearly 7 years now but peak on and off currently going through a bad stage were feel like cant even leave the house , dr put me on propranol but i wont take them as when was on them befor i felt they made me worst , i have enrolled for college this september but im worried my panic attacks are going to throw me of course , what else can i do to control my panic attacks instead of medication really want to get out of this rut that im in were i get wrked up as soon as i go out my front door :(

Lilharry
07-06-13, 08:00
Propranolol slows your heart rate down and can help some people with their panic attacks, but if it makes you feel worse it doesn't seem like the right drug for you. There are lots of other drugs you could try - sometimes it just takes a bit of time finding the right one for you.

Instead of medication you can try things like counselling and CBT, which are really really helpful. There is no quick fix for this, it will take time and effort on your part, but well worth it for the results.

I read a great line the other day that you can ask yourself to try and calm yourself down when having a panic attack, it was something like: "Am I in imminent danger?" It's supposed to help bring you back to earth and rationalise your thoughts.

setfree
10-06-13, 01:30
I would suggest not to take more medication. Some people experience even more depression and anxiety from their medications. It can cause even more scary thoughts.

Here is a technique I just love:

Close your eyes.
Put your hand on your heart.
Imagine a simple light glowing in your heart.
And think of one thing to be grateful. Just one. Do this for five minutes straight and don't open up your eyes.

You'll find yourself feeling different and much more relaxed.

As you walk outside, don't think of anything. Shift your mind into nothignness and just relax. Believe it or not, just thinking of something else can help make your anxiety less strong when they come hitting.

dreamies
10-06-13, 02:01
Hi, I was in that situation too!

When I enrolled at college for my A levels I told them I had Panic attacks, they put me with a support mentor, i'm sure the college you are going to will have something similar. At first I genuinally didnt like the idea and thought people might presume I had a learning disability or something however I couldn't have been more wrong.

Her name was Amanda and she was brilliant, she informed all the tutors of my situation and everyone of them agreed to let me sit near the door (just a personal preference incase I needed to get out). If I felt a panic attack coming on I would just quietly leave the room without disturbing anyone until I could calm myself down, if I couldn't then I would simply message her and she'd come to my rescue!

Most college's also have a counsellor which help loads too!

One tip I can give you is to put a thin rubber band around your wrist, when you feel a panic attack coming on just pull it so that it twinges and hurts a little bit, obviously don't do it too hard lol but it breaks your concentration and trail of thought, it may not work for you but has helped me A LOT!

Whatever you do let people know about your panic attacks, it will make you feel much more at ease!

I hope some of this helps and good luck!!! xxxx