PDA

View Full Version : Scared to return to work

Regina
08-06-13, 15:58
Hi everyone,
Well, in the past week I've been diagnosed with severe Panic Disorder. My GP gave me a week off from work to start medications and to try to get it under control, but my employers have no details as to why I have been out, just that it's medical reasons. My week is up now and I'll have to go back and face their questions.

My employers are not the most sensitive in the world and I'm not sure how explicit I should be about my condition. How much should I keep to myself? Work was the reason I had my first real severe attack and I'm also frightened that being back there will cause an attack.

Another issue is that I'll have to be on sedatives while I'm there, and while in the past months as this has been worsening, my concentration and performance have been off already and one of my bosses saw me become dizzy and sent me to the doctor. So, how have any of you broached the subject of this condition with your work places? From the posts I have found on this subject, it seems most have understanding bosses. Any suggestions??

~Regina

Col
08-06-13, 19:29
Personally I would be very honest so they know exactly how serious my condition is and the medication I'm on.

I would be worried about being branded a nutter or crazy BUT I think a hard boss = thorough, to the point explanation. So you know exactly where you stand and what to do if things then become more difficult.

Best wishes Collette

Regina
09-06-13, 06:16
Thank you for your thoughts. To be completely honest, I am worried about being labeled and treated differently in a negative way and I've been unsure of how to explain this in a way they will accept. I will need time off for therapy and the psychiatrist as well which never goes over well. Even people close to me who I've told have no idea how to respond and tell me to just relax! So, I will be as explicit as I can be about it and hope that they do indeed recognize it as a serious condition.

Col
09-06-13, 09:17
Fingers crossed Regina x

I was just thinking about how difficult it is for you right now and as i mentioned I would be worried about the stigma attached BUT they need to know and I'd proberbly open the conversation with..... Reluctantly I tell u this information due to the stigma attached to my illness but, I desperately need to tell you how severe it is for me right now - so here goes.......

Confidentiality ........ Also on these grounds if your buisness does leak out or u after telling you boss u get branded crazy etc - I'd consider legal/work union & medical advice on these matters.
Im not sure how it works in the USA ?

Takecare xx