PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks and pets

roariamalion
09-06-13, 09:58
I could use some help...a few years ago, I tried to get a cat, I was so excited, but when I got him home, I kept having massive panic attack and I couldn't even stand to be in my own apartment. After a few days the panic attacks continued, so I ended up giving the cat back.

Recently, I felt like I was in a good place and wanted to try to get a cat again, my friend had a cat that needed rehoming, so I was going to take him, but as soon as we started to get his litter box and other things together, I had a panic attack and ran out of my friends house.

All I have ever wanted was a cat, but when I try to bring the cat home, or even get a cat, I have massive panic attacks. Does anyone have any suggestions? Because I am really hating this right now and would love to get over these panic attacks.

Pipkin
09-06-13, 12:24
Hi there,

I've got 2 dogs and went through a very similar experience when I first got them. I honestly thought I'd made an awful mistake. With the support of some great friends on here, I stuck it out and now I wouldn't be without them. It was the best thing I ever did.

I found it was the change of routine that caused it and as soon as I settled into a new routine after a week or so, I was fine. This should be easier with a cat because they pretty much look after themselves. Kittens can be quite hard work though so a young adult may be best.

All I can suggest if you really don't think you'll be able to stick it out is to go to a rehoming shelter and foster a cat for a week or so. There's no pressure for you to keep it and you'll be able to see how you get on. Worth a try?

Good luck

Pip

Annie0904
09-06-13, 19:12
I was the same. After my cat died 3 years ago I decided to get another one. I found one on an internet site and as soon as I arranged to buy him I got really anxious. My husband had to collect him as I was panicking so much. I soon settled down and adore him :) Last December I decided to buy another kitten. I got him home and panicked!! My daughter took him to her house and kept bringing him to visit me. After 2 weeks she brought him and left him here and I soon got used to him being here. I love them so much and they are so therapeutic for me. I am pleased I didn't give up and have kept them.

roariamalion
10-06-13, 04:07
I have had dogs before and was never actually able to get a cat before. I actually have taken care of friends cats, but when I know that they are not in my space and I can leave at any time, I am fine. Once I bring a cat home, I panic. I don't sleep, avoid being home, and cry. All I have ever wanted was a cat since I was never able to have one and my building doesn't allow dogs. How long does it take for the panic to subside? Do you have any tricks to help easy out of these panic attacks?

Stormsky
10-06-13, 06:53
I've always had dogs, long before anxiety..they are great stress relievers.
I have 2 big dogs, ones 9 yrs, ones 6 yrs old... You are never alone when of have a pet...
I did however get both these dogs while I was suffering, had anxiety over caring for them initially, but the love you feel for them takes care of the Anx and you soon overcome it... They are a reason to get up every day .and they reduce stress levels..

Ashley85
10-06-13, 06:59
I've had severe anxiety since getting two kittens. The reason being, I lost my cat last year after a long life. I thought I was ready, and for the most part I am. I just have so much anxiety about them dying. I'm worried about their vet visit this week... because my worst fear is that they have some inherited illness. It's miserable. I just want to allow myself to fully love them... and losing those you love is the worst part of loving someone.

Pipkin
10-06-13, 09:48
Can you work out which part of it is making you anxious? Is it the commitment, the change or the thought of having a cat in the house? If you can get to the bottom of it, that should help you make a decision as to whether you should give it a go and stick it out or focus on something else.

Pip

roariamalion
10-06-13, 18:16
I am pretty sure it is the change of having something in the house. I tend to even have panic attacks if friends spend the night because I am worried that I can't do the things I usually do, but not always.

Pipkin
10-06-13, 19:07
I'm very similar and don't react we'll to change in the house. I found getting the dogs really tough but it's surprising how quickly you get into a new routine. If I can do it, I can't see why you couldn't too.

Pip x

aggiecuttler
10-06-13, 19:25
i am guessing its the responsibility element which is effecting you, maybe you are making to much of a big deal of it, do you have a friend or family member who could be with you when you bring fur baby home it may give you more confidence, good luck pets do help when you are stressed out and down blessings

Stormsky
10-06-13, 19:58
Life is enriched with a pet..
See pic my beautiful boy, I wouldn't be without him...

roariamalion
11-06-13, 02:43
Do you have any suggestions to help the initial panic of it all? Because I would really like to try again, but the panic is crippling.

Ashley85
11-06-13, 05:55
Do you know what you're afraid of? The routine change... or the pet dying?

For me, having lost a childhood pet I had for 18 years... recently getting two kittens has caused my anxiety to soar. Which I didn't expect. I'm worried something will be wrong with them... they have their first vet visit Tuesday. Keep them in your thoughts.

roariamalion
11-06-13, 08:37
It has something to due with the fact that something is in my space. I have always been a very solitary person, but only when I am at home. Outside of my home, I am very social and outgoing. Once my space changes, I panic.

roariamalion
18-06-13, 07:40
So I am thinking of trying to find a cat again, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with the panic?