PDA

View Full Version : ocd horrible thoughts

lizzy9190
03-10-06, 19:25
hello i am 35 and this year i had a below knee amputation due to cancer of the foot. i have coped realy well but now i get terrible thoughts and images about harming people i love so much. it frightens me so much. anyone out there like me?? lizzy

Lynnann
04-10-06, 12:11
Hi Lizzy,

Can't say that I have your thoughts but I do get filled with rage at times! You must be very scared of the thoughts you are having. Did you have counselling after your op? It is a very traumatic experience that leaves behind a lot of mixed emotions! maybe enquire about some counselling, it could help!

Lynnann

miss
28-09-08, 18:00
i have the same and i dont know wht causes them i know i will never act on them but there still there hang in there

alexis
28-09-08, 22:57
Hi Miss, so sorry to hear about your op, did you get advice and councelling before it happened,I have OCD but for different reasons, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

richieshealth
29-09-08, 00:34
Hi, sorry to read about your operation. Maybe you are wanting your love one's to experience your pain and loss, as some form of reasurance. Not wishing that to sound horrible, it's just in most cases if we are close to someone and they have problems we can share the burden and help, in your case your loss is private and personal to you only no matter the support around you. It can't be easy.. I send my best wishes good luck x

claireypoo
29-09-08, 23:24
Hi there

You have been through an extremely traumatic and stressful time. It must have been terrible for you, and hard to adjust too.

I too had thoughts like this when I was at my worst, (i had a very stressful time a few years ago - I had a difficult birth and as a result my daughter was born with severe brain damage) My advice would be go to amazon today and get Claire Weekes "Self help for your nerves". According to her (and lots of other professionals) this is a VERY VERY common thought - a lot of people aren't even able to type it down or discuss it as it is so frightening to them so I admire your courage but please remember random thoughts aren't reality. Her advice is don't try to stop thinking it - think it and realise what it is - a scared thought in a very tired mind. It's powerful not because of it's truth but because we are afraid of it. I read that book over and over and over!!! It helped me no end to know i wasn't alone or losing a my marbles!

I wish you all the very best X
Claire

JasonB
29-09-08, 23:42
Hi Lizzy,

I have experienced what you are currently going through, and I am not suprised to hear you talk about them after such a big traumatic experience.

The good news is that is both common, and completely beatble.

----

The thoughts you are having are just your deepest fears magnified by being overly sensitized to your thoughts and feelings.

Believe it or not, EVERYONE gets these thoughts at some point. Its just that people like you and me attach too much worry and meaning to them compared to everyone else. We are overly sensitive to the thoughts. Everyone else can see them as irrational and stupid, but we begin to worry about them.

I can recommend getting a book called "Overcoming Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" which will help you understand these thoughts, and what causes them.

Also get Essential Help for Your Nerves by Claire Weekes. Both can be picked up cheaply on Amazon.

----

Don;t let these thoughts get you down. They are in no way related to actual intentions or desires. They are just heightened fears fueled by doubt and anxiety.

Peace and Good Luck

Jason