PDA

View Full Version : Question about moles/freckles

Munchlet
09-06-13, 17:57
Hi

I was just wondering is it just changes with moles and freckles etc that need to be checked.

I'm having a bit of a melanoma fear at the minute as well as everything else and I have a mole about the size of a 5p on my thigh, I have had it since I was a small child, it's never changed and the doctor checked it a few years ago and said it was fine, but because it's quite big I keep thinking should I get it removed.

I also have loads of freckles and a few are a bit darker than the rest, again always been like this and are not showing any worrying signs or changes but I can't stop focusing on them.

My doctor is a dermatologist and works at the skin clinic so he knows what to look for and he completely dismissed my mole last time and said it was perfectly harmless but you know what it's like especially this time of year, I keep thinking any moles bigger than the end of a pencil which this is.

Also I was silly when I was younger in the sun and did use sunbeds got burnt a few times. Now I hardly ever go in the sun and when I do I never use less than a factor 30 wear a hat, t shirt etc but because back then we didn't know the dangers I'm worrying about the damage I have done to my skin.

So I was just wondering if they are not changing and have no worrying symptoms do I still need to keep getting them checked or is it only if they are changing?

thanks

KeeKee
09-06-13, 18:35
Hi, I am no expert but I think since you have had it since you were a child plus its been checked I wouldn't worry. I personally would only worry if they changed shape/size (weight gain can cause a little difference in size, I had a small 1 on stomachs when I was pregnant which got bigger. Once my pregnancywas over it remained the same size.
Obviously if you are worried, and removal is an option, personally I would go for it.

Apple81
09-06-13, 18:53
If they're in a place where you catch them easily, or they're very exposed to the sun, then I would consider having them removed. Otherwise, I don't think I would.

I check mine every couple of months and take photos of the oddly shaped ones to compare. My friend's mum is a theatre nurse and that's that what she said to do.