PDA

View Full Version : So fed up

underthemoon
10-06-13, 21:23
Hi guys, I'm a 22 year old female.

I really need someone to talk to about this. I've always been a very anxious person, since I was a child. I had depression in my teens, and had to drop out of college because of it, however when I met my boyfriend who I've now been with nearly 5 years I've been okay. Several down moments, but no feelings of needing to do anything to harm myself etc. I've always gotten over it in a couple of days.

My anxiety has slowly been creeping back... having a bad stomach every morning, worrying when I have to go out for a night out with friends, worrying all the time what people think of me etc etc. [butterflies, feeling sick, stomach churning, feeling sweaty and clammy]

Last year I had my first panic attack - I was in bed, and it just came out of no where. I was shaking, my heart was beating so fast I thought it would come out my chest, I was crying, couldn't breathe, everything hurt, my chest hurt etc. It was terrifying and because I thought I was having a heart attack it wouldn't stop for a long time. I felt very shaky for about a week after that.

Couple of months later I had another one, I had had a lot of drink and I had one when coming back from the loo, out of no where, I blacked out and woke up on the floor, with my arm bruised to hell as I hit the coffee table when I fainted.

Since then I've been obsessively checking my pulse every day, and it's always racing. I also get palpitations a lot - it races when I've eaten dinner, or I could be lying in bed reading, perfectly relaxed, and it just thuds really loudly like it's stopped for a moment - none of this helps my anxiety. They gave me 10mg beta blockers for this last year, but I don't think they did anything, they made me more aware of my heart beat more than ever, plus I had a crappy dr when I went back for some more, saying I shouldn't be having them at my age, thus I stopped taking them.

Then, last week I was just standing at the checkout with my boyfriend in the supermarket, when my legs turned to jelly, I felt shaky, my heart was racing, I was covered in sweat, so I went to sit down -I felt so faint. I went home and laid down, crying my eyes out as I was so scared.

Since then, I've had a panic attack every day - the other day I had to drive to the train station and back which is an hour and half, and I forgot how to breathe. I thought I was going to crash and die or something. I tried to breathe, but the more I tried the more awful I felt, my chest went tight, the more I tried to breathe normally, the less air I could get in my lungs etc - my legs went to jelly. When I drove back after picking up my sister, I was fine!

I keep getting jolts in my head since last week, like a head rush, but not really - like someone has a magnet on my head and it's sucking energy out of me. It really scares me, so I end up feeling faint and panicky.

I went to the DRs last week, and they're giving me a blood test tomorrow [to see what this head rush thing is about - are they panic attacks or something else?!] which I feel sick about - I pass out every time, so tonight I'm freaking out, my stomach is churning.

I keep thinking I have some sort of heart problem / brain tumour / cancer and I feel like I'm going mad. I'm a happy girl, with friends, great boyfriend, family, career - but this is all holding me back. It's like a secret torment thing I have going on. I really needed to let this out! I've just had enough. :(

Stormsky
10-06-13, 21:48
Get your blood pressure checked tomorrow too. I was feeling light headed for weeks, but my blood pressure is really low, which causes my symptoms it seems.
Your fears are what make you panic.

underthemoon
10-06-13, 21:51
I had it checked it last week and it was normal! I thought it would have been low too.

Stormsky
10-06-13, 22:01
Then it could be your anxiety levels...
Your story is very similar to the start of my Anx , that was 12 yrs ago... That doesn't mean you will suffer for years.. You need to nip it in the bud before it becomes deepset and harder to recover..
I had panic driving, the reason your better on return journey is because your going home to what you perceive as safety... I couldn't go in supermarket, queues were worst..I had to leave my shopping and get out..
Anx and panic are due to fear, fear we will pass out, fear we will make fools of ourselves, fear of dying, just fearing the next panic attack.. Then we fear its due to physical problem, as we can't understand what else causes it, so we fear all sorts of illness, all leading to more and more Anx and panic...
It's a cycle you must break...
I've been free if panic for years now, I lost all the fears keeping it alive...
I feel Anx occasionally but I don't get scared, and it dies off..
GPs are much more clued up on it these days, so you should get the help you need to recover.

underthemoon
10-06-13, 22:25
I hope so! I always feel like the drs feel like I'm a complete freak when I go, when I went with my palps, he said 'it's in your head, you don't get things like that at your ages' [I was 16] It lost my faith in drs, and it's safe to say I never went to him again!

I want this nipped in the bud definitely. I hate how it takes over your body and gives you all these symptoms. It's almost not believable!